Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ridiculous notion.

Also, before SG came in, when was the last time McGinn was on the bench, outside of injury and/or suspension?

Maybe for all his deficiencies, managers still see him as one of the better from a bad bunch for certain characteristics ( Rightly or wrongly so )

But to suggest that if we get better midfielders he is going to start, just because the Manager is thick, is a bit disengenuous.

McGinn right now, is struggling to play a role, he is clearly not suited to.....despite his robust stature, he is not a natural ball winner, he is more suited, to plying his trade, further forward....he hasn't the nose for stopping opponents....... fending them off, up front, maybe, but not tracking runners.

He is one of the few characters in the team and a team that is so devoid of characters and leadership....I think that is the main reason SG is loathe to leave him out for that reason.

However, Luiz and McGinn in the double pivot, lacks positional discipline amongst other things, they lack savvy for those roles....its been tried for yonks now and it doesn't work.....do we have alternatives, I would say ,I am not convinced we do...roll on the Summer, for another finger crossing excercise.

Imbalance, that we all talk about, left unchecked and it has, way before SG.....will eventually spread to the rest of the team, and it has, it has left us, brittle, unpredicatable, passive, fragile, call it what you will...inconsistency thrives.

I don't think changing personnel from this squad, makes much difference at the moment......but some how we have to get through 7 games....and we still need some points to be sure.

I have no idea, who is responsible for the recruitment i.e many faces.....but I am not happy, with the assembly of this squad per se.....sure we have some good players, but the blend is pants.

The question, posed by one fan yesterday in the ground , was......did Dean have much say in it?.....I don't know.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

McGinn right now, is struggling to play a role, he is clearly not suited to.....despite his robust stature, he is not a natural ball winner, he is more suited, to plying his trade, further forward....he hasn't the nose for stopping opponents....... fending them off, up front, maybe, but not tracking runners.

He is one of the few characters in the team and a team that is so devoid of characters and leadership....I think that is the main reason SG is loathe to leave him out for that reason.

However, Luiz and McGinn in the double pivot, lacks positional discipline amongst other things, they lack savvy for those roles....its been tried for yonks now and it doesn't work.....do we have alternatives, I would say ,I am not convinced we do...roll on the Summer, for another finger crossing excercise.

Imbalance, that we all talk about, left unchecked and it has, way before SG.....will eventually spread to the rest of the team, and it has, it has left us, brittle, unpredicatable, passive, fragile, call it what you will...inconsistency thrives.

I don't think changing personnel from this squad, makes much difference at the moment......but some how we have to get through 7 games....and we still need some points to be sure.

I have no idea, who is responsible for the recruitment i.e many faces.....but I am not happy, with the assembly of this squad per se.....sure we have some good players, but the blend is pants.

The question, posed by one fan yesterday in the ground , was......did Dean have much say in it?.....I don't know.

I genuinely don't even think we need an " overhaul ".

We just need 2 - 3 KEY players of high quality in a couple of positions.

I have a feeling McGinn could be a fireball and game changer off the bench.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

not sure 2 is enough.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fully agree. We dont need major rebuilding at all. A couple of additions and we be fine

3 years ago for example we were in the Championship playing Hutton and Whelan. We are Ok player wise

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Trying to be kind.

You're right though.

Probably 4 minimum.

Central spine ( CB | DCM | Striker ) plus " accessories ".

Its not right to pick out one player......but Konsa in the air.......words fail me.

3 times he gifted Kane opportunities.....I know Kane is world class, but the gifts were low grade.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its not right to pick out one player......but Konsa in the air.......words fail me.

3 times he gifted Kane opportunities.....I know Kane is world class, but the gifts were low grade.

I pointed out yesterday that I didn't want to either.

But in every goal replay I saw him flailing hopelessly 🤦🏿

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I pointed out yesterday that I didn't want to either.

But in every goal replay I saw him flailing hopelessly 🤦🏿

you have to say what you see, don't you?

his game, has gone at the moment.

I went to the supermarket the other day....and the mrs set about he shopping exploits....muttering away to her self, " buy one get one free" seemed to be successful......then some bargains made there way in to the trolley, I thought quietly she knows what she is doing.

We went to the fish counter and Salmon was on offer and we had a nice piece of that.....The trolley was slowly filling up, when I asked, defensively.......what did you actually come for, she said "Bread"...I said, but we haven't got any yet, and by the time we get to it, it could be gone....Well all was left was a thick sliced and we wanted medium.

....now this analogy is going somewhere, because in my humble opinion, that is exactly, what I think we have been doing, securing bargains or opportunities and not necessarily addressing the team in the manner that we have....its now like a patchwork quilt.

blending a team is not easy, but you have to have discipline in the transfer market not to be distracted and buy players, that are not priority for the team.

I hope above all else, we sign players in the summer, that we need, not because its a good buy, we can't pass over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I went to the supermarket the other day....and the mrs set about he shopping exploits....muttering away to her self, " buy one get one free" seemed to be successful......then some bargains made there way in to the trolley, I thought quietly she knows what she is doing.

We went to the fish counter and Salmon was on offer and we had a nice piece of that.....The trolley was slowly filling up, when I asked, defensively.......what did you actually come for, she said "Bread"...I said, but we haven't got any yet, and by the time we get to it, it could be gone....Well all was left was a thick sliced and we wanted medium.

....now this analogy is going somewhere, because in my humble opinion, that is exactly, what I think we have been doing, securing bargains or opportunities and not necessarily addressing the team in the manner that we have....its now like a patchwork quilt.

blending a team is not easy, but you have to have discipline in the transfer market not to be distracted and buy players, that are not priority for the team.

I hope above all else, we sign players in the summer, that we need, not because its a good buy, we can't pass over.

Forget James Joyce. TRO's Ulysses is the story that I really want to read.

• Haha 1

I’m not going to write him off just yet but Konsa has really let himself down in the last few weeks/ month. I think one of your two centre backs needs to be a beast in the air and right now Mings and Konsa are too timid. Kane destroyed Konsa yesterday and he didn’t even have that streak to go through him, make him think about the next one. Look at him towards Romero, every time a Villa player played the ball off he left something on them.

For this reason I’d take Gomez in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Trying to be kind.

You're right though.

Probably 4 minimum.

Central spine ( CB | DCM | Striker ) plus " accessories ".

Likely outs for me:

McGinn, Luiz (if he doesn’t sign a new deal) AEG, Trez, Targett, Konsa, Watkins, Traore. 

• Like 1

Feels like a key summer. If gerrard is going to stay, he’ll need backing to bring in centre backs and midfield that blends together. However, I’m not convinced at all that our current transfer policy has a lot of input from the management on the football side. Tro’s analogy of shopping in the reduced section is pretty accurate. Not convinced that either smith or Gerard will have actual wanted sanson, digne fro example. 
the digne transfer is particularly baffling to me, certainly on current showing. 
Personally, I don’t feel that we are that far away from a top 7-9 side with the current squad but we look like we need to work out how our midfield is going to work as a unit and we desperately Need a top class partner for mings. Oh and another left back to balance the side and release Ramsey would be lovely too! 

32 minutes ago, tommytenjobs said:

Feels like a key summer. If gerrard is going to stay, he’ll need backing to bring in centre backs and midfield that blends together. However, I’m not convinced at all that our current transfer policy has a lot of input from the management on the football side. Tro’s analogy of shopping in the reduced section is pretty accurate. Not convinced that either smith or Gerard will have actual wanted sanson, digne fro example. 
the digne transfer is particularly baffling to me, certainly on current showing. 
Personally, I don’t feel that we are that far away from a top 7-9 side with the current squad but we look like we need to work out how our midfield is going to work as a unit and we desperately Need a top class partner for mings. Oh and another left back to balance the side and release Ramsey would be lovely too! 

Surely Digne was a Gerrard signing?  Reading between the lines he clearly thought Targett was shite and got Digne in at the first opportunity.  I suspect he will be trying to sign similar stature of player to replace Konsa, Luiz and possibly Watkins.  Established in the league, big transfer fees and huge wages.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

How about Pukki?
Better than Watkins and Ings

Proven partnership with Buendia too. At 32, not a long term investment, but if we could get him for a snip I'd have him ahead of either of our current 2 tbh

I’d love to see a big overhaul this Summer. As much as I like some of our players, we’re going nowhere with this group. Martinez, Coutinho, Digne, Cash, Mings, Ramsey and Buendia aside, I genuinely couldn’t care less who leaves.