Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

The mirror reckons 8 players up for sale, ings being one of them. Sorry i cant link from my phone but says

Konsa, trez, traore, aeg, ings, luiz mings and will consider good offers for sanson + bailey

Id keep the latter two as i think they are good. I doubt mings will bw sold. But the rest can definitely go. Luiz dont look like he wants to hang around so bye bye. Konsa is absolutely hopeless as seen yesterday so definitely has to go.  Ings sorry but the move just hasnt worked out. A strange signing get rid.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

A common idea is the ideal midfield should be a trio of 7ft cavemen who threaten the opposition into submission.

Does seem to be a lot of focus on off the ball stuff rather that on the ball. Probably a remnant from the years we spent circling the drain before we got relegated.

'Both are equally important for a mid table team but atm Luiz is our only CM (Sanson never plays) comfortable with the ball. Removing him and adding Bissouma would not really sort our off the ball issues much but make us so much worse with the ball.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Does seem to be a lot of focus on off the ball stuff rather that on the ball. Probably a remnant from the years we spent circling the drain before we got relegated.

'Both are equally important for a mid table team but atm Luiz is our only CM (Sanson never plays) comfortable with the ball. Removing him and adding Bissouma would not really sort our off the ball issues much but make us so much worse with the ball.

Alot of fans have a clamour for a big DM it's a carryover from the likes of Arsenal being called out for never replacing Viera (forgetting he wasn't just a destroyer).

Arsenal, Villa, United fans just off the top of my head have been wanting one for years. Spurs before they signed Højberg wanted 'more bite/nastiness' in midfield. Fabinho hailed as the final piece of the midfield at Liverpool.

It's one of those typical footballing prototypes that lingers in the fans' minds. It isn't a Villa thing. Fans want a competing, strong and aggressive midfield. That often comes with a big brute, if it instead comes in the form of Makelele, Kante, Ndidi - great.

But unless it's 'find the next Makelele/Kante' it's 'get a big destroyer'.

Both of those phrases get derided at some point. But the crux of it, is find someone who runs the midfield. 

I know it's only paper talk - but this morning s rumours would seem to suggest our summer warchest isn't as big as we first thought.

Makes me wonder if the club aren't convinced by Gerrard's plans.

Certainly Bisouma, Gomez, and a striker isn't going to transform us and Stevie G will have to get a tune out of existing players - something he has struggled with so far 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I know it's only paper talk - but this morning s rumours would seem to suggest our summer warchest isn't as big as we first thought.

So why are you making silly assumptions? 

Bold leap to make from an article in the Mirror. 

Certainly Bisouma, Gomez, and a striker isn't going to transform us and Stevie G will have to get a tune out of existing players - something he has struggled with so far 

So a better defender, a better midfielder, and a better striker won’t transform us? That’s the spine of the team. 

Just now, av1 said:

So why are you making silly assumptions? 

Bold leap to make from an article in the Mirror. 

So a better defender, a better midfielder, and a better striker won’t transform us? That’s the spine of the team. 

Wait and see.

Personally if we are going to be a bit more tentative with funds for  Stevie G that's a prudent move.

Yes those signings (Gomez excepted) should improve us. But I'm guessing they won't. 

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

I dunno, I think it's just Stevies M.O. he got through something ridiculous like 49 players during his 3 years at Rangers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Wait and see.

Personally if we are going to be a bit more tentative with funds for  Stevie G that's a prudent move.

Yes those signings (Gomez excepted) should improve us. But I'm guessing they won't. 

Out of interest, if it does work and we improve, will you start supporting the team again or will the anti Gerrard agenda remain? Genuine question. It feels as though he will never be good enough for some people regardless of what he does. If true, why is that? I have always really admired him as a player, leader and manager so am interested to know why some people are so against him.

8 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

It took gerrard 4 years to build a team at rangers that could beat cowdenbeath 4nil....just saying😄

Didn't they win the league in his third year? That would do for me at Villa Park...just saying. ;)

On the subject of potential summer targets Enock Mwepu looked very good for Brighton yesterday. No doubt they would want £50m for him too though. 

I’ve just read the mirror article. It’s got a couple of facts wrong so I suspect that, not surprisingly, we can treat the speculation as utter rubbish too. I feel dirty just having to log in to the website! Off for a shower!

Just now, M_Afro said:

Out of interest, if it does work and we improve, will you start supporting the team again or will the anti Gerrard agenda remain? Genuine question. It feels as though he will never be good enough for some people regardless of what he does. If true, why is that? I have always really admired him as a player, leader and manager so am interested to know why some people are so against him.

I agree with your prognosis. There are a fair few who will never accept Gerrard. Rightly or wrongly and that's not a healthy place for the club to be (one for Purslow !!!).

I think that bringing in a DM , CB + Striker only would be a smart move. It's enough for Stevie G (or any coach) to be able to see a marked improvement.

If the improvement comes - great. If it doesn't then he has to fall on his sword.

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Christ. 

I found somewhere (footballscotland.co.uk) saying he signed 38 players during his time there.

I'm sure I read 49 earlier in the year - but that may include the initial team he inherited and selling 11 further to those he signed.

I'm sure I can trawl through Transfermarkt to count exactly but the tldr is that Gerrard treats his Football Management career like Football Manager.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

The Summer window will become a lot harder the further we slide down the league.

These results may not feel that important because we’re safe, but they’ll be damaging the appeal of the club and other players will take notice.

The players in this side are too comfortable losing. Some of them need to be replaced. Good luck finding the players to come in and do it though..

Don’t forget the 4m per place also…..

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hippo said:

If the club weren’t convinced by Gerrard’s plans they would be looking to replace him, not limit the amount of money available to strengthen the squad.

Doesn’t matter who the manager is, they will be backed as much as possible to give them the best chance of achieving the objectives of the club and the manager.

Otherwise we might as well write off next season already.

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

I agree with your prognosis. There are a fair few who will never accept Gerrard. Rightly or wrongly and that's not a healthy place for the club to be (one for Purslow !!!).

I think that bringing in a DM , CB + Striker only would be a smart move. It's enough for Stevie G (or any coach) to be able to see a marked improvement.

If the improvement comes - great. If it doesn't then he has to fall on his sword.

I think that’s fair enough. Hopefully we will bring in 2 centre mids though. I would be happy with those 4 and I agree there could be no excuses after that. I really believe he will get it right though and expect him to still be here in 2 years time.

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

If the club weren’t convinced by Gerrard’s plans they would be looking to replace him, not limit the amount of money available to strengthen the squad.

Doesn’t matter who the manager is, they will be backed as much as possible to give them the best chance of achieving the objectives of the club and the manager.

Otherwise we might as well write off next season already.

Maybe they aren't comfortable with either option.

It's perhaps to early to dismiss him  - but they aren't going to sign off silly money on his say so.

Just now, hippo said:

Maybe they aren't comfortable with either option.

It's perhaps to early to dismiss him  - but they aren't going to sign off silly money on his say so.

Personally I think it’s too early to bring in a new manager. But I’d be concerned if funding was held back on the off chance things didn’t work out for Gerrard. Still can’t see that happening though.

Although I think I would just give up if we sold Bailey and Sanson, only to bring in Wijnaldum and Suarez.

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Personally I think it’s too early to bring in a new manager. But I’d be concerned if funding was held back on the off chance things didn’t work out for Gerrard. Still can’t see that happening though.

Although I think I would just give up if we sold Bailey and Sanson, only to bring in Wijnaldum and Suarez.

Fair point.

But let's say Stevie G had managed another PL club before villa. At said club he had spent a fair bit but transformed them to a top six side.  I think the money people at villa would be prepared to go the extra mile on available funds.

As it stands maybe they are getting a tad jumpy 

All imo of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Fair point.

But let's say Stevie G had managed another PL club before villa. At said club he had spent a fair bit but transformed them to a top six side.  I think the money people at villa would be prepared to go the extra mile on available funds.

As it stands maybe they are getting a tad jumpy 

All imo of course.

They're not, don't worry.

Or do worry.

Depends on your perspective really.