Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Luiz is a superior footballer to Bissouma who was the worst player on the pitch when we played Brighton recently and has been dropped and dragged off in recent weeks in one of the poorest teams in the league on form.

As for Phillips he is an injury prone clogger who could easily be a one season wonder, seen him dominated in the Championship by lesser known midfielders

Luiz divides opinion. Bissouma has gone off the boil but I cannot agree about Phillips. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Luiz is a superior footballer to Bissouma who was the worst player on the pitch when we played Brighton recently and has been dropped and dragged off in recent weeks in one of the poorest teams in the league on form.

As for Phillips he is an injury prone clogger who could easily be a one season wonder, seen him dominated in the Championship by lesser known midfielders

Right, but you're missing the point. The 2 players you're talking about on our side are one who is eternally played out of position (and if he was deemed good enough to play his natural role, he would certainly be in it), and another who has a handful of appearances, has shown nothing beyond not looking out of his depth, and who's agent seems determined to get him out of the club as soon as possible. Replacing Martinez with Scott Carson would be dismal. Replacing the 2 you mentioned with either of the other 2 you mentioned might be sideways at worst.

3 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Right, but you're missing the point. The 2 players you're talking about on our side are one who is eternally played out of position (and if he was deemed good enough to play his natural role

So who would you play as the DCM currently? McGinn, Ramsey, Ings?

When Nakamba was fit Luiz played as an 8 alongside him until Nakamba got injured. Then he was moved to the 6 because we have no option. You might not like Luiz as a 6 but the alternative is far, far worse regardless of who we chose. 

Do wonder how people expect our team to get the ball from defense to Coutinho if we play a midfield of Nakamba, McGinn and Ramsey. Is the plan to have Mings punt it and then hope Coutinho or Buendi wins it against the CB's and opponent DCM?

Luiz remains the only CM we have who is comfortable with the ball during buildup. Adding Bissouma or Phillips wont change that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sne said:

So who would you play as the DCM currently? McGinn, Ramsey, Ings?

When Nakamba was fit Luiz played as an 8 alongside him until Nakamba got injured. Then he was moved to the 6 because we have no option. You might not like Luiz as a 6 but the alternative is far, far worse regardless of who we chose. 

Do wonder how people expect our team to get the ball from defense to Coutinho if we play a midfield of Nakamba, McGinn and Ramsey. Is the plan to have Mings punt it and then hope Coutinho or Buendi wins it against the CB's and opponent DCM?

Luiz remains the only CM we have who is comfortable with the ball during buildup. Adding Bissouma or Phillips wont change that.

And the previous 2 seasons where he was played there?

Villa without the Douglas Luiz who has been on the pitch since he's been here isn't all that much weaker. If he was a world beater playing as an 8 we'd be playing him as an 8 and would've found someone else to shoehorn in as a 6 - and we'd probably be having a discussion like "Well McGinn/Sanson/A.N. Other isn't a 6, but he's the best option that we have"

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why does Luiz divide opinion? Sometimes we don’t half underrate our own. For me, he’s an excellent midfield player who will only get better in the coming years, he is still young

Depends on what kind of form we are in and any given result. I feel like criticism levelled at both Dougie and McGinn addresses and reflects times where the team dynamic and plan is lacking, as much if not more than it is individual player performance analysis. 

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Depends on what kind of form we are in and any given result. I feel like criticism levelled at both Dougie and McGinn addresses and reflects times where the team dynamic and plan is lacking, as much if not more than it is individual player performance analysis. 

You phrased that well, I think you could be on to something here

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Or when they’re crap, we’re crap?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why does Luiz divide opinion? Sometimes we don’t half underrate our own. For me, he’s an excellent midfield player who will only get better in the coming years, he is still young

You say this about every player. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I mean where to start with this.  Sorry but you seriously think luiz is a better defensive midfielder than Bissouma and Phillips.  he's not bad but.

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I like the Darwin Nunez link.

Apparently he's changing agents as soon as season ends and going to link up with Mendes so that will hike the price up. We won't be signing him I'm fairly sure.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tezzaleed said:

I mean where to start with this.  Sorry but you seriously think luiz is a better defensive midfielder than Bissouma and Phillips.  he's not bad but.

I said footballer for a start and Bissouma is not a defensive midfielder. Phillips would be decent in the 90s when you could be a clogger in midfield but for me he is no better than Gavin McCann was and nobody was overpaying for him back in the day

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Define excellent. 

Probably compared to what we've had in the last decade. I mean Digne isn't seen as that good yet he played 90 minutes for the reigning world cup winners on Tuesday. I do think Luiz has dipped last few months but again he was starting for Brazil not so long ago and Coutinho is again now. We had two different players scoring for England midweek.

In terms of internationals it's arguably stronger than what we had in MON reign and the years afterwards when Vlaar having that good world cup was as exciting as it got.

So we have plenty of good international players now but never a guarantee that will translate into solid club form as many clubs above us in the league (and indeed below) also have loads of good international players.

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Or when they’re crap, we’re crap?

Two midfielders of an assigned ensemble of three playing crap is most definitely likely to compromise the whole team outfits performance and chance of success.

Identifying why they are playing crap is pivotal in understanding if personnel changes are required or if managerial and instructional ones are more what's necessary. Or perhaps it's that adaptation to new tactics and sequences are proving difficult, going beyond what's desired or expected. Even the best players can dwindle in a setup that's proving integration to be more challenging than what was presumed beforehand.

Number of aspects to look at if we want to.

Edited by A'Villan