What do you dislike most about yourself?

KentVillan

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I went through a pretty low point in my mid 20s after university. Unemployed and broke, and little idea how to get out of it. Fortunately I had the support of a few good friends to see me through it. Ended up stumbling into a programming training course, met my missus, and things turned around. Luck. Sheer luck. 

Recognise much of this from my own life in fairness, stumbled through my early/mid 20s with little direction, on the session too much and generally making myself miserable. Met my fiance at 26 and have subsequently fallen into something which I enjoy and can forge something of a stable career out of.

Likewise, I'm aware that much of that is down to luck more than any special effort or personal drive, but you play the hand that life gives you I guess.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 10:24, Chindie said:

My mental/stomach problems. 

Legitimately has ruined my life. If I didn't have it, literally everything would be different, better. It dictates and dominates everything.

I know what you mean. Well, the stomach side of it. 

People say having kids changes your life. So does having a chronic illness. As you say, it dominates everything. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I know what you mean. Well, the stomach side of it. 

People say having kids changes your life. So does having a chronic illness. As you say, it dominates everything. 

Indeed. It's destroyed my life. What's left isn't really a life, and not the life I would have wanted to lead. I'm lucky you can't get guns easily here because if that option was around I'd have done myself in by now.

• Sad 1

Besides the illness the list of things I dislike about myself could fill a phone book.

Physically I have dark deep set eyes that make me look like a junkie with the bags under them. That's exacerbated by being very pale skinned generally.

I suffer badly with headaches, particularly when I was younger these were full blown migraines (days in a dark room bad), now I just will get a niggly headache once or twice a week usually.

I've got a weird nose with a high narrow bridge leading into a very steep drop which I've never liked and doesn't work with glasses very well.

My ears stick out at the top. If they were pointy I'd look like a really ugly elf.

I share elements of both my parents teeth. My dad had very strong uniform teeth, my mom had teeth that had the structural integrity of talc. I have teeth that look good with strong roots but get problems very easily.

I don't like my voice. I've been told I have a good voice but I don't like it.

I'm decently tall, 6ft1, but I naturally hunch a little and my proportions are off with shorter legs than than you'd expect from a someone my height.

I've inherited my dad's walk, a striding gait that at school people laughed at and since then I've had to deny being a copper repeatedly. It's so distinctive I once met an old family acquaintance, someone I'd never actually met before, who introduced himself with 'you walk just like your dad you know'.

Mentally, a psychiatrist would have a field day. I suffer terribly with imposter syndrome. I self sabotage constantly. But I will then beat myself up over every little thing that goes wrong and find making a mistake in anything will enrage me. Motivation for anything gets sapped very quickly and I don't find enjoyment in much. I don't trust easily and bear grudges, and don't forgive wrongs or slights, doubly so if I have done someone a good turn that is not honoured (another thing from my dad, who would overnight cut someone off if they wronged him). I also struggle with social relationships, I'm not really interested in people's lives and I struggle to keep in touch with people - I'm not someone who will call up to touch base with someone, I need to have a reason to speak to someone, as a result i lose contact with people and am alone. I view making that phonecall as intruding and it doesn't sit with my modus operandi of 'leave people alone'. This extends to family and loved ones.

And so on...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Besides the illness the list of things I dislike about myself could fill a phone book.

Physically I have dark deep set eyes that make me look like a junkie with the bags under them. That's exacerbated by being very pale skinned generally.

I suffer badly with headaches, particularly when I was younger these were full blown migraines (days in a dark room bad), now I just will get a niggly headache once or twice a week usually.

I've got a weird nose with a high narrow bridge leading into a very steep drop which I've never liked and doesn't work with glasses very well.

My ears stick out at the top. If they were pointy I'd look like a really ugly elf.

I share elements of both my parents teeth. My dad had very strong uniform teeth, my mom had teeth that had the structural integrity of talc. I have teeth that look good with strong roots but get problems very easily.

I'm decently tall, 6ft1, but I naturally hunch a little and my proportions are off with shorter legs than than you'd expect from a someone my height.

I've inherited my dad's walk, a striding gait that at school people laughed at and since then I've had to deny being a copper repeatedly. It's so distinctive I once met an old family acquaintance, someone I'd never actually met before, who introduced himself with 'you walk just like your dad you know'.

Mentally, a psychiatrist would have a field day. I suffer terribly with imposter syndrome. I self sabotage constantly. But I will then beat myself up over every little thing that goes wrong and find making a mistake in anything will enrage me. Motivation for anything gets sapped very quickly and I don't find enjoyment in much. I don't trust easily and bear grudges, and don't forgive wrongs or slights, doubly so if I have done someone a good turn that is not honoured (another thing from my dad, who would overnight cut someone off if they wronged him). I also struggle with social relationships, I'm not really interested in people's lives and I struggle to keep in touch with people - I'm not someone who will call up to touch base with someone, I need to have a reason to speak to someone, as a result i lose contact with people and am alone. I view making that phonecall as intruding and it doesn't sit with my modus operandi of 'leave people alone'. This extends to family and loved ones.

And so on...

At least you support the glorious Aston Villa!

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

Nobody likes their own voice when they hear it recorded and played back. It's because it sounds different from when you hear it 'from inside your skull' as it were. Even worse for those of us who have plucked up the nerve to sing in public, and hear that recorded. But with time and repetition you can learn to tolerate it. 

Possibly the fact that I talk (and write) too much.

I do try not to sometimes but don't always succeed. And this is a very good opportunity to sincerely apologise to all you VTers for having posted too many long posts in the last few years. Sorry. 😔 Embarrassed. (Then again, I suppose many of you have probably skipped those ones or a lot of them, sensibly, which makes me feel a little better).  Wait... this is starting to turn into... a long post! 😮 Nooooooo! 😑😔

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Being clumsy/accident prone.

Just had a shower, went to fridge to get some Pepsi (still in towel).

Saw chillies on top shelf and decided to move them - which knocked a half-used pot of plain yoghurt onto the floor.

The lid popped off and the yohurt went everywhere, including directly upwards to splash my gonads.

Oh well I suppose I won't get **** thrush now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Saw chillies on top shelf and decided to move them - which knocked a half-used pot of plain yoghurt onto the floor.

The lid popped off and the yohurt went everywhere, including directly upwards to splash my gonads.

Don't you have a dog? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't you have a dog? 

I'd have asked the wife to help but she's visiting her daughter in London

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing I dislike most about myself is now officially the fact that I have the image of @rjw63 wearing nothing but a towel, yoghurt dripping from his ballbag, firmly lodged in my head. 

I won’t be able to have a decent w@nk in weeks. 

…or will I? 🤫

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

That's a great story. I'll use it with my gf next time I want my nads licked 🤣

• Haha 1

Â