Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i really think that's a factor. 16m is such a small fee these days everyone's immediate reaction is "whats wrong with him?"

Yet this board complains that the club aren’t finding young cheap gems like Yves before he was the star at Brighton or Ndidi, Soumare or Daka at Leicester or whoever, yet a starter for Juventus, aged 24 for £16m gets the reaction you mention.

I know nothing about him but the club seem to be doing what this board wanted.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i really think that's a factor. 16m is such a small fee these days everyone's immediate reaction is "whats wrong with him?"

To be fair it is one of the things that has me slightly concerned.  I've checked his appearance stats, I've seen analysis of his attributes, I saw the analysis that placed him in the elite group of young players in Europe and I saw parts of a MotM performance in the one game since he has been linked.  All of which have been hugely impressive. 

On the downside - I probably do have a view that we need a DCM with excellent tackling stats and pretty good passing stats.  Bentancur's ball-winning skills seem to be based more on interceptions and pressures rather than tackles.  So given that part of the reason (in my opinion!) that Luiz and McGinn have struggled at times to give us that firm midfield base is that they are not strong enough tacklers - there is a worry that bringing in someone else like that doesn't address the issue.  That said I do think that Gerrard is gearing us up to play to dominate possession rather than our more traditional counter-attack approach - in which case Bentancur's ball retention and progression stats make much more sense and also interceptions start to become more important than tackles because teams are more likely to be counter-attacking against us.  So in that regards I am getting less worried by the "skill gap" and more impressed by the remaining skills.  He also gets Luiz further upfield, gives McGinn some extra cover so he can press a bit higher up the pitch, all looking good.

Obviously he has never played in the PL so there is always a risk there.  Some players adapt, other don't.  In Serie A you do tend to get a little more time on the ball and there are generally fewer sliding tackles coming in (certain in the middle of the pitch).  So will he adapt?  Who knows.  But the fact that he has so much Champions League experience and international experience suggests that he is used to adapting to different styles of opposition.

So then there is the question of the fee.  Based on the above I'd be thinking that his fee would be in the £30-40m mark (or higher if Bissouma is reportedly £45m).  Why is it so much lower?  It's not like he can't get matches or has had a spat with the manager (like Digne) or that Juve are completely broke (like Coutinho).  It does make me worry that something is too good to be true.  However, our scouting / recruitment team seem to have a pretty high strike rate over the last 2 seasons so ultimately if they are seeing something that they like and can negotiate a seemingly great price then I'm more than prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Signing him now also makes complete sense - a few months to adjust to the pace of the PL, get to know his team mates and then be ready to push from the start of next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s cheap in that sense but it’s only cheap if he improves the team, which as I’m sure you’ve recognised now, I don’t think he will. It’s a waste of money if he comes in and just sits on the bench and we can’t get rid of him. 

Is this purely based on fans forums?  Because, if so, what the ****? 😐 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is this purely based on fans forums?  Because, if so, what the ****? 😐 

Was the same from the same poster because Lyon fans said Traore was shit amd has continues even when Traore played well 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was the same from the same poster because Lyon fans said Traore was shit amd has continues even when Traore played well 

Has probably played well on a handful of occasions and will be sold in the Summer. 

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yet this board complains that the club aren’t finding young cheap gems like Yves before he was the star at Brighton or Ndidi, Soumare or Daka at Leicester or whoever, yet a starter for Juventus, aged 24 for £16m gets the reaction you mention.

I know nothing about him but the club seem to be doing what this board wanted.

I mean to be fair, this board isn't, as far as I can tell, one singular entity debating within itself under obscure usernames only to eventually settle on a singular conclusion for its vision for the future direction of the club.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Has probably played well on a handful of occasions and will be sold in the Summer. 

Traore 2nd best goal involvement and 2nd best assist involvement per minutes played for Villa player last season. To dismiss that is just silly

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

It's like people have totally forgotten that he got 7 goals and 7 assists in 29 starts literally 6 months ago. 

Couldn't make it up. 

Only 2 less G/A than Raphinha who was the breakout winger of the season, for comparison 

Â