Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

He played really well for Sweden yesterday, Austria would have been 3-4 goals up if it wasn't for him in the first half. And continued to make some top class saves in the second. Could have done a bit better on the first goal. Austria is not a bad team either, leading the group.

PL still seems to physical for him and too high tempo, and he is not at all suited to Emery's tactics where the GK need to be comfortable on the ball. But it's no question that he is a good international class GK.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He played really well for Sweden yesterday, Austria would have been 3-4 goals up if it wasn't for him in the first half. And continued to make some top class saves in the second. Could have done a bit better on the first goal. Austria is not a bad team either, leading the group.

PL still seems to physical for him and too high tempo, and he is not at all suited to Emery's tactics where the GK need to be comfortable on the ball. But it's no question that he is a good international class GK.

Wonder if a full preseason with Emery and his goalkeeping coach would do him well.

Emi actually improved certain aspects of his game since Unai and team have come in.

His sweeping , playing out and distribution seems to have improved.

26 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Do Austria have any PL-level attackers? 

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wonder if a full preseason with Emery and his goalkeeping coach would do him well.

Emi actually improved certain aspects of his game since Unai and team have come in.

I'm highly sceptical. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

his main problem is that he cant move, he has the speed and agility of a sloth, and him getting to the ground looks like a 2500 year old oak tree slowly creaking as it falls.

And it really stands out at PL level.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

his main problem is that he cant move, he has the speed and agility of a sloth, and him getting to the ground looks like a 2500 year old oak tree slowly creaking as it falls.

And it really stands out at PL level.

Seems like something you have made up in your head there, I could list many things Olsen is not good at and not suited to the PL for, but if it is one thing he is good at it’s getting to the ground quickly, especially for such a tall GK.

Lovre Kalinic on the other hand was slow getting to the ground.

55 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Olsen is too dodgy with his feet tbh, as much faith as I have in Emery I dont think he can improve on that to a sufficient level.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Seems like something you have made up in your head there, I could list many things Olsen is not good at and not suited to the PL for, but if it is one thing he is good at it’s getting to the ground quickly, especially for such a tall GK.

Lovre Kalinic on the other hand was slow getting to the ground.

I'm with @MaVilla here. 

Olsen is sooo slow. He goes down in installments. 

Think back to the Brentford match for two classic examples. 

The missed open goal comes from him not moving his feet to the bounce quick enough and their goal, although difficulty to stop, highlights how he can't really move across the ground either. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Not really, more of a good allround team, dont know their players that well. They have Arnautovic, and the one famous in the Grealish thread - the Grillitsch guy 😄 

Well, let's just hope that some club was watching, was impressed and wants to take him off our hands. I can't see him ever being good enough for us. 

21 hours ago, May-Z said:

I'm with @MaVilla here. 

Olsen is sooo slow. He goes down in installments. 

Think back to the Brentford match for two classic examples. 

The missed open goal comes from him not moving his feet to the bounce quick enough and their goal, although difficulty to stop, highlights how he can't really move across the ground either. 

I think we are talking about different things here. Slow when crawling on the ground as in the Brentford mistake yes. Fumbling with the ball yes. Moving slowly across the line, perhaps yes. But - one of his best features is that he goes to ground quickly, especially with his foot-parades, and that he is quite agile in that sense, not at least for being so tall, also means he has good range with his long legs and arms.

Many on here judge him on the few games for villa (and yes he has been woeful and shouldnt have been signed in the first place). But for ppl who have followed his career in the Swedish National team the picture is a bit more nuanced.

Just as an example the Swedish manager (whom I’d like to be dismissed btw) said there is no GK in the world he’d rather have than Robin Olsen, or something like that. I hugely disagree, but it says quite much about Olsen nevertheless compared to some of the adolecent comments about him on here (not aimed at you or MaVilla)

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

21 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think we are talking about different things here. Slow when crawling on the ground as in the Brentford mistake yes. Fumbling with the ball yes. Moving slowly across the line, perhaps yes. But - one of his best features is that he goes to ground quickly, especially with his foot-parades, and that he is quite agile in that sense, not at least for being so tall, also means he has good range with his long legs and arms.

Many on here judge him on the few games for villa (and yes he has been woeful and shouldnt have been signed in the first place). But for ppl who have followed his career in the Swedish National team the picture is a bit more nuanced.

Just as an example the Swedish manager (whom I’d like to be dismissed btw) said there is no GK in the world he’d rather have than Robin Olsen, or something like that. I hugely disagree, but it says quite much about Olsen nevertheless compared to some of the adolecent comments about him on here (not aimed at you or MaVilla)

I'll admit I haven't seen him outside of Villa...but his work in the Premier League is the most important thing to look at imo. I just don't think we have seen this agility in the PL , certainly not enough to class it as one of his strengths. 

Ultimately, he's not a good fit for us and by the sounds of it hasn't shown his best whisky he's been here. 

Â