Lucas Digne

villan-scott

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

So why did we give them 25m for a left back they were desperate to get rid of.

More than one bidder, you pay market value. He was a brilliant player for Everton until the Benitez season. Yes we put him on the top wages of £120k like Ings and then Coutinho. But he was a senior player and you have to pay those wages for the proven players. 

Whem Moreno was linked people were bemused because Digne had done very well (like the rest of the squad) under Emery. Moreno was just a ridiculously good player and cost a ridiculously cheap sum of money. Emery had to buy him

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The same window they spent 29 million and signed Alli which could have brought the spending up to nearly 70 million that window

You sell a player you book a profit, you buy a player you spread the cost over multiple years. They booked £20m from the Digne sale in their accounts. 

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Having 130k a week back up left backs or whatever are absolutely not where we are as a club.

Its where we will be, got to start somewhere

And then factor in more no as first choice won't be on that much, it's ass about tit but at a stretch were paying 2 left backs £200k a week between them, is that really that outlandish??

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

More than one bidder, you pay market value. He was a brilliant player for Everton until the Benitez season. Yes we put him on the top wages of £120k like Ings and then Coutinho. But he was a senior player and you have to pay those wages for the proven players. 

Whem Moreno was linked people were bemused because Digne had done very well (like the rest of the squad) under Emery. Moreno was just a ridiculously good player and cost a ridiculously cheap sum of money. Emery had to buy him

This is what I thought unless I’m missing something. One of the best attacking left backs in the league and I’m sure Everton fans were annoyed at how he was being used. It actually reminds me a bit of how Gerrard “saw right through Mings.”

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

My Everton supporting season ticket holder friend say he wasn’t the same before Benitez came in and was in decline long before.

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its where we will be, got to start somewhere

And then factor in more no as first choice won't be on that much, it's ass about tit but at a stretch were paying 2 left backs £200k a week between them, is that really that outlandish??

Yes. We're not even in Europa. We are top 20 for wages in the whole of Europe and if not for Emery being a magician we'd be well and truly screwed, a laughing stock.

Edited by rodders0223

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yes. We're not even in Europa. We are top 20 for wages in the whole of Europe and if not for Emery being a magician we'd be well and truly screwed, a laughing stock.

Top 20 in europe doesn't mean a fat lot

Where are we in the PL? I'd bet out of the teams below us only Brighton have a lower wage bill and a couple of those above us won't just be higher they'll be triple ours

Its more for the games gone thread, it is what it is and it'll get worse rather than better, Digne and coutinho get a wage that they don't earn but it's balanced by a few of the starters being relatively under paid

23 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This is what I thought unless I’m missing something. One of the best attacking left backs in the league and I’m sure Everton fans were annoyed at how he was being used. It actually reminds me a bit of how Gerrard “saw right through Mings.”

Chelsea were considering signing him the same window as us because of injury to Chilwell. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I’m delighted we have a back up option of Digne’s calibre. 

No need to sell unless he forces it or any offer is FFP neutral and we can then get a younger upgrade. 

I think Digne would like to move as he see how ridiculously good Moreno is and a player who has a different profile to Digne. Moreno is very fast and gets to the byline for cut backs and edge of the box for low crosses. Digne doesn't have that pace and is more suited to quality crosses from deeper. 

A player can be very good but we are a system team and the left back is a key wide forward in possession, so has to get up into attack quickly and then back. Also we want pace in the front 3 as shown by Moreno, Watkins, Bailey being the most played front 3 in terms of our in possession 3 box 3 

Digne is a very good player if you want an experienced "traditional" attacking left back who has a very good delivery. His xAG has been in the top 20% of all Full backs in the PL nearly every season. He creates changes

42 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Digne would like to move as he see how ridiculously good Moreno is and a player who has a different profile to Digne. Moreno is very fast and gets to the byline for cut backs and edge of the box for low crosses. Digne doesn't have that pace and is more suited to quality crosses from deeper. 

A player can be very good but we are a system team and the left back is a key wide forward in possession, so has to get up into attack quickly and then back. Also we want pace in the front 3 as shown by Moreno, Watkins, Bailey being the most played front 3 in terms of our in possession 3 box 3 

Digne is a very good player if you want an experienced "traditional" attacking left back who has a very good delivery. His xAG has been in the top 20% of all Full backs in the PL nearly every season. He creates changes

That’s exactly why we should retain him as he offers something different to Moreno and in certain games might be the better option. For example, where there is a weakness down the opposition’s left flank you’d probably want a more defensive minded left back and a more aggressive right back to attack that weakness. 

• Like 2

On 15/07/2023 at 12:09, Xela said:

Digne is still a very good player and will start the season as our left back. No problem with that. 

He's not a bad player but his attacking stats are disappointing.

4 assists and 1 goal is okay but he only got three shots on target out of 28 attempts.

On 15/07/2023 at 12:56, villa4europe said:

at a stretch were paying 2 left backs £200k a week between them, is that really that outlandish??

Our total salary budget is around £100m.  We’re paying £10m just on left-backs. It’s a bit excessive and limits the budget to spend on the rest of the squad. 

30 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Our total salary budget is around £100m.  We’re paying £10m just on left-backs. It’s a bit excessive and limits the budget to spend on the rest of the squad. 

Well £100m divided between 11 positions gives an average of £9.1m per position.  So we are only paying slightly over the average salary per position.  As far as I know we haven't missed out on any of our transfer targets because we are unable to stretch our budget to pay them an extra £15k per week (which is the amount by which we are over the average salary per position).

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, allani said:

Well £100m divided between 11 positions gives an average of £9.1m per position.  So we are only paying slightly over the average salary per position.  As far as I know we haven't missed out on any of our transfer targets because we are unable to stretch our budget to pay them an extra £15k per week (which is the amount by which we are over the average salary per position).

Your calculation is way out. We have around 25-28 players in our squad, not 11.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Your calculation is way out. We have around 25-28 players in our squad, not 11.

??  There are 11 positions in a football team.  You are talking about spending £10m out of £100m on left-backs (not on a single player on multiple players).  All I am saying is that if you average out the budget per position then £10m isn't that far off the average.  Obviously there will be some positions where the number of players actually covering that position is different.

Edited by allani
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, allani said:

??  There are 11 positions in a football team.  You are talking about spending £10m out of £100m on left-backs (not on a single player on multiple players).  All I am saying is that if you average out the budget per position then £10m isn't that far off the average.  Obviously there will be some positions where the number of players actually covering that position is different.

Your maths is all wrong. The £100m is the TOTAL wage budget for the full squad, second team, academy, manager, everyone.  We are spending 10% of our total budget on 2/30th (6.5%) of our players. That’s obviously unsustainable and a detriment to the rest of the team. 

• Like 1

Â