Lucas Digne

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

not really I said he played well last weekend. I am willing to admit players or managers do a good job

I am a Villa fan so not sure the issue. I praised the trainee when he did OK last season

Was meant in a light hearted way mate 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

I've watch the incidents with March loads of times now, and I genuinely don't understand why people are saying it was obviously a penalty? March didn't even win the ball, and there was clearly no malicious intent.

Also, what was Digne supposed to do there instead? Nothing?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

How was it a pen though when he was literally in the process of striking the ball before the other blokes foot got in the way. 

Exactly. It's like throwing yourself in front of a car and then blaming the driver.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

I've watch the incidents with March loads of times now, and I genuinely don't understand why people are saying it was obviously a penalty? March didn't even win the ball, and there was clearly no malicious intent.

Looks clear to me.

March gets to the ball first. Digne kicks him. It's a pen.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Why didn't the Ref, or VAR give it then?

It was a strange decision.

If it was the other way around I'd be outraged if that pen wasn't given for Villa.

March went through him. It was a dangerous tackle and if anything he fouled Digne not the other way round. He absolutely launches into him. I'd have booked him!

The way March falls and collapses is 100% because of the way he launched in and nothing to do with Digne tapping him a bit.

If Digne doesn't move his kicking foot March would still have collapsed, and he'd probably have snapped Digne's leg too.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Looks clear to me.

Play the whole video where he flies in out of nowhere and takes the man out afterwards. He falls because of his own momentum. Option 3 is that it wasn't a foul by either player and March just made a full on tackle that connected with the ball — dangerous but thankfully in this case didn't end up injuring Digne — then his momentum, which began seconds earlier, left him on the floor. March wasn't coming out of that tackle standing on two feet. He was already on his way down. I can't launch into someone at football and then cry if their body is in the way of the momentum I established. That's ludicrous.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

It could have went either way IMO. It’s not an obvious penalty. March comes in, doesn’t really win the ball, gets kicked but Digne also makes minimal ball contact.

Digne should be more aware of what’s going on around him though. That was the bigger issue, not the contact. I think if March flicks the ball away and Digne boots him like he did then fine it’s a penalty. It reminds me a bit of that Nani incident years back in the CL, obviously not to the same extent. He only has eyes for the ball, jumps to control it in the air and ends up kung-fu kicking the opposition player in the chest. No intent but it was a red card.

I think the decision was correct in the end. However, I can also see why Brighton fans might be annoyed though. 

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Looks clear to me.

But there was barely anything in it. Also, March was the one who mistimed his tackle because it bounced off Digne's leg and landed at the foot of a Villa player (Kamara?) anyway.

It's not like March had the ball and Digne was trying to get it off him. It was a loose ball and they got to it at roughly the same time.

I can see why there's a discussion, but it certainly isn't obvious.

• Like 4

Where does March expect his own body to end up when he throws himself at Digne? The main impact is as much his body flying into Digne's body. That's why he goes down, and he was always going to go down because he was out of control.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greenfly said:

But there was barely anything in it. Also, March was the one who mistimed his tackle because it bounced off Digne's leg and landed at the foot of a Villa player (Kamara?) anyway.

It's not like March had the ball and Digne was trying to get it off him. It was a loose ball and they got to it at roughly the same time.

I can see why there's a discussion, but it certainly isn't obvious.

Had Digne not kicked him March would have got to the ball first.

Doesn't matter if the kick is intentional or not it's still a foul.

Digne needs to be quicker and be aware of his surroundings. It was a clumsy.

99.9 % of people in here would be outraged if this wasn't given to us if it happened the otherway around.

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Had Digne not kicked him March would have got to the ball first.

Doesn't matter if the kick is intentional or not it's still a foul.

Digne needs to be quicker and be aware of his surroundings. It was a clumsy.

99.9 % of people in here would be outraged if this wasn't given to us if it happened the otherway around.

You could argue March wasn't aware of his surroundings either. Neither one of them looked at anything but the ball. Had Digne been half a second quicker to the ball, March could've snapped his leg.

And most people will argue for the outcome that favours them in any situation. I'm sure I'd be saying different if I were a Brighton fan, but honestly I don't think this is a clear-cut incident and it would've been really harsh to give a penalty here.

32 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Looks clear to me.

This is why screenshots are misleading. Digne’s foot was already motioning to kick the ball before March was anywhere near it. He blocks the ball and takes himself down. They are too different patterns of play. Digne hasn’t fouled him as March has gone over winning the ball. There was no advantage from it and for me VAR got it right. 

• Like 1

Â