V Sport Investments Ltd - More Villa Clubs around the world?

MotoMkali

33 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The owners of Bournemouth have a stake in Lorient - but somehow we are the bad guys here? We aren't doing anything different here 

No-one has said we're the bad guys?  If anything, people criticising would suggest that the Bournemouth - Lorient link (and others) would all be exactly the same thing that they don't like.  Is an opinion not allowed now or something?

(FWIW, Bournemouth owner acquired a minority stake and then they immediately bought a Lorient player for £20m).

Just now, bobzy said:

No-one has said we're the bad guys?  If anything, people criticising would suggest that the Bournemouth - Lorient link (and others) would all be exactly the same thing that they don't like.  Is an opinion not allowed now or something?

(FWIW, Bournemouth owner acquired a minority stake and then they immediately bought a Lorient player for £20m).

Indeed. I was one of the most vocal critics last night, and I'm not for a moment suggesting we're the bad guys - it's a smart move. I'm lamenting the state of football making this not only a desirable business move, but one that's even allowed.

Hopefully some are right, and this will be a strategic partnership rather than the City Football Group version which is more akin to a parasite hollowing out a club's body and wearing it's corpse, but I think it's wrong that whether or not that is the case is up to the benevolence and business sense of our owners rather than regulation.

• Like 1

No one would care about Newcastle buying Vitoria it would get a passing mention, the main reaction to it would probably be something along the lines of were we not meant to be doing something similar when is that going to happen, when Man City, and other clubs starting buying other clubs that barely got a mention, no one was bothered.

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would you have same reaction if Newcastle bought Vitoria instead?

Not the same though is it? Man City aggressively expanded with like 12-15 feeders. That’s wrong. Having connections with one or two clubs is not a bad thing. It’s been a thing in football for as long as I can remember. 

I can accept Newcastle having a feeder club or two. That’s football. Anything beyond that is immoral for me. There's no evidence we are doing that either. I guess I'm just a little baffled by some comments I've seen online like this tantamount to football imperialism or something. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

No one would care about Newcastle buying Vitoria it would get a passing mention, the main reaction to it would probably be something along the lines of were we not meant to be doing something similar when is that going to happen, when Man City, and other clubs starting buying other clubs that barely got a mention, no one was bothered.

To rather prove my point for me I've just searched Man City thread, for Girona, a team they bought in 2017, and of the other clubs they've brought probably the closest in profile to Vitoria, and it yields just four search results.

23 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Not the same though is it? Man City aggressively expanded with like 12-15 feeders. That’s wrong. Having connections with one or two clubs is not a bad thing. It’s been a thing in football for as long as I can remember. 

Really?  I can't remember many club connections at all up until the whole Chelsea - Vitesse thing exploded.  I don't think Villa have ever been 'connected' with any other club, other than Walsall for pre-season friendlies - have we?

Which other established connections are there?

We've also bought into clubs in Egypt and Senegal, I think we might be looking to buy another in Europe as well, at least that's what was reported late last year around the time we appointed Emery, when it was said our owners were in talks with two European clubs with a view to purchasing them, we now know one was Vitoria.

Many people have in the past mentioned why we don't do similar to Brentford and/ or Brighton.  They seemingly buy great players, for minimal amounts and turn huge profits. 

Well this is potentially one way of replicating what both those clubs might be doing.

Win / win for me

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Really?  I can't remember many club connections at all up until the whole Chelsea - Vitesse thing exploded.  I don't think Villa have ever been 'connected' with any other club, other than Walsall for pre-season friendlies - have we?

Which other established connections are there?

Spurs started a connection with the San Jose Earthquakes in 2008. United famously had a deal with the Brazilian club Fluminense in 2005. Charlton Athletic had four feeder clubs at one point in the mid 2000s (some are now defunct). Not to say there aren’t issues, like Arsenal did with Beveren in 2001. Or in recent years Chelsea using Vitesse as a form of child trafficking. It’s not a new phenomenon and even if we had the Vegas expansion, many other clubs would still have more feeders than us. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Spurs started a connection with the San Jose Earthquakes in 2008. United famously had a deal with the Brazilian club Fluminense in 2005. Charlton Athletic had four feeder clubs at one point in the mid 2000s (some are now defunct). Not to say there aren’t issues, like Arsenal did with Beveren in 2001. Or in recent years Chelsea using Vitesse as a form of child trafficking. It’s not a new phenomenon and even if we had the Vegas expansion, many other clubs would still have more feeders than us. 

To be honest, I don't have a problem with owners owning multiple clubs and using the system to garner talent.  It would be quite fun to have an interest in the Portuguese game due to a connection with Vitoria.

I'm against (not in a massively strong way) if it becomes an umbrella system with all clubs being "Villa'd" and losing their identity to become part of a global brand.  Would be different for Las Vegas (or if other clubs started up) as that club(s) doesn't exist.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, gatecrasha said:

Many people have in the past mentioned why we don't do similar to Brentford and/ or Brighton.  They seemingly buy great players, for minimal amounts and turn huge profits. 

Well this is potentially one way of replicating what both those clubs might be doing.

Win / win for me

Especially with Brexit making it near impossible to sign European players, we needed a competitive model to follow. As long as it’s above board, I have no problem. It doesn’t mean we are going to raid them for their top talent. Quite often, feeder arrangements are there to help the smaller clubs grow or arrange friendlies or loan deals or help us bring in talent which they can benefit from too. Really banal stuff. It’s a reason why outside of the immorality of Chelsea and Man City, few such deals are ever really known or discussed. 

Edited by The_Steve

50 minutes ago, useless said:

when Man City, and other clubs starting buying other clubs that barely got a mention, no one was bothered.

This just in, Villa fans have more inclination to discuss things that are related to their own club.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

To be honest, I don't have a problem with owners owning multiple clubs and using the system to garner talent.  It would be quite fun to have an interest in the Portuguese game due to a connection with Vitoria.

I'm against (not in a massively strong way) if it becomes an umbrella system with all clubs being "Villa'd" and losing their identity to become part of a global brand.  Would be different for Las Vegas (or if other clubs started up) as that club(s) doesn't exist.

Oh totally, I don't want us to become a franchise, a Man City or Red Bull. I want clubs to retain their identities and communities. The expansion MLS stuff might be a thorny one but I trust that NSWE would treat it as its own distinct club. 

This is my quote in it's entirety

1 hour ago, useless said:

It was implied if Newcastle were buying Vitoria there would be a negative reaction rather than positive reaction to us buying them, I cast doubts on that by merely pointing out that no one was bothered when Man City and others bought other clubs, there was barely any reaction to it initially at all, I used Girona as an example because they're most similar in profile to Vitoria

Edited by useless

Â