Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

If Poch wasn't available, would you all be so eager?

A billion times yes. I don't for one second think Poch is a realistic option, but the simple fact that Gerrard isn't even a manager really. He doesn't meet even that basic benchmark, so there are plenty of people we could get who would be an improvement on him, even if they're not particularly head-turning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Sick of this lazy example 

Totally agree, Arsenal have also spent about £250 million on players, it's not all Arteta becoming a genius and turning it round.

All the ex-players have love for Gerrard, we are having such biased opinions it's not really worth listening to them. They were saying Friday Rodgers has gotta go, why not give him a bit more time to motivate the players, they may make midtable by the end of the season, I mean, he's done it before, why can he not do it again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It is incredibly lazy. It’s not like he’s been here only a few months.

Time only makes a difference if there is a clear system and tactics being built from a foundational level and the players are still adjusting to it. This just isn’t the case here.

If it was as simple then why not just give Dorris the tea lady a 10 year deal, would be a lot cheaper.

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

More nonsense from him in his pre match interview. Can't even talk a good game never mind coach one.

It's hard to know what to say when your playing your last game.

His comments that Chelsea should wipe the floor with us, is him really saying, even with his top management skills we can't expect to win that game as they are a level higher. Whatever context it was put in, I doubt the owners with their investment will be happy to hear things like this.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

I don’t remember being with this feeling by not looking forward to games, and the the feeling of not knowing whats the best result, will a defeat take Gerrard out? Or just lose points? Will a win make the board keep him more? What’s the benefit for the team? 
I remember feeling the same against Preston (I was in VP that day), when Whelan shot the penalty, I wasn’t sure what I wanted. I went to Bristol away and Preston home, after flying long flight, you’d like wins to cheer, but also Bruce was done and keeping him more would only make us lose. The penalty miss was what lead us to the promotion, Fulham loss at Wdmbley lead us to new owners. I went to Milwall away and we lost under no manager. But the feeling with Bruce leaving was a win itself.

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I've said before, but I worry we're like a poker player who's put so many chips into the middle of the table, that we have no choice but to see it through. 

I'd hoped we had smarter people in charge than that, but the longer Gerrard stays in the job, the more you have to question it.

I think the longer, SG loses matches, and don't win them.....the more we question it.........me too.

Are you insinuating, you know more than them?

I know, no one has a monopoly on whats right, but you do seem to present your argument, in a manner, that suggests no doubt, when I think there is a clear case for doubt.

I don't know your back ground, and won't presume, I do.....but I think Purslow, for his sins, knows his way around the industry he is in....else Billionaire owners would be accused of being reckless, and I somehow, doubt that too.

You have to remember, these are only opinions.....I don't claim to know the answers, but I would sooner Purslow, was in charge of my club ,than me.

I do feel reading you posts, you have scant regard for him staying in the job and your only satisfied outome will be a new manager, at this point, blindly backing anyone nominated....as long as its not SG.

I don't think he will go anywhere, unless the hierarchy, feel there is a risk to our Premier League Status.

31 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

So wolves without a manger have just beaten Forrest 1-0, now level with us on points too. And people are content with giving Gerrard more time, crazy. 

Everyone beats forest. 

I guess except for Gerrard 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the longer, SG loses matches, and don't win them.....the more we question it.........me too.

I know, no one has a monopoly on whats right, but you do seem to present your argument, in a manner, that suggests no doubt, when I think there is a clear case for doubt.

I don't know your back ground, and won't presume, I do.....but I think Purslow, for his sins, knows his way around the industry he is in....else Billionaire owners would be accused of being reckless, and I somehow, doubt that too.

You have to remember, these are only opinions.....I don't claim to know the answers, but I would sooner Purslow, was in charge of my club ,than me.

I do feel reading you posts, you have scant regard for him staying in the job and your only satisfied outome will be a new manager, at this point, blindly backing anyone nominated....as long as its not SG.

I don't think he will go anywhere, unless the hierarchy, feel there is a risk to our Premier League Status.

Wonder if you were this defensive over anyone who questioned Lerner or Xia. 

You seem to have put all your eggs in the Stephen Gerrard basket. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

You said yourself that Purslow should stay out of football matters.  Who is the mens coach/manager is a football matter.  Do I know more than Purslow in business? In my finance field, yes, in his business field? No.  In football coach/managers? The answer is no but that doesn’t mean he’s making the best decisions and knows when the right time for hiring/firing or who should be recruited….clearly not!

Gerrard should be sacked! I have scant regard for him staying in the job now because he has shown he’s out of his depth here and he’s past his number of chances.  I don’t believe in blindly backing anybody new but Gerrard time is definitely over and should be gone.  The club then need if they haven’t done already to make a better choice next time.  There is always a risk hiring any manager of course but what we know is the current incumbent time is over and we need to move on.  If the hierarchy want to give him more time that is their choice.  I think they are wrong and to me there is no doubt he should be gone.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The key thing about Arteta was he said to owners these players are shit. The way I want the team to play isn't. So sign me some good players and we'll be a good team.

You look at their team now Vs 2 or 3 years ago. Completely different.

What we have now is a good squad with a bad manager. If Gerrard could go to the owners and say, look at these players they're shit I need two years and new players to turn this around. It's nonsense.

Our players are covered by teams much higher in the league because it's clear they are talented and just mismanaged.

Talking heads like Cascarino don't watch Villa. They just have to talk because they're paid

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The key thing about Arteta was he said to owners these players are shit. The way I want the team to play isn't. So sign me some good players and we'll be a good team.

You look at their team now Vs 2 or 3 years ago. Completely different.

What we have now is a good squad with a bad manager. If Gerrard could go to the owners and say, look at these players they're shit I need two years and new players to turn this around. It's nonsense.

Our players are covered by teams much higher in the league because it's clear they are talented and just mismanaged.

Talking heads like Cascarino don't watch Villa. They just have to talk because they're paid

Arteta also got his experience, playing style/philosophy from Pep. Gerrard got his in Scotland from Michael Beale. One coaches arguably the best team in the world, the other has just started his managerial career, see the difference?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think he will go anywhere, unless the hierarchy, feel there is a risk to our Premier League Status

I’m not so sure the bar is that low, Paul. I think it’s higher than that. I suspect them feeling relegation is a realistic possibility over a period of another month or so and they’ll pot him, but I also feel that for him to be here next season, there’s going to have to be much better performances and results than he’s managed over the past year. I think they obviously accept that he’s a relative rookie and they chose him because of his standing and Purslow’s personal admiration for him. I also think having fully backed him with wages and buys and sales, they’ll be reluctant to pull the trigger and essentially admit they got the choice wrong. But on the other hand everything they’ve done to date has tangibly been with a clear aim of returning the club to the top part of the premier league and if Gerrard continues to have the team play dull football, bimble around the bottom 5 or 6 and generally look completely outthought and out of his depth in games then he will be gone by the end of the season, and maybe sooner if they have the pieces in place to get rid earlier.  There’s not a lot of crossover between ambition and sentiment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Wonder if you were this defensive over anyone who questioned Lerner or Xia. 

You seem to have put all your eggs in the Stephen Gerrard basket. 

your questioning, is tedious at best.

I am not that defensive of him, just opposed to folks, claims, for wanting him gone.....I think the reasoning, is flawed, and contrived.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Arteta also got his experience, playing style/philosophy from Pep. Gerrard got his in Scotland from Michael Beale. One coaches arguably the best team in the world, the other has just started his managerial career, see the difference?

I would argue that gerrard would have actually benefitted more from being the understudy to a manager rather than going straight into the hot seat, like arteta did. Has Gerrard actually learnt much in the years working with beale? Or did beale do his own thing with the team and Gerrard was the front man. I think Gerrard needs to start again which is crazy considering he’s been in management for 4/5 years now

Edited by IrishVilla10

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

your questioning, is tedious at best.

I am not that defensive of him, just opposed to folks, claims, for wanting him gone.....I think the reasoning, is flawed, and contrived.

If it was just about this winning mentality,  we should have kept Smith and signed someone like Coady and saved some money.😂

The giving him time like Arteta has had is just a little flawed. As I have said in a different thread, Arteta has had 200 mill to spend and was taught by Pep at arguably the best club in the world. Gerrard was taught at Rangers by Beale, who has just started his managerial career with QPR, see the difference?

Â