Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Me no read the Percy article, but if it's as the headline suggests then it's probably the club preparing the possibility for the media, fans, and so on, for the possiblity of Gerrard losing his job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

From progressive attacking football to "roll your sleeves up",  and then inevitably "get stuck in", "run the channels", "make them work for it, "be brave in the air."

We've come full circle now. Just waiting for the return of the Matty Cash long throw-ins.

Yeah it doesn't sound good at all.  Sounds like he just has "put more effort in" left in his armoury rather than trying something different, addressing the elephant in the room that certain "key" players are currently hindering the way we play, trying to find an approach that might unpick an issue we've identified with the opposition.  I know he's not going to say "I have a masterplan to beat Chelsea by targeting w and pushing x into position y to take advantage of their inability to do z.  But I'd expect a bit more yeah we are going to fight for every ball.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This makes me think a loss on Sunday and he’s gone 

I think its more likely that they have a view that by Match 10 (25% of the season) or Match 13 (33%) we should be in a certain position in terms of the league table, results and performances.  If we were playing well but just not getting results then that might buy some time - whereas it feels like all he has left is getting results despite playing badly and hoping that eventually the players click into form.

I think you are right that defeat and a poor performance on Sunday would mean that the Match 10 / Match 13 goal is not achieveable.  A win might allay concerns but wouldn't make him safe.  The league table remains a bit weird - beat Chelsea and we could be top half (or close to it) but lose and we could be in the relegation zone with a small gap beginning to open up above us.  But I think the Board must be expecting us to be closer to 10th than 18th (which weirdly enough we are at the moment).  So Gerrard will be needing to keep that true at least up until the WC break.  To do that you would think we would be needing to pick up 4 or 5 points from the next 3 matches, 7 or 8 in the 5 matches before the break.  Defeat against Chelsea makes that a very tall ask.  They might give him Fulham as long as we don't get hammered but that would then be a pretty much "must win". 

So on that basis I am not sure that the Chelsea match is "the big one" but this week surely is.  Two bad results in the next three would be curtains.  Three draws might get him to the WC break.  Three wins probably eases all the pressure on him (at least until after the WC).  It is needless to say a critical week. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Is it just me or have the press been getting at Gerrard more since his comment to Ashley Preece about Archer?

He’s a goner.

Anyone got the full article?

44 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Is it just me or have the press been getting at Gerrard more since his comment to Ashley Preece about Archer?

At last!  The kind of article I've been waiting for.  Hopefully Wes and Nas are over to do business this weekend.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

From progressive attacking football to "roll your sleeves up",  and then inevitably "get stuck in", "run the channels", "make them work for it, "be brave in the air."

We've come full circle now. Just waiting for the return of the Matty Cash long throw-ins.

There was no point in sacking Steve Bruce it seems as it looks like we're headed back to the Championship anyway. 

7 minutes ago, allani said:

I think its more likely that they have a view that by Match 10 (25% of the season) or Match 13 (33%) we should be in a certain position in terms of the league table, results and performances.  If we were playing well but just not getting results then that might buy some time - whereas it feels like all he has left is getting results despite playing badly and hoping that eventually the players click into form.

I think you are right that defeat and a poor performance on Sunday would mean that the Match 10 / Match 13 goal is not achieveable.  A win might allay concerns but wouldn't make him safe.  The league table remains a bit weird - beat Chelsea and we could be top half (or close to it) but lose and we could be in the relegation zone with a small gap beginning to open up above us.  But I think the Board must be expecting us to be closer to 10th than 18th (which weirdly enough we are at the moment).  So Gerrard will be needing to keep that true at least up until the WC break.  To do that you would think we would be needing to pick up 4 or 5 points from the next 3 matches, 7 or 8 in the 5 matches before the break.  Defeat against Chelsea makes that a very tall ask.  They might give him Fulham as long as we don't get hammered but that would then be a pretty much "must win". 

So on that basis I am not sure that the Chelsea match is "the big one" but this week surely is.  Two bad results in the next three would be curtains.  Three draws might get him to the WC break.  Three wins probably eases all the pressure on him (at least until after the WC).  It is needless to say a critical week. 

I’m afraid he’ll get until the World cup break no matter what.

It’s obvious to me Purslow has seen SG as a very long time solution, he was supposed to be the beginning of an era at the club. With that view it’ll take a lot for Purslow to change his mind.

6 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’m afraid he’ll get until the World cup break no matter what.

It’s obvious to me Purslow has seen SG as a very long time solution, he was supposed to be the beginning of an era at the club. With that view it’ll take a lot for Purslow to change his mind.

If the owners are present on Sunday and we’re losing causing the fans to turn on Gerrard I can’t see any other outcome tbh

• Like 1

As the owners are at the game on Sunday you watch us win 4-0. Atmosphere will be bouncing and they will think all is good in the world and extend his contract 🤣

Not just in terms of results, but in terms of player relations, affinity with the fans, basically in terms of everything all around.... Worst manager I've ever endured in my time supporting the club.

GTFO 

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Buckle up lads.... It's about to get miserable on here !

I can't be anymore miserable about my club atm, so what you mean is buckle up you are all about to get on my wavelength.

I feel sorry for everyone 😅

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

If the owners are present on Sunday and we’re losing causing the fans to turn on Gerrard I can’t see any other outcome tbh

Maybe if the fans turned on the owners for their incompetence in appointing Gerrard in the first place and their reluctance to sack him despite Smithesque results and performances then they might take notice!

• Like 1

Â