Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Reading between the lines from the Supporters Trust meeting, Gerrard isn’t going anywhere just yet. He’s still got the backing of CP and NSWE. If we’re still bottom 5 by the time the WC break comes around then possibly they will make a change? I don’t see Poch still being available by that time anyway.

9 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Reading between the lines from the Supporters Trust meeting, Gerrard isn’t going anywhere just yet. He’s still got the backing of CP and NSWE. If we’re still bottom 5 by the time the WC break comes around then possibly they will make a change? I don’t see Poch still being available by that time anyway.

Good thinking.Its silly to make the change before its too late.

On 29/09/2022 at 08:22, nick76 said:

But you talk about his character all the time as his big and major asset.

I’m not going to get involved in the gangster discussion as I don’t know enough about it but you can’t shout from the rooftops his character on the positives and then dismiss so easily potential negatives.  

Your argument for the last year has been basically about his character will shine through therefore we should understand his whole character whether good or bad surely!

I was talking about his intrinsic character as a footballer and his motivational, forces, that should manifest themselves in his manager role.....but I suspect you know that already.

I know nothing about, who he has associated with in the past......how on earth would I?

I stand by my last line.....just a desperate attempt to discredit him.

I accept the arguments about the football, even if, some I don't agree with......but who he is in an picture with or getting tickets for at another football club, is not my concern.

My argument about all along has been focused on what made him one of the worlds best midfielders.....what intrinsic forces does he harbour, to drive him to that level. what level of determination lies in his make-up to drive him to those levels......not who does he have his picture taken with, we don't even know if indeed there is any relationship with said character....it seems to me just cheap muck slinging.

your comparisons are questionable at times Nick.

PS If he is worth sacking, they will sack him.....nothing to worry about....we have never had better owners.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

On 29/09/2022 at 09:22, nick76 said:

He wanted Europe as well and failed just as badly 😂

Thats more like it, keep the comedy coming, its more appropriate.

......we need a game.

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was talking about his intrinsic character as a footballer and his motivational, forces, that should manifest themselves in his manager role.....but I suspect you know that already.

I know nothing about, who he has associated with in the past......how on earth would I?

Because who he chooses to associate with in his own time is a major reflection of his character.  He chooses to associate with those people in his own time, that is just as intrinsic to his character as how he plays football.  To say otherwise is just disingenuous.  

Some of the best footballers make the worst decisions off the pitch as we’ve seen over the years.   Sometimes the on the pitch doesn’t reflect off the pitch.  So who knows what of his on the pitch and personal life affects or manifests itself in the current Gerrard and especially Gerrard as a manager.  

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

My argument about all along has been focused on what made him one of the worlds best midfielders.....what intrinsic forces does he harbour, to drive him to that level. what level of determination lies in his make-up to drive him to those levels.

I’m not convinced about this argument.  He’s without doubt one of the best midfielders in the world in the last 30 years but a large portion of that is pure natural talent.  He worked damn hard but just like so many other players across the leagues.  His natural talent allowed him the chance to be one of the best players in the world, his hard work though can be argued matched by many other footballers who didn’t have his natural talent.  So the level makes no difference to me but I agree he had great drive to go with his natural talent.  

Plus he got the chance to be the star player at his boyhood club, something we all wanted to do as children, he just had the footballing talent.  

That doesn’t automatically mean it translates to managerial talent, he’s yet to show natural talent there yet.

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

not who does he have his picture taken with, we don't even know if indeed there is any relationship with said character....it seems to me just cheap muck slinging.

My point as I said in the original post was that you dismissed any negatives that could be placed against his character before knowing if any are true yet you used the positives to say that will prove to be his biggest asset and be good for us.  It’s a flaw in your argument.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

PS If he is worth sacking, they will sack him.....nothing to worry about....we have never had better owners.

They hired him in the first place so I do question that.  I agree we have the best owners in every other facet but hiring him seems a misstep and compounding it by not firing him after such a poor 2022 seems also a misstep.  I do worry because we are regressing under him the longer it goes on. 

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because who he chooses to associate with in his own time is a major reflection of his character.  He chooses to associate with those people in his own time, that is just as intrinsic to his character as how he plays football.  To say otherwise is just disingenuous.  

Some of the best footballers make the worst decisions off the pitch as we’ve seen over the years.   Sometimes the on the pitch doesn’t reflect off the pitch.  So who knows what of his on the pitch and personal life affects or manifests itself in the current Gerrard and especially Gerrard as a manager.  

I’m not convinced about this argument.  He’s without doubt one of the best midfielders in the world in the last 30 years but a large portion of that is pure natural talent.  He worked damn hard but just like so many other players across the leagues.  His natural talent allowed him the chance to be one of the best players in the world, his hard work though can be argued matched by many other footballers who didn’t have his natural talent.  So the level makes no difference to me but I agree he had great drive to go with his natural talent.  

Plus he got the chance to be the star player at his boyhood club, something we all wanted to do as children, he just had the footballing talent.  

That doesn’t automatically mean it translates to managerial talent, he’s yet to show natural talent there yet.

My point as I said in the original post was that you dismissed any negatives that could be placed against his character before knowing if any are true yet you used the positives to say that will prove to be his biggest asset and be good for us.  It’s a flaw in your argument.

They hired him in the first place so I do question that.  I agree we have the best owners in every other facet but hiring him seems a misstep and compounding it by not firing him after such a poor 2022 seems also a misstep.  I do worry because we are regressing under him the longer it goes on. 

So what would it take for him to gain your full support Nick?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know nothing of him associating with that guy, it was just a picture on a phone....so you must know more than me....since you often claim for evidence, for my support for him, I will wait for evidence he is in cahoots with him.

Thats a bit rich, coming from you Nick.... you dive in for every negative you can find lately, on him......Since the Bourenmouth game your belief has drained like Diarrhoea and to some degree it is noteworthy, because it was an appalling offering.

I will keep supporting him, until the club, stop, and then I will support the new manager......but not before.

ps Oh and by the way, if he had of regressed, from where he took over......we would have gone down.

PPS when we have had a bad start Nick like some other surprising clubs, lets at least try and reverse it, eh.....and not keep furthering our own agenda....get behind the team and the manager.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

So what would it take for him to gain your full support Nick?

Consistently good performances.  I understand results can be unfair/unlucky but any manager for me it’s performances. A few games here and there don’t bother me, I want to see consistent good performances over a period.  i want to feel we are progressing and we can be a top ten team given that’s the reason we brought Gerrard in.  

I think it will now take Gerrard a long time to turn me around if he eventually does because 2022 results have been so poor.  Those three wins early in the year was then followed by a long poor run, so I don’t trust him.  I don’t think he has it so I think it will take him a long time to turn me around but I’m certainly open to it because like all of us, I want Villa to be successful.  

He’s not shown me he can do enough for us so it’ll take a long time to gain my full support if he ever does.  I don’t think he’ll make it that long though so I hope we cut our losses sooner rather than later but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I literally made my views on Smith and Grealish last week on here so I’m not sure why you say this.

maybe, I missed it Nick.....i was at My Daughters,whilst on holiday,  house sitting, away fro my PC.

I was just kidding.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I can't believe even now people think what he was like as a player, intrinsically or not, has any bearing on what he would be like as a manager.  It's just so, so ridiculous.

Agreed tbh, mentality is huge but it’s only going to get you so far in football now. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I can't believe even now people think what he was like as a player, intrinsically or not, has any bearing on what he would be like as a manager.  It's just so, so ridiculous.

But he's a "natural winner" that brings his winning mentality... Which is worth more than tactics and formations right? 

• Like 1

Â