Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

58 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As much as most of us want SG out, I bet some people are confused with how to use this.

Is it when they do well in the Champions League it's all down to GVB and nothing to do with what SG helped build?

But when they get thrashed by Celtic it's what SG built?

😂

I think at the rate he throws players under the bus, you can see how he burnt his way through 38 in three years.

I also don’t think Gerrard set anything up, as he doesn’t coach, take sessions or do tactics, it’s how his coaches set any side up.

In essence, his only contribution appears to be sound bites at press conferences and visiting players houses 

6 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

I really hope someone doesn't actually throw a Cabbage. It's such a distasteful act and doesn't show our fanbase in the best light. There are better and more civil ways to make our feelings known. 

agreed, Bok Choi or Curly Kale would be much more comme il faut

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

The bigger issue is we simply shouldn’t be paying any attention to a manager’s record in a weak league. I know a lot of people said at the time not to dismiss the SPL, but it is just objectively a big step down. Only two clubs have a decent budget (and that budget is more like a lower PL / upper Championship budget) and the standard of football is often dire.

Why haven’t we learned our lesson from McLeish?

The only time to pay attention to a manager in Scotland is when he does it with a non Old Firm side (eg Ferguson with Aberdeen), and even then, take it with a big pinch of salt.

We don’t need to be a club that gives promising young managers a chance. We have the resources to get people who’ve shown they can do it in a top league.

I’d argue it means more attention should be paid to how they do it and the circumstances involved (like a two horse race with a weak Celtic), and quotes to the effect of “my assistant does most of the coaching” should be much more seriously scrutinised.

The guy hasn’t don’t the hard yards as a manager that earns him the right to more time.

He landed the Rangers job, outspent a Celtic team that at that time was tired and complacent having had no real competition for a decade. He didn’t do anything special there just what was expected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think so. I don't even think a tanking gets rid today.

I agree. For most managers in the same position it would be curtains,  but I think his history with Purslow (who for supposedly a hard nosed exec seems overly impressed by a name) means he'll  get until  Leicester (assuming we don't get anything  out of today)

36 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

His last game? 

I think he's here until the World Cup or at least a good run of games after the first international break. 

I think it'll be the club's way of giving him the opportunity to save himself. 

I'd get rid now. 

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The result and the absolute battering at Palace looks as bad a result as against Bournemouth atm.

Dreadful manager.

When you are a number of teams only win of the season you know something is up. 

Â