Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Whilst I agree with what you're saying - it is usually the death knell for managers - at least he is trying something different. 

He can't win either way. If he sticks with his system - he gets pasted for being stubborn and not seeking to utilise his players properly. 

If he prepares a different approach - he gets pasted for being rash and desperate. 

Exactly, everyone has been screaming out for him to " stop being stubborn " and to try a different approach.

So it's the last thing we should moan about.

Unless the difference of approach, just means an even MORE compact straight line revolutionary 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 system. lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I was thinking the “send out all the strikers” moment against Southampton as a different approach lol.

I was thinking he's just going to throw everybody in defence, as many defenders as possible, all three goalkeepers and just block the goal from Arsenal scoring so he gets a point and then he'll say "see I turned it around and got a point from the league leaders you ungrateful bunch"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I was thinking the “send out all the strikers” moment against Southampton as a different approach lol.

Yep - exactly. When nothing is working, I don't blame them for trying something different - but it usually signals the end.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Exactly, everyone has been screaming out for him to " stop being stubborn " and to try a different approach.

Unless the difference of approach, just means an even MORE compact straight line revolutionary 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 system. lol

I don't blame him for trying something different. Just noting that the abandonment of their preferred formation and style is usually a sign of the end for managers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think it'll be different approach as in no change!  I'm not sure he can change!  It'll be an away game so he'll play with just one striker, Bailey may get a start but Buendia will be the last name on the subs list, Luiz will probably be dropped and WE GO AGAIN! Zzzzzzz

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I was thinking he's just going to throw everybody in defence, as many defenders as possible, all three goalkeepers and just block the goal from Arsenal scoring so he gets a point and then he'll say "see I turned it around and got a point from the league leaders you ungrateful bunch"

Arsenal tried that on a free kick and still conceded. He has no hope, lol.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e7c9b33c5ca5edf03d2a791b6b33e96.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Our dumbass owners are likely to sack Gerrard and appoint Scott Parker or the guy that got sacked at Dundee Utd.

Scott Parker's two promotions makes him more deserving of the Villa job than Stevie G is. 

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it'll be different approach as in no change!  I'm not sure he can change!  It'll be an away game so he'll play with just one striker, Bailey may get a start but Buendia will be the last name on the subs list, Luiz will probably be dropped and WE GO AGAIN! Zzzzzzz

Let's hope Critchley and staff have had a " heart to heart " with him, as well as Purslow perhaps?

But hold up, I was just reading this as typing:

" After Neil Critchley’s (almost) instant success last season, he was rightly recognised as one of the nations most promising new managers. While our poor luck in recent games has created doubts in the mind of some, it is clear that Critchley is implementing a style of play learnt from working in one of the world’s elite teams. Blackpool play with a high-pressing, slightly left-sided front five where many of the players interchange and drift across the pitch. "

Could the bit in bold be what we were trying the other day, and why we were bizarrely camped on the left?

Anyway, his preferred systems don't seem to align with SGs:

" The Seasiders have played in a 4-3-3 system since the start of pre-season, but that changed for the first time during yesterday's game.

Pool instead lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Ben Woodburn playing as a number 10 to stop David Kasumu from receiving the ball in the MK Dons midfield. "
Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

17 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Whilst I agree with what you're saying - it is usually the death knell for managers - at least he is trying something different. 

He can't win either way. If he sticks with his system - he gets pasted for being stubborn and not seeking to utilise his players properly. 

If he prepares a different approach - he gets pasted for being rash and desperate. 

The problem is that he doesn't know what he's doing. Whether he sticks with this, or tries something new, it's all off the cuff and unlikely to work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The problem is that he doesn't know what he's doing. Whether he sticks with this, or tries something new, it's all off the cuff and unlikely to work.

That's the issue. 

We switch that final 3rd around all the time but I don't have any belief that it will lead to anything consistent. 

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We don't know that. 

For example, Critchley might have sat him down and gone "lets try this, it worked for me at x" and he may have been pushing for it for a while. (I'm just trying to be positive amongst so much hate and negativity)

99% will result in a truck accident performance though 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

We don't know that. 

For example, Critchley might have sat him down and gone "lets try this, it worked for me at x" and he may have been pushing for it for a while. (I'm just trying to be positive amongst so much hate and negativity)

99% will result in a truck accident performance though 🤣

If true is that a positive?

He's been here 10 months with 2 windows and he needs the assistant manager to say hey let's try what I did at Blackpool. 

That's the guy who is taking us to the next level? 

For me that would be more of a worry and a negative than I'm currently seeing. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Know it won’t happen but it would be refreshing to see McGinn dropped.

If Gerrard somehow got the Liverpool job he'd sign McGinn and drop Thiago for him. Ain't gonna happen!

Edited by Tom13

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Don't forget the stupidity of bringing Archer on for 3 minutes of added time.

Both of them were mind boggling decisions.

Archer has a hip injury.

Perfect excuse not to pick him tomorrow.

(I know - I am becoming very cynical regarding Gerrard - sorry about that)

Big difference in that situation was that Arteta is a tactician, had a gameplan ,and knew how he wanted his players to play...

Gerrard has not got a  notion as he is  not a coach but just a front man.

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
  • Like 4

Â