Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

The PPG is less of a concern for me. The style of play and apparent lack of a plan is the major worry.

We seem to go into every game with a very different setup. No wonder we're inconsistent.

I look at other so many other clubs and can see a defined style of play alongside a formation where everybody knows their role.

I don't understand why we're struggling to get this when Gerrard has been in charge for 9 months, including a pre-season, which I thought would help massively.

If anything, we look worse.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Supporting the manager doesn't necessitate shouting down or mocking the opinions of people with concerns on a daily basis. It's not that surprising people with those opinions may feel vindicated, even if they are going through the same misery watching us be shit as everyone else, albeit they spotted the signs earlier.

Considering how often you seem to want to instigate the arguments again, it's unlikely to ever die.

As I said yesterday, get it all out your system.  It’s justified.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I think Gerrard has 10 games to save his job regardless 

The irony is.....if he can turn this around.....It could be the very experience, he needs.

Winning every game, is great for us, but managers, need a bit of adversity, to build character......Fergie had his fair share, to start with.

Managers before him have done it, and it has been claimed, that was, what made them.

However, even his most ardent supporter, will admit, these performances are worrying.

but, Its easy to jump on bandwagons.....The club have invested huge sums of money, they won't want to see it washed away.

If he needs sacking, they will sack him....and if they do, lets hope they get the next one right.

• Like 3

Just now, TRO said:

The irony is.....if he can turn this around.....It could be the very experience, he needs.

Winning every game, is great for us, but managers, need a bit of adversity, to build character......Fergie had his fair share, to start with.

Managers before him have done it, and it has been claimed, that was, what made them.

However, even his most ardent supporter, will admit, these performances are worrying.

but, Its easy to jump on bandwagons.....The club have invested huge sums of money, they won't want to see it washed away.

If he needs sacking, they will sack him....and if they do, lets hope they get the next one right.

Did worlds of good for Arteta. And Arse fans are as entitled as they come.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I really hope you are correct. But if change must come so be it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It’s almost unreal how united the fan base are against him. He’s got to go surely. 

I suspect that’s got to be demonstrated at games and in the ground before the owners seriously consider moving him on…

If our opinions of the manager remain “behind closed doors” if you will… well, that’s not going to have much of an effect.

No one wants a negative or even toxic atmosphere but it’s usually just a valid reaction to the shit that we’re having to watch out there on that pitch.

Anyway, I hope NSWE are intelligent enough to judge for themselves and are also somewhat appalled at the managers record and performances so far…

I can’t see any reason to “keep the faith”.

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Next 5-6 games will decide Gerrard’s fate one way or the other. 

ye i agree with this.

next 5 games, WHam, Arsenal, Man City, Leicester, Southampton.

5 games, naturally leading in to a 2 weeks break (mid sept to start of Oct).

Didnt include the Preston game in that as its not a PL game, but that is 6 games in total.

I would think that 2 week break would be the time after that run of 5 games, depending on results.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Did worlds of good for Arteta. And Arse fans are as entitled as they come.  

I think the big difference is Arsenal had a covid crisis and played Man City and Chelsea in the first 3 games. We’re at almost full strength and had a relatively ok start in terms of opponents. We really need to beat West Ham to get some confidence before Arsenal and City.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the big difference is Arsenal had a covid crisis and played Man City and Chelsea in the first 3 games. We’re at full strength and had a relatively ok start in terms of opponents. We really need to beat West Ham to get some confidence before Arsenal and City.

Maybe. Did you see the Arsenal 'all or nothing' on Amazon. Jesus I could barely stand to watch the fans in that. 

18 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

He just needs another preseason.

Don't you remember his mini-preseason in the winter break, where he crowed about how helpful it was going to be in getting his style of play across, then we came back and played worse? Well, now he's had a full, not-mini preseason and we are fully, not-mini worse!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I suspect that’s got to be demonstrated at games and in the ground before the owners seriously consider moving him on…

If our opinions of the manager remain “behind closed doors” if you will… well, that’s not going to have much of an effect.

No one wants a negative or even toxic atmosphere but it’s usually just a valid reaction to the shit that we’re having to watch out there on that pitch.

Anyway, I hope NSWE are intelligent enough to judge for themselves and are also somewhat appalled at the managers record and performances so far…

Does it really need to resort to 40k fans shouting abuse at Gerrard to try and force the owners to sack him?  We need to get behind the team at home always.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Nah, I've stuck up for Stevie since his appointment, cos that's what you do with a manager. If it turns out he's rubbish, I'll support the new manager, because that's what you do (clue is in the word supporter). I'm not taking any 'I told you so' shit from people who wrote him off before a ball was kicked, no chance. Legitimate concerns leading to a withdrawal of support based on results, sure, but I'm not abiding any guff from those who had a premeditated agenda. They can do one.  

Ditto...

But it was always inevitable.

Now if we go on a 5 game winning streak, can we double back to them and say, I told you so, that I told you so, before you told me so?

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ditto...

But it was always inevitable.

Now if we go on a 5 game winning streak, can we double back to them and say, I told you so, that I told you so, before you told me so?

Each to their own I guess, but I just want to see Villa win, honestly. 

• Like 2

Just now, the_eristic said:

Don't you remember his mini-preseason in the winter break, where he crowed about how helpful it was going to be in getting his style of play across, then we came back and played worse? Well, now he's had a full, not-mini preseason and we are fully, not-mini worse!

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe, they can. Have you considered that?

They will make their move, when they think its right, if in fact, they move at all.

Edited by TRO

We can't afford to give him more time and miraculously come across a winning formation and to have suddenly learnt how to man manage players. 

We wrote almost an entire season off last season as we had change the direction we were heading, let's not do that again this season. Changing everything after 3 games is already not ideal. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Does it really need to resort to 40k fans shouting abuse at Gerrard to try and force the owners to sack him?  We need to get behind the team at home always.

I hope not. That’s not what I said nor what I wish for.

But inevitably, it’s what ends up happening and is what forces the club’s hand if they don’t act any earlier. It’s nothing new.

As I said, I hope the owners act sooner than that… but who knows?

I have no hope in the manager and others have the same view or feeling so how do you expect us to react or feel?

There are more than enough reasons/causes and more than enough evidence to justify that… 

What is the point in criticising or instigating people who feel that way??

Again, if we are seeing crap performances and results… you can’t expect everyone to have smiles on their faces and to whoop and cheer can you?

• Like 1

Â