Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I was away with work last weekend and didn’t see the game.  When i came home i asked my son who played good and who played bad.  He basically mentioned every player when summing up the bad…

So i said do you see the pattern.  When all the players are playing bad it generally isnt the players.  It’s down to the coaches and manager.  

The managers and coaches need to start stepping up.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So you think people being behind the Manager of the club they support, until they have reasons to start doubting and/or raising questions, is actually a bad thing?

Just because people have different timelines or approach to this doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong our right.

I supported Bruce for longer than alot of others did, but once I was done, I was as done.

I generally apply the same principles with all our Managers, whether I like them or not.

I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say. Are you now trying to call people out, for altering their opinions based on most current evidence/data?

Are you taking the piss out of them for not turning earlier etc as they were "  told "? I'm not sure I get it.

No, but other people's reasons shouldn't have been dismissed out of hand as a personal vendetta. There were plenty of good reasons to doubt that the people posting them got mocked for. 

I find it interesting that after month's of evidence of us playing poorly and showing no improvement, that people got mocked for pointing out, 1 game has been enough to make the mockers take a more balanced view or disappear completely.

I am someone who can ignore a multitude of problems if performances are good, as it will generally result in improvement. Likewise I get worried by constantly shit performances that result in 1 goal wins. One of the reasons I probably wanted Bruce gone a while before yourself.

My original point was simply "it feels like an echo chamber" because some of the loudest voices have gone completely while many others have suddenly seen some of what people were talking about themselves.

FWIW I am behind the manager, but he needs to show some improvement. Unfortunately I've been saying this since Christmas, so hopefully it comes soon!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He’s been at the club 9 months. This is gaslighting.

I get that but one game into this season with his first pre season under his belt, seems like mass hysteria on here. As I mentioned I just tried put a bit of perspective on things, it may turn out he's not gonna make the grade but, I'm gonna give him longer than one game into this season.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Crazy isn’t it. Shame on us for defending our clubs manager. 

Defending from who? we are all hardcore Villa fans on both sides of this debate.  It’s not we are defending against an enemy, or rival clubs fans or the media, it’s Villa fans discussing the performance of our manager internally.

I defend Gerrard to anybody outside of the Villa circle because that’s what you do but inside it’s discussing the issues we definitely had, there is a very different distinction between the two.

• Like 3

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'd be curious what the more optimistic fans think he might achieve in the next half a dozen games that he hasn't been able to resolve so far this year.

Tbh mate I think we’ll pick up points but still not look great.  It is nothing but blind faith now hoping we click. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Defending from who? we are all hardcore Villa fans on both sides of this debate.  It’s not we are defending against an enemy, or rival clubs fans or the media, it’s Villa fans discussing the performance of our manager internally.

I defend Gerrard to anybody outside of the Villa circle because that’s what you do but inside it’s discussing the issues we definitely had, there is a very different distinction between the two.

Fair point.  When I say defending its more to do with defending him for every silly attack, E.g. he’s treatment of Carney, only in job because of his mate, his perfect hairline etc.

You’ve always had valid concerns to be fair. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rossi said:

I get that but one game into this season with his first pre season under his belt, seems like mass hysteria on here. As I mentioned I just tried put a bit of perspective on things, it may turn out he's not gonna make the grade but, I'm gonna give him longer than one game into this season.

But that’s your perspective and but others perspective is that 2022 has been poor, the preseason while results were good, performances had a lot of flaws in the same as last season against fairly average teams mostly and the first competitive game was even worse.  So you say one game but to many nothing has changed. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tbh mate I think we’ll pick up points but still not look great.  It is nothing but blind faith now hoping we click. 

Hope you're right. Honestly I'm done with him, but if someone can quote me in a year's time making me look like a fool after a surprisingly good season, I'll happily eat that humble pie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But that’s your perspective and but others perspective is that 2022 has been poor, the preseason while results were good, performances had a lot of flaws in the same as last season against fairly average teams mostly and the first competitive game was even worse.  So you say one game but to many nothing has changed. 

I do get that, and I know people feel frustrated, I'm just choosing to give him chance after his first pre season with a few of his own signings, maybe my patience has improved with age.

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd be curious what the more optimistic fans think he might achieve in the next half a dozen games that he hasn't been able to resolve so far this year.

Will all of our opponents play a 10 man low block, in which case we won't win too many. In the more likely case that teams will come out and play against us because they fancy they can beat us then we'll pick up wins for sure. I'm still more optimistic than pessimistic but that will change after 5 games if we are less than 50% on points gained.

I don't really care the formation we play or who he picks, it's more about the performance itself on the pitch. If we play well then we will start to pick up points.

Gerrard can easily shut a lot of the negativity up by picking up some wins.

At the moment there is a lot of bluster and over-reaction, because of a dreadful performance against a dreadful team - which has amplified a lot of poor performances and issues from last season.

There is every chance that was a blip and I really hope that is the case. There were plenty of positives in the preseason games and whilst they don't mean much in isolation the fact we won all of them does mean something.

I think Mings being dropped is down to injury and lack of form, but the response to that will hopefully tell Gerrard that he needs to get Mings fit and firing.

We all knew Bailey would get more games after being the stand out player in preseason, so Ings or Watkins would get dropped - it was inevitable.

His treatment of Buendia and Sanson is consistent if nothing else. He has dropped Coutinho before and I really hope he  drops McGinn but I do feel we can win with both in the team.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm a fairly optimistic fan most of the time. I have no idea what's gonna happen in the next 5 or 6 games though 

6 minutes ago, Rossi said:

I do get that, and I know people feel frustrated, I'm just choosing to give him chance after his first pre season with a few of his own signings, maybe my patience has improved with age.

I think my patience has improved with age but I also believe my ability to see when it isn’t working or isn’t improving over a course of a good period has improved.  Sometimes when you are younger you let things ride for a bit too long like bad relationships but as you get older you spot when they aren’t working, try to fix them, give them time but then you know when it isn’t working, you cut your losses.  You do this quicker than when you are younger.  

I’m not saying we sack Gerrard now but I don’t see him fixing the coaching issues we have with the play on the pitch.  We have players that are better than the performances we have.  Gerrard needs to fix it quickly otherwise he needs to go.

The problem for me though is not the players he’s buying he’s not getting the best out of them starting with the January signings which adds to the squad he inherited which he’s not getting the best out of.

He’s obviously got time because he has but he’s on thin ice.  I’ll be delighted if he turns it around (and I don’t just mean over three or four games but an extended period) and I will turn into his biggest supporter but I’m just not seeing any ray of light at the moment.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think for me it's picking up the odd win so we still give new manager a decent chance of getting up the league.

Hopefully we're not so bad whoever the new guy is takes us over with 2 points from first 6/7 games and firmly established in bottom 3. At least there are plenty of winnable games in September and October looking at the fixture list.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think my patience has improved with age but I also believe my ability to see when it isn’t working or isn’t improving over a course of a good period has improved.  Sometimes when you are younger you let things ride for a bit too long like bad relationships but as you get older you spot when they aren’t working, try to fix them, give them time but then you know when it isn’t working, you cut your losses.  You do this quicker than when you are younger.  

I’m not saying we sack Gerrard now but I don’t see him fixing the coaching issues we have with the play on the pitch.  We have players that are better than the performances we have.  Gerrard needs to fix it quickly otherwise he needs to go.

The problem for me though is not the players he’s buying he’s not getting the best out of them starting with the January signings which adds to the squad he inherited which he’s not getting the best out of.

He’s obviously got time because he has but he’s on thin ice.  I’ll be delighted if he turns it around (and I don’t just mean over three or four games but an extended period) and I will turn into his biggest supporter but I’m just not seeing any ray of light at the moment.

Don't they say it's the hope that kills you? I think maybe we all went into the season with fresh hope, then that Bournemouth performance has knocked us on our arses again 😊

• Like 1

Â