Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

50 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

His errors are so basic. He should be making these down in League Two with someone else.

Persisting with a formation that will never work.

Playing his mates instead of better players.

Amateur hour.

He's got a presence when he walks in a room though 

I really don't get some of the negativity although not surprised.

It's his first pre-season with the players, some of whom probably wouldn't have considered joining us without him and he's trying out players in different formations in non competitive games. Isn't that the point of pre-season games?

Yes the first half was a bit shit but it showed that we have a stronger squad now than we've had for years and the competition for places should keep everyone on their toes. If he continues to pick favourites regardless of form and stick to formations that aren't working (in competitive matches) then I think it's fair to criticise him.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

good post match chat there - clearly not happy with the first 45 but chuffed players want to impress in the second half. 

I'm past being encouraged by this sort of thing because it's  no different than what he's said before yet here we are.

I love that we've signed Coutinho and think he's a great player, but if we're playing a system where only one of him or Buendia can play, and the latter is in better form, then he has to play over Coutinho. The same goes for McGinn and Luiz or whatever other examples there are.

The point of having a good, competitive squad is that quality players will occasionally miss out, and hopefully in turn will be forced into making the most of the challenge and forcing their way back in. Not saying it will be the case this season, but I'm hoping we're not going to get a situation where sound bites like this happen one week only for his favourites to be straight back in the next.

Edited by Indigo

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why wait, when you can be " right " in advance?

Is it in advance if he’s doing the same things as last season? Not really

Hopefully he’s learning quickly and we don’t see it so often when the season starts.  Hard to criticise those that are criticising him for doing the same things as he did many times last season that didn’t work.  It’s either got to start working quickly or he does more things like he changed to in the second half.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Maybe we can hire someone else in to be head coach and pick the team and decide how we're going to play.

Gerrard can do the press conferences.

and recruitment 😂

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Is it in advance if he’s doing the same things as last season? Not really

Hopefully he’s learning quickly and we don’t see it so often when the season starts.  Hard to criticise those that are criticising him for doing the same things as he did many times last season that didn’t work.  It’s either got to start working quickly or he does more things like he changed to in the second half.

Dunno Nick.

I think there are 2 ways we can look at things.

We can choose to look at a shite first half performance/selection in a pre season match as a projection of how our season will go and how we will line up.

OR we can look at a brilliant second half with some stand out performances, against a side filled with quality which has battered all their pre season opposition as encouragement as to what is possible.

So i'm leaning towards where @Vive_La_Villa is, if we see the same persistence come next season proper i'll be right there with you all.

For now i'm taking it for what it is, pre - season.

I think /hope SG will get it right, selection wise by the time we get to Bournemouth, it's an " audition" after all.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

and recruitment 😂

Mmm, not sure yet. Signing 29/30 year olds and giving them four year deals as your top earners is usually a risky business. It's only a success if results come immediately.

We got nowt in the first six months of Coutinho and Digne, let's see how we get on with big Carlos. The question is not, are they good players. It's was this worth the investment, because we're likely getting nothing for any of them at the end of their time here.

He can definitely do media though, he's great at that.

• Like 1

Â