Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Quite interesting this. He mentions " This has been an opportunity to really revisit our style and philosophy, and how we want to play " " We will be trying things, and tweaking things " etc.

Also reckon this will have been a vital bonding experience for the lads.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Don't know if it's just my reading of it but he didn't exactly seem bouncing with enthusiasm in the post-match interview.

Well it wasn't a great performance from us. Not bad but we we'll need to be more dominant against teams we are clearly stronger than in terms of playing staff. From Gerrard's side, he has to coach the side to play how he wants - if he can't do that, then there's no point in him having such high standards tbh. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Quite interesting this. He mentions " This has been an opportunity to really revisit our style and philosophy, and how we want to play " " We will be trying things, and tweaking things " etc.

Also reckon this will have been a vital bonding experience for the lads.

And he's a man of his word 🤣

Always talking about missed chances. if we want to move on this has to change in our game, lost us many many points last season due to those 'missed chances'. Surprised we ain't gone for a striker, gotta start taking chances next season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Don't know if it's just my reading of it but he didn't exactly seem bouncing with enthusiasm in the post-match interview.

He hasn't had a full pre season yet. 🤣

On 17/07/2022 at 14:43, foreveryoung said:

Always talking about missed chances. if we want to move on this has to change in our game, lost us many many points last season due to those 'missed chances'. Surprised we ain't gone for a striker, gotta start taking chances next season.

The transfer window isn’t quite closed yet, indeed you could say the serious stuff is only just starting.

On 17/07/2022 at 10:11, Lichfield Dean said:

He never has been a mirror of the "Laughing Policeman"

even when he was a player, he was a bit surly, in interviews.

Its his nature.

not saying he hasn't got a sense of humour, because he has, very witty at times......he is just a very measured and serious, bloke.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

He never has been a mirror of the "Laughing Policeman"

even when he was a player, he was a bit surly, in interviews.

Its his nature.

not saying he hasn't got a sense of humour, because he has, very witty at times......he is just a very measured and serious, bloke.

Yeah, it probably is just that.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2022 at 14:43, foreveryoung said:

The window isn't closed yet.....and we have spent a few bob over the last few seasons.....He will be looking at these pre season games to decide whether to spend further or keep our powder dry.

I think so far, we have been quite prudent, but spending money does have consequences good and bad....and we don't want unnecessary pressure on our people.

I still think we need a couple more......but its not my money or my responsibilty.

I trust these guys, who are running us, to get the balance right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

If he gets 15th next season he’s gone and rightly so.

As for who do we get in I’m sure there will be options then.  His coaching calibre is the big question anyway? If he gets 15th he’s not doing what he’s brought into do so there will be higher calibre.  If this teams is cohesive and clicks, there is no way they should be 15th

I disagree - I still think there is a reasonable chance he keeps his job.

But the real issue (and concern of mine) is that Purslow and co really need to up there game in recruiting managers

9 minutes ago, useless said:

There's no way Gerrard would get the sack if he won us a Cup and finished fifteenth, it's easy to say he should get the sack if that were to happen now, but if it actually happened in reality then hardly anyone would be saying it or expecting it, just wouldn't happen, would frankly be our best season probably since the last time we won a trophy and the owners would love it dancing on the pitch at Wembley.

What it would mean though is Gerrard, or whoever the manager is, being under pressure the following season, as while winning a cup would save them their job, they would have to improve on the league positioin the following season and show signs of that very early on.

If we were to finish 15th without a trophy, then I don't think there's any doubt that he or any manager would get the sack.

How would he get to 26 games (when the League Cup is played) with Villa in a position even close to 15th without being sacked? He’d be long gone before he even got a chance for that combination of events to happen.

Unless we just lost every game after the league cup win of course, in which case would be more than enough to get him sacked.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

Gerrard saying the squads bloated and then need players out the door. Those players have been spoken to. You would imagine guilbert, el ghazi, hause, JPB, and possibly traore are those that gerrard is alluding to

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Gerrard saying the squads bloated and then need players out the door. Those players have been spoken to. You would imagine guilbert, el ghazi, hause, JPB, and possibly traore are those that gerrard is alluding to

Where has he said this? Cant find his latest interview. 

Â