Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

55 minutes ago, WHY said:

Thought you were referring to this season mate. Personally wouldn’t read much into last season given the Covid situation and lack of fans. Everton and Leeds both finished above us last season. We took 16 points from Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea that’s nearly 30% of last seasons points from teams currently in the top 5, no chance this happens in a non covid season imo. 

Just from memory I think we just played better against those teams last season. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

what happened to the football we were playing in his first few games? the high tempo one touch passing game through the middle? all we seem to do these days is hoof it down the channel to ollie.

This is a big one, it’s gone so flat. There can’t be any excuse for it after the summer 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WHY said:

Thought you were referring to this season mate. Personally wouldn’t read much into last season given the Covid situation and lack of fans. Everton and Leeds both finished above us last season. We took 16 points from Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea that’s nearly 30% of last seasons points from teams currently in the top 5, no chance this happens in a non covid season imo. 

Mate, I respect you but that’s sheer speculation.  On that basis we ignore Smith’s second half of the season and thus got sacked because of a five game losing run this season which would be unfair to him.  

Everton are like us, good season then bad season.  Leeds are just that typical one promotion team that escapes the herd for one season before returning back.  Sheff Utd we’re the season before and Brentford are them this season.

We can’t exclude parts that don’t fit what we are talking about.  People dismiss me because I exclude Gerrard’s first six games because it was obviously different to the rest of his tenure and generally would be considered a new manager bounce.  There are always potential reasons to dismiss games especially if it helps an argument.  This team proved it’s better than it is, not much better I agree but I don’t think either Smith or Gerrard have gotten consistently enough out of this squad, which is poor from both of them.

16 hours ago, Xela said:

What was the criticism from Rangers fans? The team he won the league with, unbeaten?

No plan B. Never rotated players or showed any flexibility when issues started to arise as they had at the start of this season. Not to mention they were utterly useless in Europe until van Bronckhorst took over, which, after all, is where we are aiming to be. That criticism. I concede to the point of them winning the league but come on... it's Scotland.. and Celtic were shit at the time.

14 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

what happened to the football we were playing in his first few games? the high tempo one touch passing game through the middle? all we seem to do these days is hoof it down the channel to ollie.

I imagine it's because our poorly coached midfield is even further exposed when we play 2 up top, which seems to be the only way we can grind out ugly results. Boring, hopeless football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

No plan B. Never rotated players or showed any flexibility when issues started to arise as they had at the start of this season. Not to mention they were utterly useless in Europe until van Bronckhorst took over, which, after all, is where we are aiming to be. That criticism. I concede to the point of them winning the league but come on... it's Scotland.. and Celtic were shit at the time.

Sounds like SG will build us a decent team, then the next manager will take that team to the next level 🤣

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Sounds like SG will build us a decent team, then the next manager will take that team to the next level 🤣

I think we can do better than throwing another 100m at the wall and seeing what sticks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I've been as critical of SG as anyone but this simply isn't true. He got Rangers into the knockout rounds of the Europa League each season that he was there, which is very respectable for a club of their resources. It's pretty much the only justification I could see for his appointment at the time, as while winning the league unbeaten is an excellent achievement, he still managed to win only 1 of 9 possible domestic trophies during his time in Scotland

5 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I've been as critical of SG as anyone but this simply isn't true. He got Rangers into the knockout rounds of the Europa League each season that he was there, which is very respectable for a club of their resources. It's pretty much the only justification I could see for his appointment at the time, as while winning the league unbeaten is an excellent achievement, he still managed to win only 1 of 9 possible domestic trophies during his time in Scotland

Looking at last seasons competition they managed to beat the heavyweight giants Lech Poznań and Standard Liège. Respectable, not incredible.

Edited by AV82

5 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I think the European criticism was they got knocked out of the Champions League this season tamely by a team they expected to beat

We have no choice but to give him time and the opportunity to move us forward next season.  For every person saying "get rid, he's shit, he can't get them playing", there will be a "he's playing with Smith's squad, plus Digne and Coutinho and no proper DM, which he's already addressed as a weakness". 

I'm sure most here are happy with Digne and Countinho, they're his first signing, maybe this summer we get more help in DM, we look to play with more balance and no put square pegs in round holes - the MAYBE performances will improve. 

Thinking about it, since he's got here, it's been a good dress rehearsal for him and the squad for this summer, and next season Gerrard WILL be under pressure to do better.  Trying to get 11 players to care about playing against Palace when both teams have nothing to play for is going to be difficult, regardless of "They're pro's!!", it doesn't really matter, motivation is motivation regardless of what someone does. 

Gerrard always struck me as being the best version of himself when he was under pressure to perform.  Next season, that pressure will begin from match day 1 - hopefully he has the tools to get us close to 7th next year.

All that being said, I'd take Unai Emery if the opportunity came up, I think he's a brilliant manager :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Looking at last seasons competition they managed to beat the heavyweight giants Lech Poznań and Standard Liège. Respectable, not incredible.

So not utterly useless either then.

54 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Were they? I didn’t think his Europa league record was bad 

Â