Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yes it does come across as a bit disingenuous when he says it, usually in the same sentence as basically calling the players shit and in need of replacing.

🤣 He has a lot in common with the fans then. 

• Haha 3

Gerrard saying that players are playing for their future, or that they need to convince him that they're good enough for our future plans, is completey different from him saying that they're rubbish or 'throwing them under the bus or whatever', I can't recall but I'm pretty sure that Smith probably said similar at some point, and even if didn't, there are countless other managers that will have, it's quite a common thing for managers to come out with.

I can recall him having high praise for most our regular starters individually on seperate occassions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

Gerrard saying that players are playing for their future, or that they need to convince him that they're good enough for our future plans, is completey different from him saying that they're rubbish or 'throwing them under the bus or whatever', I can't recall but I'm pretty sure that Smith probably said similar at some point, and even if didn't, there are countless other managers that will have, it's quite a common thing for managers to come out with.

I can recall him having high praise for most our regular starters individually on seperate occassions.

Of course it is.

Every player at this level to some extent is playing for there future.

The question is whether the head coach needs to go public with such thoughts.

Can't control this weekends results. Our recent for has been toilet again but, no need to go into a meltdown. 

Howe has got a tune out of the Newcastle squad, a few new additions in Jan has obviously helped. 

See what happens in the summer and how we start next season, I'd like us to just try and perform for 90 mins not the odd 45, that would be a start..

• Like 1

No it's not, saying that players are playing for their future is a pretty common thing for managers to come out with. And I doubt they could care less that he's said it, they will already know the situation themselves, it's not uncommon for players to go public and state that if their team doesn't achieve such and such then they might have to move on, so it cuts both ways.

What also seems to be left out of the written account of the connected events, is that he pretty much said the same thing of himself after the Wolves game, I was surprised that it wasn't commented on after, but then again I suppose it didn't suit the narrative that he's blaming the players, and not himself.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

What also seems to be left out of the written account of the connected events, is that he pretty much said the same thing of himself after the Wolves game, I was surprised that it wasn't commented on after, but then again I suppose it didn't suit the narrative that he's blaming the players, and not himself

I missed this, what did he say?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

No it's not, saying that players are playing for their future is a pretty common thing for managers to come out with. And I doubt they could care less that he's said it, they will already know the situation themselves, it's not uncommon for players to go public and state that if their team doesn't achieve such and such then they might have to move on, so it cuts both ways.

What also seems to be left out of the written account of the connected events, is that he pretty much said the same thing of himself after the Wolves game, I was surprised that it wasn't commented on after, but then again I suppose it didn't suit the narrative that he's blaming the players, and not himself.

I thought it was a given that he was blaming the players ? Hence he is keen to bring in new ones ? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Every manager at every club is keen to bring in new players every transfer window. I'm baffled why people are using Gerrard wanting new players as some sort of negative, whoever was our manager we'd be wanting new players.  We will probably sign four or five players, which I'm guessing is around the average amount for a premier league team to bring in during a summer window.

Exactly, we all should want new players. It's progression, hopefully.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Every manager at every club is keen to bring in new players every transfer window. I'm baffled why people are using Gerrard wanting new players as some sort of negative, whoever was our manager we'd be wanting new players.  We will probably sign four or five players, which I'm guessing is around the average amount for a premier league team to bring in during a summer window.

I think its because he seems to think this is the only way to sort it out instead of coaching what he currently has to improve them

He signed 38 players in 3 seasons at Rangers 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think its because he seems to think this is the only way to sort it out instead of coaching what he currently has to improve them

Would be interesting to see him try and sign 10-12 players per season here. Probably not possible though due to player prices. A player for the scottish league doesn’t cost much so might as well buy a dozen, and change til it fits.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The best teams in the country are constantly buying players, regardless of the strength of their squad. Do you think Pep and Klopp are struggling to get improvement through coaching?  

All managers would spend as much as the Board would let them every window. Did Man City really need to spend £100m on a bench warmer? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Remember where Rangers had come from though, it was a slightly different situation considering they had previously worked their way up from lower divisions.

I don't think we require 38 players over the course of three seasons.

We all seem to agree that with a better calibre of CB, midfielder and a forward this current Villa team would be in the mix for Europe.

I suppose many other teams could say the same!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Remember where Rangers had come from though, it was a slightly different situation considering they had previously worked their way up from lower divisions.

I don't think we require 38 players over the course of three seasons.

We all seem to agree that with a better calibre of CB, midfielder and a forward this current Villa team would be in the mix for Europe.

I suppose many other teams could say the same!

Of course and we are aware we need better players but he should shut up and get on with it until summer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I know it's probably easier for you to remember, but you could have chosen a slightly less obvious name for your second account.

Your sense of humour , needs an upgrade too.😀

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The best teams in the country are constantly buying players, regardless of the strength of their squad. Do you think Pep and Klopp are struggling to get improvement through coaching?  

All managers would spend as much as the Board would let them every window. Did Man City really need to spend £100m on a bench warmer? 

Yes teams buy players thats not the issue here. These coaches also improve what they have. 

I never heard either saybwe will probably by a new leader while they still have a captain 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â