Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

For a manager only 5 months into a job, he is digging out the players publically quite a bit. It might work, or it might be the seeds of his own downfall, not sure which yet. One thing I do know is that we as fans should not be hearing about this in leaks or in post match interviews. Do not wash your dirty laundry in public.

This kind of stuff was cool to see at first, but he does this damn near every week now and then doesn't change a thing come game day. It's getting old.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

He's not going to be able to replace the whole team without showing some sign of improvement.

Concentrate on winning a couple of games - because without that he probably won't get next season.

sorry, Hippo, I didn't mean the whole team, I meant, across the team defensively.....I'm saying it's not just the back 4.

He won't need to replace the whole team, far from it......He needs to replace the weakest elements and some of the other struggling elements will correct themselves.....I've seen it happen in the past.

He will get next season...and he will get it right.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

He won't need to replace the whole team, far from it......He needs to replace the weakest elements and some of the other struggling elements will correct themselves.

He will get next season.

Get voting in the poll then !

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This kind of stuff was cool to see at first, but he does this damn near every week now and then doesn't change a thing come game day. It's getting old.

Not sure I’d believe The Mirror

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

analogy......Its hard to criticise a brick layer, when he is only up to the damp course.....let him build the wall, and then cast the judgment.

Strange one that. I would have thought if said bricklayer had of used the bricks in such a way as to cause alarm, or laid poor foundations and felt he didn't need a spirit level before blaming the bricks for not doing what he wanted, you'd relieve him of his duties before he caused greater damage and cost enormous money down the line.

• Like 1

Just now, AvonVillain said:

Strange one that. I would have thought if said bricklayer had of used the bricks in such a way as to cause alarm, or laid poor foundations and felt he didn't need a spirit level before blaming the bricks for not doing what he wanted, you'd relieve him of his duties before he caused greater damage and cost enormous money down the line.

Ah but, what if you had specially brought that bricklayer down from Scotland at great expense, and the said bricklayer was having to build said wall using the inferior materials and tools of the previous bricklayer, who had done one to Norwich?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Liverpool are not satisfied with anything less than Champions league football every season.So, if SG leaves us for Liverpool it will be because he can get us into the top 4 places.Liverpool will not accept anything less. 

I think its too big an ask of Gerrard to get our club into the top 4 and Liverpool wouldnt expect it when hiring their next manager but for Gerrard to be considered he wold have to be taking our club forward so sidewayys or backwards. 

5 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Ah but, what if you had specially brought that bricklayer down from Scotland at great expense, and the said bricklayer was having to build said wall using the inferior materials and tools of the previous bricklayer, who had done one to Norwich?

Yosser, says Hi.

8 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Its tough, there is no denying....but he has won 8 league games in 20 , not great, admittedly.......as opposed to the manager who built the team's 6 in his last 20 games.....not a great improvement, but it is an improvement, so far.

He will be given a summer window.....unless his reasoning for the defeats is pie in the sky, only Christian Purslow, and his level, will know that.

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think its too big an ask of Gerrard to get our club into the top 4 and Liverpool wouldnt expect it when hiring their next manager but for Gerrard to be considered he wold have to be taking our club forward so sidewayys or backwards. 

At the moment, he seems a long way from getting the Liverpool job.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

what changes would you like to see, with the present crop?...its not meant as a loaded question.

Just now, TRO said:

what changes would you like to see, with the present crop?...its not meant as a loaded question.

It's not that I would necessarily like to see changes, but the implication with these statements is that some players aren't pulling their weight and are at risk of being dropped...and yet we put out the same 11 almost every week. So either these are empty threats, or said players apparently up their game in training the following week and stave off being dropped...every time. It doesn't add up.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

At the moment, he seems a long way from getting the Liverpool job.

At present, he would be hard pressed to get the Tranmere job.

Personally, I predicted 4-0 before the game in the ground.....but I didn't see the ease in which they dealt with aerial balls and exposed us.

Their goals while well taken, were low,low grade defending.

Son must have us in his diary for a dining out day....ably assisted by Kane.

If we can't defend long balls.....I don't know where that leaves us....they might be world class players, but that is not world class football, championship defenders would have made a better fist of it.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

still waiting for them wholesale changes vs Newcastle

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's not that I would necessarily like to see changes, but the implication with these statements is that some players aren't pulling their weight and are at risk of being dropped...and yet we put out the same 11 almost every week. So either these are empty threats, or said players apparently up their game in training the following week and stave off being dropped...every time. It doesn't add up.

I think he is caught between a rock and a hard place.....personally, Hause and Chambers would come in for me.

I agree, I think, he is trying to keep the dressing room, but something has to change.

I could not honestly say with conviction, who I would bring in, because its all a gamble....but I accept your view, it seems like sabre rattling, only.

My view is if he brought in changes like I suggested, it could back fire......but this is where courage and bravery comes in, and I wouldn't accuse him of none of that.

I can't honestly say where threats stop and action kicks in.....but I accept your concerns, which I share.

I think its wrong to blame one player solely.....but I can tell you One player, would not play for me ,the next game....Action has to kick in and threats have to be replaced.

Our shape on Saturday without the ball in retreat was woeful.....and if you can't defend long balls in this league which should be bread and butter, and woe be tide any player that can't.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well, it was said once again about both the system and personnel after the Spurs second half misery-fest. Surely you can't keep saying such things whilst doing the opposite??

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think he is stuck as the backup players aren't quite up for it and it risks too much disharmony within the squad to make too many changes. He is trying to get more out of what he has (and not succeeding in doing so consistently).

To be a top 8 team we need a top 8 squad which we do not have. Some of these issues are bad recruitment (CMD anyone? Excess forward players?) and others just won't be able to make the step up. I think there are a couple of players that have responded to the rise in expectation (Cash for one) but others are crumbling. It must be very hard to go from the love in that was Smith who reportedly let them train later in the day to SG who by all accounts expects to win and I can imagine is quite intimidating.

• Like 2

Â