Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

My fear is people seem to be believing and holding onto hope that this 'system' Gerrard supposedly is going to play, once he signs the 'right' players, is suddenly going to fix everything. 

Yes, we are suffering hugely due to individual poor errors and performances- our strikers missing chances, defenders making stupid decisions - but it has been glaringly obvious we needed a DM, long before Gerrard took the job. He's already had one transfer window and decided to spend on a LB, in hindsight we didn't really need. 

I just can't see it working either way. If his only option is to keep buying different players because he can't work with what we've got, then he's a very limited manager and that's a huge worry. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I know we always go on about when subs are used. But f**** me Gerrard drives me insane with it. McGinn was knackered, again, Konsa could have been changed for Chambers, Ing's and Watkin's wasn't working and Gerrard waits till 70 minutes on the dot to make 1 change. He makes changes far too late and they rarely have a impact.

If he wants to play the bigun by letting the players know who's boss, "BRING THEM OFF EARLIER".

Konsa for Chambers at half time or earlier even, would have changed the game!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

11 defeats in 21 yet still plays McGinn and Chambers and Buendia dld nothing to get dropped

Absolute donkey of a manager. I know a few people that dont care anymore about Villa. Gerrard and Purslow have killed Villa for some fans 

It seems to me that in some eyes Villa dies regularly every few weeks.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I know we always go on about when subs are used. But f**** me Gerrard drives me insane with it. McGinn was knackered, again, Konsa could have been changed for Chambers, Ing's and Watkin's wasn't working and Gerrard waits till 70 minutes on the dot to make 1 change. He makes changes far too late and they rarely have a impact.

If he wants to play the bigun by letting the players know who's boss, "BRING THEM OFF EARLIER".

Konsa for Chambers at half time or earlier even, would have changed the game!!!!

Wasn't that one of the things the Rangers fans talked about. Him waiting too long to make subs and having favorites were undroppable regardless of form. 

Fwiw he's far from the only manager guilty of those sins.

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

if gerrard wasnt interested, smith would still be here

it's going to need to get much worse before we sack SG

for all the worry of him pissing off to liverpool, i kinda hope he does now. we'd at least gets some compo for him

You hope Gerrard moves to Liverpool to replace Klopp?

So if Gerrard performs so well that he is even considered to replace a manager of a team that is expected to challenge for Premier Leagues and Champions Leagues, you would still prefer that to him being Villa manager?

That literally makes no sense.

Another thing that's a worry is how he is already calling players out. The last 2 staff we've had at this club who did that, Culverhouse and Keane, didn't end well. 

Not saying he's on that level yet but if he thinks he can reign by being aggressive and making them sort of statements, he's not going to win. Players have more power than the manager nowadays, they all turn, ultimately the manager gets sacked. It is also a generation of players who need their egos constantly massaged, so again this approach will only end one way. 

Surely as a new manager, you look at the players strengths and weaknesses and foremost see if by coaching said player, he can improve. Not have the attitude of if they can't play your system - after months of playing another way - then let's call them out and get rid. 

I dunno, I have always found that philosophy a very strange and easy excuse for limited managers. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

My fear is people seem to be believing and holding onto hope that this 'system' Gerrard supposedly is going to play, once he signs the 'right' players, is suddenly going to fix everything. 

Yes, we are suffering hugely due to individual poor errors and performances- our strikers missing chances, defenders making stupid decisions - but it has been glaringly obvious we needed a DM, long before Gerrard took the job. He's already had one transfer window and decided to spend on a LB, in hindsight we didn't really need. 

I just can't see it working either way. If his only option is to keep buying different players because he can't work with what we've got, then he's a very limited manager and that's a huge worry. 

At the moment the list of criticisms:

- Tactically inflexible
- Unable to impact games with subs/changes in tactic
- Poor man management
- Unable to develop players/contribute to their regression

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Another thing that's a worry is how he is already calling players out. The last 2 staff we've had at this club who did that, Culverhouse and Keane, didn't end well. 

Not saying he's on that level yet but if he thinks he can reign by being aggressive and making them sort of statements, he's not going to win. Players have more power than the manager nowadays, they all turn, ultimately the manager gets sacked. It is also a generation of players who need their egos constantly massaged, so again this approach will only end one way. 

Surely as a new manager, you look at the players strengths and weaknesses and foremost see if by coaching said player, he can improve. Not have the attitude of if they can't play your system - after months of playing another way - then let's call them out and get rid. 

I dunno, I have always found that philosophy a very strange and easy excuse for limited managers. 

Did he ever play for a manger that did that?

Safe to say that first half performance was outstanding, the most dominant I’ve seen a Villa team for years, even when I’m the championship.

Although the result was unflattering, I think the signs are a lot more encouraging and I’m looking forward to Gerrard getting his own players in, next season we will have an absolute stormer.

Keep the faith guys, the signs are hugely encouraging.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Tommo_b said:

Safe to say that first half performance was outstanding, the most dominant I’ve seen a Villa team for years, even when I’m the championship.

Although the result was unflattering, I think the signs are a lot more encouraging and I’m looking forward to Gerrard getting his own players in, next season we will have an absolute stormer.

Keep the faith guys, the signs are hugely encouraging.

It's that you Stevie?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

One January window, and we tried to sign Bissouma 

7 hours ago, pete101 said:

Have avoided this thread for the longest time because I knew it would annoy the hell out of me,

Dean Smith as much as we loved him, he built a team around one man, he as much as the board will try and claim was all over our summer signings , Smith brought in bailey and it's been a disaster, not saying it was wrong call, of course if Danny ings is available you should be all over it but it hasn't worked, Smith made Watkins his guy, I was a Watkins fan boy myself till this season, it looks like he is very limited now. 

Please God will the people on Gerrards back give the man a pre season, to clear out some of the trash that has been left behind, Sanson and nakamba have looked better players under the man already.

I haven't mentioned Smith bringing in traore as I will go off on a rant that won't stop

Smith brought Bailey to play in his system, a player that has been admired by many big clubs for a couple of seasons and lauded on here when we signed him.  Unfortunately he had some early injuries so Smith never really got to play him.  He doesn’t fit Gerrard’s way of playing.  The only way you can call it a disaster is hiring a manager that doesn’t play to the strengths of the newly bought players.

Traores first season with us was mixed but his stats were good.  Not the greatest signing but an enigma with end product of assists, goals, unpredictable and play in a couple of positions for not a massive fee.  Not sure what the issue is there.  We hope he isn’t a first name on the team sheet but as a squad member is valuable.

Danny Ings was tracked by bigger teams than us and it was a shock to all that we were able to swoop in for him and seen as a real coup.

Smith got the best out of Watkins, Gerrard doesn’t know how to use him or use him to his strengths.

Yes Smith has gone, but I’m not sure what you are arguing aside from give Gerrard a chance.  Smith bringing in players to fit his system is a crime because they don’t fit Gerrard’s different system?

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Tough game next week, if we lose again he’s matched Smith’s record for which he was sacked. I don’t think there much chance of Gerrard leaving so soon, but say we completely fall apart and then lose to Norwich the week after..?

I was in the Deano had to go camp but Jesus Christ signing Gerrard as manger when his record there was average at best could only be explained by his relationship with Purslow. I think Smith would win more trophies given the job and the time at Rangers that Gerrard was given  The only positive was that his number 1 was supposed to be some kind of football guru................hmmm.

Doesn't seem to know how to stop the rot and his plan appears to be using our money to bring in players that he thinks will do it for him. And that's where I have an issue. I am beginning to question whether the players believe in him to be honest.

I want to see some changes for the next game Stevie or a change in manager at the end of the season if you cannot show the fans that you can effect change without the use of a chequebook

• Like 4

I’m in the not convinced camp!  We should have set the bar higher.  However I still see similarities to Brian Little’s appointment when we just about stayed up in his first half a season.  Players had it to comfortable under Big Ron, a Villa Fan, and Brian needed a pre-season and his own players to embed his style.  Remember he got rid of a lot of decent players, including Dean Saunders, who did not fit the way he wanted to play.  Next season, League Cup winners, FA Cup Semi and a 4th finish.  Did the current squad have it to easy under Dean Smith?  Are they not capable of adapting to a new style?  I believe we will find out very shortly on who stays and who goes!!!  

• Like 1

Â