Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The last guy had plenty of time and were getting worse, I realise you have Smith posters on your wall so I'm preaching to the unconverted and it was far from the first stall of progress.

Yes which is why he got the Liverpool gig. We're not Liverpool. Gerrard won the SPL, which is why he got the Villa job.

He had plenty of time and achieved everything he had to do. Progress each season, you can't pick ups and downs from the season when the end result is what counts. 

This year it stalled and we gave him no time to fix it. Are we going to do the same the first time Gerrard is in the same situation? 

It's all well and good saying time, but there has to be something there to justify it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ah now, come on.

He got the job because Purslow has pictures of him on his bedroom wall.

if gerrard wasnt interested, smith would still be here

it's going to need to get much worse before we sack SG

for all the worry of him pissing off to liverpool, i kinda hope he does now. we'd at least gets some compo for him

• Sad 1

There's no point gassing on and on like windbags about whether Gerrard should be manager or not as no one on here gets any say whatsoever in the matter. As with any manager at any club, if he does good he will keep his job if he does bad he will lose his job, that's just the way it is;

18 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Certain Villa fans will never like what they're seeing. A few defeats and its manager out. That strategy has worked so well for us in the past...

Certain fans see what others don't? You see what you want to, I see a team that's completely lost its way on and off the pitch. It doesn't help listening to him talking about Liverpool v city pre match, the whole situation is a fuxking joke and I ain't laughing. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The last guy had plenty of time and were getting worse, I realise you have Smith posters on your wall so I'm preaching to the unconverted and it was far from the first stall of progress.

Yes which is why he got the Liverpool gig. We're not Liverpool. Gerrard won the SPL, which is why he got the Villa job.

Great if we were in the Championship or newly promoted but we were a midtable quality team, with rich owners and a fantastic infrastructure, our shopping for a new manager might had a look at higher level.

It's clear Gerrard has been a failure to date. As bad as any of us could have predicted / feared

The question is, do we risk the entire club by backing him this summer to get on 4th choice players? Stumble into a nightmare few months of next season and sack him. 

We are finished as a football club on that situation. The right move is to accept the mistake made hiring him. Get rid of him now and get a new coach in who can have a summer to sign their players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm curious, do you say anything that isnt a bad attempt at a tabloid headline?

You've been a member since 2010! This is the first time I've noticed anything you've posted. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I don't think we were. We'd had such a disrupted summer and injury issues. We were never going to start on fire. Not saying we'd have stormed to top half, but if Smith had stayed I highly doubt we'd be far off our current points total. 

We’d be in a relegation battle. He proved last season that he couldn’t do it without Jack. And that was the same this season, and we wouldn’t have Coutinho if Smith was still here.

I like Smith, but I wish people would shut up about him, it's starting to feel like people care more about the managers and being tribal over them than they care about the club itself, as if rather than Aston Villa fans, you've got 'Smith fans', or 'Gerrard fans'. Gerrard and Smith don't even know you exist.

• Haha 2

All nine of our clean sheets have come from wins and only 11 wins, so 9 of the 14 times we haven't lost this season we didn't concede all game. I think that shows our fragile mental state within the squad.

Also consider in the 5 other games we didn't lose, we conceded a 95th minute consolation in the game at Palace. 

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

No, bottom 3 was what we were beginning to fear 

True, but you need to compare him to the Lage, Conte and Howe appointments and new manager impact. He's definitely in running for worst performance of a new coach during the season. Aside from the first few game bounce. Our form since Christmas day is atrocious. We are getting worse rather than better. 

We were never really relegation threatened with our squad I don't think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:
9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm curious, do you say anything that isnt a bad attempt at a tabloid headline?

You've been a member since 2010! This is the first time I've noticed anything you've posted. 

Whereas you run your mouth here there and everywhere with nothing but over the top hyperbole nonsense.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I like Smith, but I wish people would shut up about him, it's starting to feel like people care more about the managers and being tribal over them than they care about the club itself, as if rather than Aston Villa fans, you've got 'Smith fans', or 'Gerrard fans'. Gerrard and Smith don't even know you exist.

I used to feel the same way about Jack Grealish FC and regular fans. Lol

I get what you're saying and agree in general though.

Sadly, the forum has widely emulated the tribalism and lack of nuance I try to escape on regular social media more recently.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I agree with you,.we had to change it with Smith the whole of 2021 was poor and it was getting really bad at the end there.

We just took a gamble on Gerrard and it has backfired on us. It's a terrible situation to be in bit we're in it. Potter was clearly the choice we should have made. 

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I agree with you,.we had to change it with Smith the whole of 2021 was poor and it was getting really bad at the end there.

We just took a gamble on Gerrard and it has backfired on us. It's a terrible situation to be in bit we're in it. Potter was clearly the choice we should have made. 

I don’t think Potter should have been the choice either ,  we built a counter attacking side we should have brought in a manager suited to the players at disposal,  Gerrard still has my full backing though and will be judged fairly next season.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

Â