Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

"Great managers"

He's out of his depth because he is implementing a system that does not work with this squad. Any system works up in scotland for the old firm.

He's out of his depth because he talks about mentality, being ruthless and ringing the changes, yet doesnt do any of these things, because he doesnt know how to do it.

He's out of his depth because when the going gets tough, he slumps back in his chair rather than bark orders at the players from the touchline.

Yes "great managers" have bombed in the PL.

Absolute rubbish. Whilst the quality of obviously less, many Rangers managers failed to usurp Celtic. He did it and was unbeaten doing it. Whatever you think of the quality up there, shitting on that achievement is infantile.

Lots of great managers dont bark orders from the sidelines. If you see doing that as being in your depth then I dont think you know what the phrase means, which I was never convinced of anyway.

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Yes "great managers" have bombed in the PL.

Absolute rubbish. Whilst the quality of obviously less, many Rangers managers failed to usurp Celtic. He did it and was unbeaten doing it. Whatever you think of the quality up there, shitting on that achievement is infantile.

Lots of great managers dont bark orders from the sidelines. If you see doing that as being in your depth then I dont think you know what the phrase means, which I was never convinced of anyway.

For the first bit, i assumed you were referring to SG as a great manager.

For the rest, his system allowed rangers to overtake celtic in a two horse race. I'd argue everything smith achieved here outdoes that ten fold.

I'd rather a manager do something, anything, than slump back in his chair.

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

If this really is the case, what does it say about manager's ability? 

That he doesn't know how to get the best out of the outstanding midfielders we already have, or a Brazilian Olympic champion winning CDM.... obviously... Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'd argue everything smith achieved here outdoes that ten fold.

Getting a team promoted from the Championship (something loads of terrible managers have done) beats winning the SPL unbeaten after 10 year dominance?

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With regards to the " There will be changes " which everyone keeps going on about.

I agreed at the time as well, as was fuming.

However, if you actually listened to his pre match presser, he pretty much indicated that their wouldn't be too many after having a chat with the players. I'm not sure how everyone skips this lol.

" I said to the players, look, the easiest thing for me to do would be to make wholesale changes , the important thing is, they know it wasn't good enough, and the level of performance has to go up etc ". This points to him having a sincere talk with the players, and trusting them to go again.

Even on some podcasts during the week, and reflections myself, I'm sure most.sane fans weren't expecting us to be lining up with Chukwuemeka, , Iroegbunam, Young, Sanson, Hause, Chrisene and Bailey in the starting 11. We need to have a look at the the extent of our bench before asking for wholesale changes.

And if we did, and lost, there would be a slaughtering, and understandably so.

So in one sense, the wiser/safer decision, was to have renewed belief in some of your senior players to put it right, they failed.

Ings looked good in the first half IMO, and our play was much Improved from Newcastle. I know we will overlook this due to the end result, and the previous few results.

I'm a bit worried myself, however, it's still too early if you're being realistic and reasonable.

Or are people realistically proposing that we go full out Watford and chop until we get it right, after 14 games? Has anyone sat back and thought about what the possible ramifications of this would be?

It's the stuff we would be mocking other clubs for doing.

I did have a worry in the first few games that we were way too narrow and gave too much space out wide, but I also saw the benefits. It seems like the system has sort of disintegrated a bit since then though.

If he has a plan B, now is probably the time to use it, but is that then a sign of weakness? If we change the system and it doesn't work, I can see us moaning about that as well, as " It means he's got no faith in his own system and/or do sent know what he's doing ".

Management ain't easy. Lol

In my view, he needs to seriously consider twaeking the system. He has used 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 in the past at Rangers, and this probably suits our current crop better.

very good post

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With regards to the " There will be changes " which everyone keeps going on about.

I agreed at the time as well, as was fuming.

However, if you actually listened to his pre match presser, he pretty much indicated that their wouldn't be too many after having a chat with the players. I'm not sure how everyone skips this lol.

" I said to the players, look, the easiest thing for me to do would be to make wholesale changes , the important thing is, they know it wasn't good enough, and the level of performance has to go up etc ". This points to him having a sincere talk with the players, and trusting them to go again.

Even on some podcasts during the week, and reflections myself, I'm sure most.sane fans weren't expecting us to be lining up with Chukwuemeka, , Iroegbunam, Young, Sanson, Hause, Chrisene and Bailey in the starting 11. We need to have a look at the the extent of our bench before asking for wholesale changes.

And if we did, and lost, there would be a slaughtering, and understandably so.

So in one sense, the wiser/safer decision, was to have renewed belief in some of your senior players to put it right, they failed.

Ings looked good in the first half IMO, and our play was much Improved from Newcastle. I know we will overlook this due to the end result, and the previous few results.

I'm a bit worried myself, however, it's still too early if you're being realistic and reasonable.

Or are people realistically proposing that we go full out Watford and chop until we get it right, after 14 games? Has anyone sat back and thought about what the possible ramifications of this would be?

It's the stuff we would be mocking other clubs for doing.

I did have a worry in the first few games that we were way too narrow and gave too much space out wide, but I also saw the benefits. It seems like the system has sort of disintegrated a bit since then though.

If he has a plan B, now is probably the time to use it, but is that then a sign of weakness? If we change the system and it doesn't work, I can see us moaning about that as well, as " It means he's got no faith in his own system and/or do sent know what he's doing ".

Management ain't easy. Lol

In my view, he needs to seriously consider twaeking the system. He has used 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 in the past at Rangers, and this probably suits our current crop better.

Top post. I think this is a balanced, rational and intelligent assessment - thank you.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That he doesn't know how to get the best out of the outstanding midfielders we already have, or a Brazilian Olympic champion winning CDM.... obviously... Lol

Yeah, I doubt Gerrard would've ever come here had we not had Nakamba in the squad. 

10 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Promotion, rebuilding, staying up, cup final = yes.

The SPL is an embarassment of a competition

Promotion, nearly got relegated, had a good start to a season, finished terribly. Started the next season badly, lost 5 in a row, sacked. Lost cup final.

Tim Sherwood got us to a cup final too.

The SPL might be an embarrassment (altho I bet you havent seen a full game in years) but Celtic had won 9 league titles in a row. The quality is irrelevant, he still got Rangers back to the top and in some style. 

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 2

The players are what they are. Some are decent, some not good enough, and a few world class, but certainly good enough for midtable or better. If Gerrard doesn't change "the system" for next game, he's simply a moron, and has no business being a manager in the top flight. 

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Promotion, nearly got relegated, had a good start to a season, finished terribly. Started the next season badly, lost 5 in a row, sacked. Lost cup final.

The SPL might be an embarrassment (altho I bet you havent seen a full game in years) but Celtic had won 9 league titles in a row. The quality is irrelevant, he still got Rangers back to the top and in some style. 

Strange to make assumptions about me when you don't know me.

How many of those 9 league titles were rangers in the same division for. 

Unbeaten sounds great doesnt it? Effectively though they went unbeaten against celtic, every other game is a banker

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

So you got my point and then missed the point. What other clubs do does have meaning though, it affects where we are in the league. 

But ultimately it is what we do in matches that matter. We are losing to relegation threatened teams and teams below us in the table. We are a gift for other teams at the moment.

29 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Against Neil Lennon. And did nothing in the cups.

• Like 2

The system we’re playing right now is horrible. Without a decent DM, or 2 for that matter, I have some sympathy, but still, it’s horrible to watch. 

We’re not capable of playing like Liverpool and we’ll do it next week, the week after, and the week after that. 

Â