Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Thebsoundbites are great. The reality is underwhelming at the moment. No major injuries to contend with either and a decent squad to choose from backed up by state of the art facilities.  I think Gerrard called it good enough a facility that there can be no excuses.. well his tactics are simply not working at the moment. 

Maybe we should take on the Watford model and simply exchange managers throughout the season to rely on bounce. We'd still limp around the lower reaches of the league. As with Everton, it's almost unforgivable to spend that much money and still look devoid of quality or direction. Beginning to not care.

Just now, AVFCGB said:

Tammy would struggle with this lot!  Last year I was convinced Watkins was the better of the two, but I’m having serious doubts.

I think tammy would love the creativity of buendia and countinho.  Id sell watkins and try get tammy in the summer 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Gerrard got the standard new manager bounce and since then we've become a load of shit. Shipping goals for fun. Culminating in the absolute shambles we witnessed today. 

I really don't think it was just a standard new manager bounce. We looked a lot better tactically. As I said, we have now regressed for some reason. Problem isn't just a drop in effort.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I mean do they get clear instructions.

They say they do. Mings did a moany interview this week having a dig at Smith and saying jobs are made clear right now.

Gerrard says they do all the time. "No excuses".

I'd love them to get some clear instructions in a different formation. We are painfully easy to play against.

Could be some trouble after Watford, because it isn't hard to see how you beat us.

Mings problem was that he was playing crap and didn't like being dropped by Smith. He needs to grow up and move on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Ok but would we have gotten 17 points in that time if Smith had stayed? Almost certainly not. And that's not a defence of Gerrard as much as it is an indictment of Smith.

Pointless comparison.

Can’t say that as Smith was just as likely to go on a winning or hefty points accumulation as he was to go on a losing run.  17 points is not a great points haul, so Smith could’ve got the same, more or less.  That’s not me saying we should’ve stayed with Smith just I don’t think your point is valid.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I think tammy would love the creativity of buendia and countinho.  Id sell watkins and try get tammy in the summer 

Right call!  Tammy and Cameron would be a better option than the current incumbents

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

McGinn and Luiz just need to be got rid of from a starting team if we are ever going to be anything other than bang average side. McGinn has had enough excuses made from his inconsistency, enough is enough. Luiz is just done at this club.

Mork calling Orson come in Orson - Mork calling Orson come in Orson 

Just now, nick76 said:

Can’t say that as Smith was just as likely to go on a winning or hefty points accumulation as he was to go on a losing run.  17 points is not a great points haul, so Smith could’ve got the same, more or less.  That’s not me saying we should’ve stayed with Smith just I don’t think your point is valid.

Not saying it was? Just pointing out that we were in dreadful form under Smith and were sinking fast.

Just now, catanzaro said:

At least he doesn’t give them any excuses. His comments after the game give me confidence he’ll sort it.. but he needs a little bit of time!!

Only team he will end up managing in Liverpool if this goes wrong is Tranmere

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Not saying it was? Just pointing out that we were in dreadful form under Smith and were sinking fast.

Yeah my point is that Smith could’ve just gone a run of great form as well.

Vintage VT. Now Smith is becoming a great manager again. Check the results of his last calendar year and watch the last 5 games before he was sacked and if you dont think it was the right decision after doing that then football probably isn't for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

The change was needed.

Whether an inexperienced manager being paid like a seasoned champions league manager was the right move remains to be seen.

• Like 3

I should probably say that despite personally being on a massive downer about Gerrard and the way we play, I’m very happy to give him all of next season to see what we can do. I’m not encouraged by what I see.

Having said that, I’d replace Cash, Mings, Konsa, Douglas Luiz, McGinn and Watkins. It’s basically an admission that 50% of our team isn’t good enough. 

Was pretty disheartening to see SG’s body language in stoppage time. Why was he not on the edge of his area? It was like we were 3-0 down. Players react to that sort of body language. Really hope this isn’t going in the Sherwood direction. Will be interesting if we start to hear ‘rumours’ that Digne/Chambers signings were Lange’s and not his if they don’t work out….

Â