Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Managerial experience the most overrated concept in sport. 

You couldn't be more wrong. However, SG seems so far to have a special talent for it at a relatively young age and haven't never managed at a high level before. He is one of a small group that are the exceptions to the rule and not IT.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It really wasn’t! It was his lack of managerial experience especially none at this level.

Considering some of the absolute rubbish we've appointed in the last 10 years, including so called experienced managers who've done terrible jobs, Gerrard's record at Rangers was as good as we could reasonably have expected to get.

Either way, if it was someone a little more "neutral" than Gerrard, it wouldn't have been met with so much scepticism.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Either way, if it was someone a little more "neutral" than Gerrard, it wouldn't have been met with so much scepticism.

Don’t even know what this means other than repeating what you originally said which was wrong

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Considering some of the absolute rubbish we've appointed in the last 10 years, including so called experienced managers who've done terrible jobs, Gerrard's record at Rangers was as good as we could reasonably have expected to get.

So past hiring by previous administrations is your basis plus we’ve hired inexperienced people like Sherwood, Garde and Di Matteo as well as experienced so we are crap at hiring both so this this isn’t a basis for your point.

If you think his record is the best you could do then you don’t have a high opinion of Aston Villa or the pull of the PL at all.  I obviously don’t agree.  Thankfully Gerrard is doing well.

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If you think his record is the best you could do then you don’t have a high opinion of Aston Villa or the pull of the PL at all.  I obviously don’t agree.

There are plenty of managers in the PL right now who are not high profile. The "pull" isn't as strong for managers as it is for players. You're also forgetting that AVFC has been an absolute graveyard for managers in the last 20 years. Their careers either nose dive or are out of the job completely. We are not the most attractive club for managers.

Gerrard had done a fantastic job at Rangers, is highly respected in the sport and knows the game here left to right. All of that could of course meant nothing, as it has for other managers with similar CVs, but I dont think there were too managers out there that we could have gotten with more credentials than Gerrard, especially whilst being in a relegation fight at the time.

46 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It is possible to A, have thought Smith deserved more time, B, been rightfully cautious of Gerrard as a manager with his lack of managerial experience, C, be absolutely delighted and seriously impressed by the start he’s made, D, retrospectively think the correct decision was made and E, still be cautious of what the future holds at the same time.

|If you're looking for nuance and middle grounds, you're in the wrong pub mate.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Don’t even know what this means other than repeating what you originally said which was wrong

So past hiring by previous administrations is your basis plus we’ve hired inexperienced people like Sherwood, Garde and Di Matteo as well as experienced so we are crap at hiring both so this this isn’t a basis for your point.

If you think his record is the best you could do then you don’t have a high opinion of Aston Villa or the pull of the PL at all.  I obviously don’t agree.  Thankfully Gerrard is doing well.

Di Matteo was probably more experienced than Gerrard was when he came here

He had a promotion, worked abroad and a Champions League under his belt....... He was crap 😂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

You couldn't be more wrong. However, SG seems so far to have a special talent for it at a relatively young age and haven't never managed at a high level before. He is one of a small group that are the exceptions to the rule and not IT.

The thing about experience is that some people have lots of different experiences and some people have the same experience lots of times. Look at what fans say about Steve Bruce at every club he’s ever managed. They all say the same and it ain’t very good. 

Recognising talent before it’s come to the attention of everyone else is the trick. It’s what we’re trying to do with the academy and what we appear to have done with SG. As you rightly say Phil there are exceptions to every rule but ignoring experience is folly. It’s spotting the difference between good and bad experience that’s important. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

There are plenty of managers in the PL right now who are not high profile. The "pull" isn't as strong for managers as it is for players. You're also forgetting that AVFC has been an absolute graveyard for managers in the last 20 years. Their careers either nose dive or are out of the job completely. We are not the most attractive club for managers.

We are at the highest pull ever…

Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Rangnick, Conte, Rodgers, Benitez, Moyes, Ranieri…you can keep going down the list.  It’s also been lauded only recently how strong the management currently is in the PL, with clubs having top and elite managers…I’m not sure how you can say otherwise.

I don’t even know where to start on AVFC being attractive for managers…just bonkers that you don’t think we are given where we are from top to bottom  at the club.

• Like 1

I was certainly skeptical on his appointment (less to do with him, and more to do with a general skepticism of appointing managers from the Scottish league, as its such a limited league and easier to look unbeatable by simply dominating one other club), but i have to say i am very pleased with how things are going. We looked superb last night in the first half (albeit against a very poor performance) and arguably should have been out of sight by half time.  We have performed very well (even in the nature of the losses to two world class teams) and it seems to be extending further than the usual 'new manager bounce'. There needs to be a level of realism in terms of expectations of game play, if you go gung ho and attack Liverpool or man city you end up with a result like leeds got last night, so im not overly concerned with him setting us up conservatively in the early days against the big teams, and i think in both of those games we were dangerous in spurts so signs for the future are positive. It will be interesting to see what happens if / when he has a full squad to choose from (Traore hasnt been seen, Bailey limited to cameos, losing nakamba,  ings just back and poor sanson, who i can only imagine is currently wandering into the path of a hurricane and about to be struck by lightning, is out just as he showed glimmers), and once he has gotten a transfer window or two under his belt to start to turn the team into his 'own'.

• Like 1

Summarising some of what's bene said above, im not sure that you realise the pressure goldfish bowl environment of being Rangers manager and in particular after the mess he took over the achievement in stopping ten in a row - In short its a huge pressure cooker with the focus constantly on.

Add to that the success in Europe, his Liverpool playing career and I think the myth of no top experience/my nan could manage in Scotland attitude is blown apart

Gerrard is the real deal as are the team around him

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The thing about experience is that some people have lots of different experiences and some people have the same experience lots of times. Look at what fans say about Steve Bruce at every club he’s ever managed. They all say the same and it ain’t very good. 

Recognising talent before it’s come to the attention of everyone else is the trick. It’s what we’re trying to do with the academy and what we appear to have done with SG. As you rightly say Phil there are exceptions to every rule but ignoring experience is folly. It’s spotting the difference between good and bad experience that’s important. 

Agree and Life experience too can impact how the club operates and how it feeds all the way down to a 6 yr old prodigy. You also build you're own experience by facing up to adversity and curve balls that come from every direction. Arteta right now, love or loathe him, he's had to put up with everything from stepping out of a giants shodow, to dealing with poor/dodgy owners, to dealing with his top star being insubordinate, it will all add towards what an experienced Arteta will become.

What SG lacks in on the job all around managerial experience, he counters with on the pitch experience at the highest level, experiencing how top managers operate and he has assembled a team that compliments what he brings to the table and fills the gaps.

Couldn't be happier after initially being cold on the idea. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cb_82 said:

Summarising some of what's bene said above, im not sure that you realise the pressure goldfish bowl environment of being Rangers manager and in particular after the mess he took over the achievement in stopping ten in a row - In short its a huge pressure cooker with the focus constantly on.

Add to that the success in Europe, his Liverpool playing career and I think the myth of no top experience/my nan could manage in Scotland attitude is blown apart

Gerrard is the real deal as are the team around him

I think thats a fair point, i dont really watch much scottish football and so am mostly uninformed about his time up there and the pressures of getting Rangers back up and 'functioning' as a club.

His football career certainly has exposed him to world class managers and given him loads of experience.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Prepare to be surprised.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Except Leeds got no points against Man C and added -7 to their goal difference. That in effect puts them two games behind their rivals. Is that the outcome we should have been seeking against these sides?

I actually can't believe you've had to explain this...

How is it way off the mark? Your talking like we have pulled a manager from the Birmingham & District leagues to manage us 

I just cant buy into the ''he hasn't managed in the prem'' - He played in it for 20 years as well as in international club and country comps learning from the very best, hes admitted that especially in the later part of his career that he really did become a student of the game in terms of learning from them. Then add to this he has been in European competition for Rangers progressing each year to decent stages playing teams of Prem or better than prem teams level and having success.

The likes of Fonseca & the gang - Haven't managed in the ''prem'' - Even Ten Hag - Hasn't managed in the prem and the Dutch league is not far off as one sided as the SPL!!

This prem experience/hasn't managed in the league is Paul Merson standard analysis 

• Like 3

Â