Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm gonna be completely honest here, I think it's mostly psychological because of how much confidence Gerrard has inspired in our defence in recent weeks.

But at the end of the day, the kind of defending we were doing in this game I don't think is sustainable in the long run. We didn't really shut them out, they had chances, some quite quality ones they should've made more off as well. When you've letting in those kind of chances, it's really only a matter of time that you'll concede one way or another. Maybe on another day, we could've held out til the end but maybe we could've conceded 2 or 3 instead. It really depends on how ruthless the other side are on the day. 

I'm not trying to diminish the team's performance but I've just never seen these types of performances as a good defensive performance. Liverpool simply threatened us too much for that to be the case. It would be another case if we controlled possession such that Liverpool didn't have much opportunity to attack or we allowed them possession but they were limited to speculative shots from far out. Neither were really the case here.

Exactly this. 

Reminded me a lot of the 2-1 defeat in the 19/20 season. 

You can't just set up to defend and expect to get something against the best teams. 

City game was very encouraging, this one for me disappointing. 

Showed his pragmatic side today. Worrying about what the opposition does. But thats fine . He will learn from this i am sure and as he gets in the right players or coaches the current ones how he wants to play i am sure we will play more expansive football. 

Probably the worst performance he has got out of our players but also against the best side we have played. So that figures. 

Gerrard mentioned in his interview that he maybe should have threw more at it (took more risks) a bit earlier so maybe a small amount of regret from him but also, as he suggests, you then leave yourself more open to Liverpool scoring again.

3 wins in 5 games is obviously a very good start and if we can get at least 4 points from the next 2 games we'll be in a decent position.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Let's just give up then and just adopt damage limitation tactics against opposition we deem superior. Like we did under Lambert. 

I expect us to have more of a go. 

That’s not what I said though is it.  They are a far superior team than us.  You even said in the pre match it was the right line up.  They battled as hard as we did but they are superior so will win 9 times out of 10 under these conditions.  Over time we continue to improve to bridge that gap.

If you think though that if they played well and we played well, that we are any match for them I think is foolish thinking. If you didn’t think Gerrard did right today, then I don’t think you are going to be happy with Gerrard over time and be wanting him replaced over the coming year.

We lost to a dubious penalty, we could’ve had one ourselves, they missed some chances they might normally take but we battled. We’ll get better as time goes on but if we play one of the big three and they want to play it will be very difficult for us to get a result because we are that far behind them.  We have to hope they aren’t firing on all cylinders, that we nick a goal, that we put run them, that we get a bit of luck to get a result because they are starting off a lot better than us.  

We never give up obviously but we try to containment them and then hit them.  It didn’t work today but if we went toe to toe like I think you wanted with them I can imagine the score line being closer to 4-0 or 5-0, which isn’t the way to play them. Gerrard played it right today but it didn’t come off.

Just now, nick76 said:

That’s not what I said though is it.  They are a far superior team than us.  You even said in the pre match it was the right line up.  They battled as hard as we did but they are superior so will win 9 times out of 10 under these conditions.  Over time we continue to improve to bridge that gap.

If you think though that if they played well and we played well, that we are any match for them I think is foolish thinking. If you didn’t think Gerrard did right today, then I don’t think you are going to be happy with Gerrard over time and be wanting him replaced over the coming year.

We lost to a dubious penalty, we could’ve had one ourselves, they missed some chances they might normally take but we battled. We’ll get better as time goes on but if we play one of the big three and they want to play it will be very difficult for us to get a result because we are that far behind them.  We have to hope they aren’t firing on all cylinders, that we nick a goal, that we put run them, that we get a bit of luck to get a result because they are starting off a lot better than us.  

We never give up obviously but we try to containment them and then hit them.  It didn’t work today but if we went toe to toe like I think you wanted with them I can imagine the score line being closer to 4-0 or 5-0, which isn’t the way to play them. Gerrard played it right today but it didn’t come off.

I never blamed the lineup, but the approach.

22 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm gonna be completely honest here, I think it's mostly psychological because of how much confidence Gerrard has inspired in our defence in recent weeks.

I think that’s the problem, that some fans are getting ahead of themselves after 3 wins in 4 and the positive atmosphere around the club.  We are still light years behind Liverpool, and we had a game plan today that didn’t get us the win because Liverpool showed why they are that good. At the end of the day though we only lost by a dubious penalty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I never blamed the lineup, but the approach.

As a I said, I think the approach you may have wanted would’ve meant we lost by 4 or 5 as the final 10 minutes started to begin to show when we attacked more and opened up.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think that’s the problem, that some fans are getting ahead of themselves after 3 wins in 4 and the positive atmosphere around the club.  We are still light years behind Liverpool, and we had a game plan today that didn’t get us the win because Liverpool showed why they are that good. At the end of the day though we only lost by a dubious penalty.

To be honest after this game I can see where you are coming from.

May have been a little early to jump on the bandwagon.

We'll see how we look the coming weeks but today for me was disappointing. Hope this is not the approach Gerrard is going for whenever we play the big sides.

Edited by villalad21

I think there is perspective needed. If Gerrard was in that Liverpool team it would be the greatest Liverpool team he had ever played in.

They are a complete team with the best striker and best central defender in the world arguably. . 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

As a I said, I think the approach you may have wanted would’ve meant we lost by 4 or 5 as the final 10 minutes started to begin to show when we attacked more and opened up.

No not at all.

Not saying let's go gung ho but we literally didn't do anything but sit back and defend and let Liverpool do exactly what they wanted.

Was showing far too much respect. Far too much.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

To be honest after this game I can see where you are coming from.

May have been a little early to jump on the bandwagon.

We'll see how we look the coming weeks but today for me was disappointing.

I think any manager with this Villa team against that Liverpool team would’ve played the same way after being here less than a month including Pep and Klopp.

Liverpool are the best team in the world and they were on today. Klopp rested most of the squad mid week because he knew what was coming and had his team up for the game.

Was I disappointed that we weren’t more of a threat going forward, yes. But nobody would have walked away with a point today against that Liverpool team when they’re in that mood.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

Liverpool are the best team in the world and they were on today. Klopp rested most of the squad mid week because he knew what was coming and had his team up for the game.

Was I disappointed that we weren’t more of a threat going forward, yes. But nobody would have walked away with a point today against that Liverpool team when they’re in that mood.

Exactly this.

A lot of positives to take from today's game - particularly how well we contained Liverpool and the organisation in general. Also Gerrard impressed me with his post-match comments. 

You'd have to be pretty clueless and unrealistic to be particularly disappointed with that performance and result today IMO.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

City game was very encouraging, this one for me disappointing

Not the first half of the City game. Said before the game playing at Anfield is the hardest task in football. A 1-0 defeat is very credible

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

A lot of positives to take from today's game - particularly how well we contained Liverpool and the organisation in general. Also Gerrard impressed me with his post-match comments. 

You'd have to be pretty clueless and unrealistic to be particularly disappointed with that performance and result today IMO.

20-4 in shots

We had zero shots on target 

71 % pass accuracy

And people are not entitled to feel disappointed by the performance? Give me a break.

• Like 1

Â