Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I talked yesterday about SG not bringing any players from sevco...........forgot about the young fullback, Nathan Patterson who is certainly going to climb to a much higher level than the SPL...........maybe????

His immediate aim will be to move us away from the awful position we are in, which is why it's really important he gets off to a good start against Brighton.

But there are some weird comments on here like his aim for this season is to just survive. I think he won't survive if that is his ambition and he can kiss goodbye to the Liverpool job.

Still think his remit from the owners will be to get in the top 10, particularly if he is given money in January. Even Smith said he felt he would achieve that after he was sacked.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Secondly, he does seem to possess good man management and that could be seen with him and the loose cannon Morelos. Never any stories of dressing room tiffs / feuds.......always seemed a "happy" squad.

As childish as it is, I think having a manager where there is the element of doubt of whether or not he could batter you always helps with dressing room unrest. Obviously not all top managers have it but a lot of them do and some people/players only seem to respond to that kind of presence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

As childish as it is, I think having a manager where there is the element of doubt of whether or not he could batter you always helps with dressing room unrest. Obviously not all top managers have it but a lot of them do and some people/players only seem to respond to that kind of presence.

Agreed, but to keep a squad of 30 + differing types of players onside you need a range of man management skills and not just  "do what I say or else" .  Lennon had this attitude and lost more than one dressing room.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

The Roy Keane method

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

His remit is in no way for to us to "survive".

We may as well have kept Smith if this is the case.

Top 10 or Bust this season with a european challenge next season for old Stevie G.

I think it's fair to say an incoming manager is likely to have a periopd of grace to stabilise, assess and then improve us, which wouldn't be afforded to an incumbant

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I'd love a Simeone type! 🤣

18 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Agreed, but to keep a squad of 30 + differing types of players onside you need a range of man management skills and not just  "do what I say or else" .  Lennon had this attitude and lost more than one dressing room.

Oh yeah I agree completely. That is just one string to the bow of man management, different people respond to different methods so you need to be capable of using many to be successful. I just meant that in the case of Morelos and similar players, Gerrard has the 'fear factor' required for them to respond well.

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The screaming jilted teenager response from some posters is as stupid as it is nonsense.

How much of that has there been since he was appointed? I’ve barely seen any at all… can’t believe that there are actually fans who want him to fail as only we will suffer for it… that’s where the fear factors comes for some of us…

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with debating his credentials etc. and I haven’t really seen many, if any, posts just outright hating on him or wanting him to fail. Would just be best to ignore the odd post like that, they’ll soon stop if they get no attention.

Pretty sure that we all want him to succeed now, just some of us are unsure or being cautious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Will 100 % be a relegation battle this season and we've got Smith to thank for that.

If Gerrard manages to salvage a 14th place position he's done an outstanding first season.

What?!!!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Still think his remit from the owners will be to get in the top 10, particularly if he is given money in January. Even Smith said he felt he would achieve that after he was sacked.

I'm not sure he will get any money unless we sell players, as we are right up to the FFP limit. 

I would just like to see some significant improvement in how we defend and use the ball. I am sick to death of watching us hoof the ball and rely on long throws – I want to see passing and movement and, dare I say, some exciting football at a packed Villa park!!  If we can start to see tangible signs of improvement, get some more wins and finish somewhere around mid-table (above would obviously be a bonus), I would be delighted and would go into next season (after the summer transfer window and a proper pre-season) with a lot of optimism that Villa can push on.

I am a bit bemused by all the negativity surrounding Gerrard. From what I can tell, he has the attributes to succeed, and he has brought in good coaches who all know how to work together and win. Personally, I think he (they) will transform us and be very successful.  I just have a good feeling about the fit. Yes, there is a risk on both sides, but there are also some strong aligned incentives.  The fact that Gerrard has taken such a risk to come here makes me think he will walk over glass to make Villa better. The same with Purslow and the backing of Gerrard. Perhaps if it was just Gerrard, I might be more sceptical, but I look at the established team he has brought and what they did at Rangers and have plenty of optimism (hope) they will do well.  I am buzzing for the Brighton game and am really looking forward to seeing what they can do with a good squad of players., including our younger prospects.

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

Why is 14th place ok now? It wasn’t for the previous manager.

Before I get pigeonholed, I’m on board with Gerrard as a choice as manager, but there are supporters who are now saying similar things to this.

Now this is just my opinion, but I don’t think that DS was removed from his job because they thought he was going to take us down, but more because they don’t believe that he can take us to the next level.

I’m not saying for one minute that we should be expecting top 8, but by the same token it feels like as he is being brought in to do what the previous manager couldn’t do, then Gerrard has to deliver right? 

It isn’t, just ignore him.

Â