Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The difference is that in the Premier League, you are up against a team that has at least a fighting chance almost every week, so you can't just phone it in and get away with it. Any mistakes and you're dropping points. Probably Norwich is the only team that has been rolling over for everyone?

Whereas in Scotland you really have such a headstart over the other teams, they need to play out of their skins and you need to make huge mistakes to drop points. Here's the wage bills from 2020:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-wage-bills-all-12-teams-ranked-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-majority-ps62m-paid-salaries-1398455

Oh I agree, but that falls under my acknowledgment that the SPL is much weaker. I’m not entirely sure it answers my second point about being under much more scrutiny, in fact it probably strengthens the view that all things considered the pressure to win is immense. 

Not Gerrard related, well kinda is, but I wonder who will get the bigger reception on the day Smith returns to Villa park… Smith or Gerrard?

Ill make sure I’m at that game. Can’t wait to show him the love he deserves. 

Ive had a drink. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Eastie said:

Some things purslow says can be taken with a pinch of salt , he was set on Gerrard long before any so called interviews  , he was blown away by Gerrard long before this week - there’s a Liverpool forum thread somewhere about how he used to follow Gerrard around like a puppy and it was standing joke among the players at the time 

Do you have a link for this? The stories about him being laughed at by all the players for stuff like that seem to have been pushed by a Liverpool journalist that Purslow blackballed during his time at the club. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they're true, but to me the little anecdotes read like bitter fiction from the imagination of someone with an axe to grind.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not Gerrard related, well kinda is, but I wonder who will get the bigger reception on the day Smith returns to Villa park… Smith or Gerrard?

Ill make sure I’m at that game. Can’t wait to show him the love he deserves. 

Ive had a drink. 

What a strange question!

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why when we talk about experience are we focusing in solely on Gerrard rather than his team as a whole? Gary McAllister and Michael Beale are highly experienced men, for example. Should that not be weighted, and if yes how much? 

It’s a good question. I think coaching goes under the radar a little which, when things are going well, is bad for the coaches but when times are hard, they get to hide behind the manager.

G. Jones is a good example of a coach having an impact under Bruce last season. I’m sure there are plenty more. 

I think Beale and McCallister will be just as important as Gerrard as a collective. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why when we talk about experience are we focusing in solely on Gerrard rather than his team as a whole? Gary McAllister and Michael Beale are highly experienced men, for example. Should that not be weighted, and if yes how much? 

I’m genuinely looking forward to Mcallister being back at the club. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think we need to get 8 more wins this season to see us safe… hopefully Gerrard can get us there. 

We will need a lot for than 8 wins to survive mate as that only gets us to 3_ points!

9 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

We will need a lot for than 8 wins to survive mate as that only gets us to 3_ points!

Well, there will obviously be draws as well… but prefer to set a win target. I think 11 wins in a season will usually see a team fairly safe without causing too much stress! 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

10-12 points would be outstanding from the first 9 considering the shambles they're walking into. 

Absolutely, people forget confidence in on the floor after a dismal calendar year and 5 defeats on the spin.

Hopefully Stevens arrival will give everyone a boost but I still think it will take some time to get his and the coaching teams ideas across and give us some identity back.

I know the old-fashioned press conference is going out of fashion somewhat, but I must say I'm surprised by the lack of welcome interview on the OS yet. Is he still packing up his things in Glasgow??

Edited by est1874

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have already list some of his redeeming factors...but watch "High Performance" by Jake Humphrey and you will learn more about your new manager and what makes him tick.

There are rakes of factors to get right in the business of being an Elite Manager, and SG has a way to go to be one, he knows that himself....He is very aware of himself and his capabilitties...but one thing is clear, Steven Gerrard is a born winner, its in his DNA, does that make him a miracle worker, NO....but does that make him work until he gets it right, yes.....Does that make him give in at the first sign of adversity, NO.....Has he demonstrated through his life, that he strives for betterment, Yes....has he a record, for acheiving betterment, Yes.

I don't think SG is a character, who rests on his laurels, he is forever looking for the next buzz, the next challenge, The next opportunity to be at the top table with the Elite managers and I believe, he wants to do it with us.

While I am excited, by the appointment, I am not naive enough to believe, everything will re rosey in the Garden....and turning us around, will be a breeze, but I do believe, he will quickly identify the weaknesses that has landed us where we are, how long it will take to rectify, I don't know that timescale, but I hope it steers us clear of Danger.

While I think Dean and Steve have aligning similarities regarding some things, I also see differences in their make up....Steve will add steel, imo...but he is not the whip hand that will thrash them in to shape, that is simply not what Steven Gerrard is about.

For the doubters, they just have to wait and see....For the believers, like me, we just have to hope we was right from the start.

Appreciate the response but it hasn’t affected my feelings… I just don’t see any kind of guarantee here… in any way. I’ve listened to and watched a fair bit of content such as the source you mentioned. Personally, it means nothing to me unless it’s reflected out on that pitch… anyone can talk the talk, it’s about walking the walk…

There have been many ex players who had steel, determination and a will to win (as well as a large trophy cabinet) who have utterly failed as managers. It’s a completely different experience and requires a different skillset, including intelligence (which many of them lack 😆).

I can see why some would believe he could help us or be the right man to lead us, but I cannot see anything to create any confidence…

I’m hoping for the best, positive performances from the off. Anticipating and hoping for a new manager bounce. Imo, we must beat one of Brighton or Palace to kind of salvage our season and get of on the right foot, need a base to build on.. It’s going to be much tougher if we lose both of those games.

On the bright side, if we put in positive performances and get results in those games then I would not be surprised to see us get a result against one, if not more, of the big boys. We managed it with Dean after all.

It may seem unfair but Gerrard has to hit the ground running here with us… if we really are as ambitious as we claim and the ownership have so much faith in the new man, we simply must.

I’m not willing to predict a thing 🤣 All I hope for, initially, is that we start winning games again. We have to.

Thanks for taking the time to respond TRO.

Onwards n upwards I hope.

UTV

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I know the old-fashioned press conference is going out of fashion somewhat, but I must say I'm surprised by the lack of welcome interview on the OS yet. Is he still packing up his things in Glasgow??

I’m sure I read somewhere that he doesn’t officially start until Monday… might be wrong though, I often am!

I also don’t see how he will, initially, solve the midfield conundrum… it’s his greatest challenge from the off.

We have the same players… yes he can give them a boost and get them working or running harder. What we need is quality…

Again, let’s see…

He’ll probably be fortunate (and get better luck than Dean did) and have the majority of players fit and ready to perform for him…

We have to attack every game… can’t keep sliding.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have already list some of his redeeming factors...but watch "High Performance" by Jake Humphrey and you will learn more about your new manager and what makes him tick.

There are rakes of factors to get right in the business of being an Elite Manager, and SG has a way to go to be one, he knows that himself....He is very aware of himself and his capabilitties...but one thing is clear, Steven Gerrard is a born winner, its in his DNA, does that make him a miracle worker, NO....but does that make him work until he gets it right, yes.....Does that make him give in at the first sign of adversity, NO.....Has he demonstrated through his life, that he strives for betterment, Yes....has he a record, for acheiving betterment, Yes.

I don't think SG is a character, who rests on his laurels, he is forever looking for the next buzz, the next challenge, The next opportunity to be at the top table with the Elite managers and I believe, he wants to do it with us.

While I am excited, by the appointment, I am not naive enough to believe, everything will re rosey in the Garden....and turning us around, will be a breeze, but I do believe, he will quickly identify the weaknesses that has landed us where we are, how long it will take to rectify, I don't know that timescale, but I hope it steers us clear of Danger.

While I think Dean and Steve have aligning similarities regarding some things, I also see differences in their make up....Steve will add steel, imo...but he is not the whip hand that will thrash them in to shape, that is simply not what Steven Gerrard is about.

For the doubters, they just have to wait and see....For the believers, like me, we just have to hope we was right from the start.

Btw, let me stress that I want him to succeed. Not for his sake, but for Aston Villa.

Trying to be positive but cautious at the same time.

• Like 1

Â