Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

There's an eight point gap between us and Burnley, really with goal difference it's a nine point gap.

we've also got a game in hand.

we also have to play them twice, two opportunities to widen the gap between them and ourselves, people might say it's also an opportunity for them to close the gap, but I'd rather have two fixtures against them in our remaining games than most other teams in the league, as they're not very good and we should be taking at least four points from those games.

we also happen to have an home game coming up against the worst team in the league a win in that game alone will pretty much guarantee us safety.

We've actually got four very winnable games to come, Norwich, Burnley twice, and Palace, a win in any one of those, or even just a couple of draws would see us safe.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we just go and beat Leicester and get it over and done with, they're favorites, but they'e still a midtable team this season and have been playing a lot of football which might help us, and surely we're due a win.

As well as all that Burnley and Everton or one of them might not even reach 36 points, we could already be safe.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

Lol I just knew this thread would be at the top when I came on. Getting too predictable now guys.

Nothing to worry about. Got a better chance at Top Half than us going down.

Neither are happening. We'll be 12th-15th

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

I’m just wondering if some of you guys have PTSD from 2015-2016 season or is it mostly your opinions of our manager that make you think we could get relegated? 

This is a genuine question by the way.

Edited by Rustibrooks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joshharris12 said:

Loose to Burnley twice we are potentially 1 point from the drop 

Why, are you also saying that Everton will win all their games, as well as Burnley?

Obviously if all the lower teams win all their games and we lose all our games then we will go down. We'd bloody deserve to too. Same would go for teams like Palace and others around us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its even ridiculous wrle are talking about relegation after where we were. So deflating

I dont think other clubs fans would be, particularly not as a main topic. We're pretty much level with Palace in the league, I cant imagine them panicking like others on here.

I think some posters in this thread though are the same person with multiple accounts, or they're not villa fans. Basically revelling in any conceivable bad outcome for the club.

• Like 1

I'm glad Burnley won, would be boring if Burnley, Watford, and Norwich went down, Everton going down would make the championship more interesting next season, and most importanlty more concerned with finishing above Southampton than what Burnley are going with regards to us. kirbster.gif

• Like 4

Not seeing Leeds mentioned much in all this. Sure they are on 33 points but there remaining fixtures don't look great.

They've got the 17th worse home record themselves this season, with their remaining home games against BHA (7th best away record), Chelsea (2nd best away) and Man City (best away). 

Away they play Arsenal (3rd best home record), Palace (13th best, but mostly down to draws and have only lost 4 of 16 at home, the same as Arsenal) and Brentford (14th best home record, but still getting more ppg at home [1.25] than Leeds have done away from home [1.00] this season)

Three games against top 5 sides that are probably write offs. They might be left needing at least 3-5 points from two remaining away games (one of which against a team that has rarely lost at home) and a home fixture against one of the better away sides in the league. Add to this they've got a GD more than 10 goals worse than Everton or Burnley so would likely come out worse if tied on points.

10 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Not seeing Leeds mentioned much in all this. Sure they are on 33 points but there remaining fixtures don't look great.

They've got the 17th worse home record themselves this season, with their remaining home games against BHA (7th best away record), Chelsea (2nd best away) and Man City (best away). 

Away they play Arsenal (3rd best home record), Palace (13th best, but mostly down to draws and have only lost 4 of 16 at home, the same as Arsenal) and Brentford (14th best home record, but still getting more ppg at home [1.25] than Leeds have done away from home [1.00] this season)

Three games against top 5 sides that are probably write offs. They might be left needing at least 3-5 points from two remaining away games (one of which against a team that has rarely lost at home) and a home fixture against one of the better away sides in the league. Add to this they've got a GD more than 10 goals worse than Everton or Burnley so would likely come out worse if tied on points.

Not sure Everton have got the games to make up gap on Leeds either though. 4 points behind Leeds with an extra game on them. But that extra game is away and Everton haven't won away since August or even picked up a point on the road since December.

Away games remaining are at the 1st, 3rd and 7th best home sides in Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester, with perhaps their only hope being against Watford, the side with the worst home record so far this season - they haven't won or picked up a point at home since November, which still gives them a better home record than Everton have away from home.

They'd definitely be hoping for a better points return from Brentford and Palace at home, given they've won as many as they've lost at Goodison this season. But then they'll probably still need something from Chelsea, who have only dropped 12 of a possible 48 points away from home this season.

11 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

We're 200/1 with Skybet to go down. 

It was 500/1 last week.

Can't see it happening with our home fixtures left. But I'm sticking £20 on it just in case.

And no, I won't be happy with 4K! 

100/1 now.

itshappening.gif 😛

In all fairness it is extremely unlikely, I think some fans are just concerned cos we have lost our last four, whereas say Dirty Leeds (with arguably a much tougher run-in and less points/games) have won 3 of their last 4.

As others have said, let's put this to bed tomorrow with a win and a performance 👊 UTV

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’m just wondering if some of you guys have PTSD from 2015-2016 season or is it mostly your opinions of our manager that make you think we could get relegated? 

This is a genuine question by the way.

It seems a lot of it is driven by a disdain for Gerrard and perhaps some self-flagellation. We aren’t in any remote danger and yet the thread keeps growing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It seems a lot of it is driven by a disdain for Gerrard and perhaps some self-flagellation. We aren’t in any remote danger and yet the thread keeps growing. 

its not just the thread. seeing it a lot on social media and even my whatsapp chats. there are some people that are genuinely concerned. it's very bizarre

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

its not just the thread. seeing it a lot on social media and even my whatsapp chats. there are some people that are genuinely concerned. it's very bizarre

It’s utterly bizarre. I really don’t get it. I’m in no way nostalgic for the Championship either. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

It’s utterly bizarre. I really don’t get it. I’m in no way nostalgic for the Championship either. 

same. fortunately we wont be back there anytime soon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

In ways it is similar to how Arsenal fans are towards Arteta, you have quite a few fans that are patient with him and some that barely give him a chance.

4 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

In ways it is similar to how Arsenal fans are towards Arteta, you have quite a few fans that are patient with him and some that barely give him a chance.

Except Arteta is also a former player so he has some credit in the bank