Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

Yeah we will likely stumble over enough points to keep us safe this season.'

Would be nice if it could all come together and we get to see some real progress and development in the coming months.

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah we will likely stumble over enough points to keep us safe this season.'

Would be nice if it could all come together and we get to see some real progress and development in the coming months.

50 points and top 10 is still the aim for me. Need to win games like Southampton at home though for that to be realistic.

Not impossible though if we can get to 35-36 points by end of March though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

50 points and top 10 is still the aim for me. Need to win games like Southampton at home though for that to be realistic.

Not impossible though if we can get to 35-36 points by end of March though.

The way we've been playing I'm pretty much just looking to get enough points to not get dragged into the relegation scrap.

I assume Gerrard will be here next season too so obviously I want us to develop something we can build on for next season. Much rather we finish 9th than 13th of course. Anything close to the relegation zone and questions will need to be asked.

Edited by sne
typo

2 minutes ago, sne said:

They way we've been playing I'm pretty much just looking to get enough points to not get dragged into the relegation scrap.

I assume Gerrard will be here next season too so obviously I want us to develop something we can build on for next season. Much rather we finish 9th than 13th of course. Anything close to the relegation zone and questions will need to be asked.

Mid table teams can suddenly get back into form, I think 4 points is achievable from Southampton/Leeds as long as we play in similar style to yesterday. Do that and we're all but safe and 50 points dosen't look that far away all of a sudden.

It's important we have a strong end to the season now just to have a bit more hope going into next year.

In a way this has been a bit similar to O'Neill's first here. Good start then a winless run mid season and we eventually finished 11th but we had a decent run in and then kicked on to finish 6th the next season.

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Bielsa less Leeds were likely be more conservative as a draw or two probably isn't that bad for them in short term so I think it will be completely different to the VP game and be low scoring this time.

If Leeds appoint Jesse Marsch they will continue to be a very hard pressing and hard running team, that’s why he’s the main candidate. They’ll probably get rid of all-over man marking though.

9 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Unless Leeds have some worldy coach coming in this seems unlikely to help them. Leeds is now a Bielsa team. We have seen how changing a system takes time and ours wasnt so extreme. Good news for us.

Imagine if Everton and Leeds went down. 

200.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I'd take a Newcastle down for those 2 staying up for at least a season if I'm honest.

Delay their impending and almost imminent ascendancy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd take a Newcastle down for those 2 staying up for at least a season if I'm honest.

Delay their impending and almost imminent ascendancy.

True, but I have faith they will find a way to mess it up even with money. Its Newcastle after all :)

• Like 1

It's an odd League this season. Wolves are 8th and are on course for 58 points based on their ppg to date. This would have them 11th last season. Seems like every team has had good and terrible runs of form. It's a bit of a shambles all around outside the top 2/3 teams. 

Any run of form can get you a good position come May. I hope out tactical shift in the full backs and 8s can help us at least go on an unbeaten run of 4 or 5 games.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's an odd League this season. Wolves are 8th and are on course for 58 points based on their ppg to date. This would have them 11th last season. Seems like every team has had good and terrible runs of form. It's a bit of a shambles all around outside the top 2/3 teams. 

Any run of form can get you a good position come May. I hope out tactical shift in the full backs and 8s can help us at least go on an unbeaten run of 4 or 5 games.

Last seasons points totals were a bit irregular. 55 points usually gets you around 8th

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

That 10 minute capitulation v Wolves was so costly. We're 10 points behind them now which seems masses.

If we'd held on in that game we'd be 4 points behind, with a game in hand and still to play them. Essentially close to level with them

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, turvontour said:

That 10 minute capitulation v Wolves was so costly. We're 10 points behind them now which seems masses.

If we'd held on in that game we'd be 4 points behind, with a game in hand and still to play them. Essentially close to level with them

Hopefully with their two losses recently Wolves will hit a slump and we can at least get 5-6 points in range before we play them.

Does mean we'll have to do some radical stuff like winning back to back games so let's see if we're up to that anytime soon.

59 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefully with their two losses recently Wolves will hit a slump and we can at least get 5-6 points in range before we play them.

Does mean we'll have to do some radical stuff like winning back to back games so let's see if we're up to that anytime soon.

Before we play them they play Palace, Watford, Everton and Leeds 

No chance they are dropping enough points to get near them even if we won 2 from 4

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Before we play them they play Palace, Watford, Everton and Leeds 

No chance they are dropping enough points to get near them even if we won 2 from 4

Ah right, they still have to play likes of Liverpool and Chelsea away so was hoping they'd play at least one of those games soon and we could win at same time.

Really annoying it seems we can't schedule Burnley at home anytime soon, don't really understand how Burnley-Leicester gets priority when I think that was postponed in January.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Ah right, they still have to play likes of Liverpool and Chelsea away so was hoping they'd play at least one of those games soon and we could win at same time.

Really annoying it seems we can't schedule Burnley at home anytime soon, don't really understand how Burnley-Leicester gets priority when I think that was postponed in January.

It is frustrating about that game but Leicester are still in Europe so this was probably one of the only chance to arrange it in midweek

• Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 15:51, Davkaus said:

I think we have 3 games to save the season and give us the confidence to end it half decently, because of we don't start picking up points in the next 3 games relegation looks more than a possibility

Well, 1 game to play of the 3 I thought were pivotal, but I'll take that. I was genuinely worried a couple of weeks ago, but what a turnaround.