Elden Ring

Chindie

Lost five hours of progress because of a power cut and an issue with the game not saving correctly if the ps5 isn't shut down properly.

Bit gutted as I'd taken down two bosses.

Oh well.

• Sad 1

On 25/02/2022 at 17:02, Chindie said:

Well I've put about 3hrs in, just wandering about really. 

Not sure about it yet.

It has a bit of that Skyrim style drop into the world and go do what you want, which means it feels a little aimless. I also feel like I'm not... 'finding' much. I've not found a weapon that is more useable/'better' than the stuff I started with, same with armour. I've found some summon ashes but can't use them.

I beat a boss in a dungeon, nearly beat another, and just found I feel really, really weak.

Also the ps5 frame rate is actually staying to annoy me. I'm not usually a frame rate person, unless it's broken bad, but this is just irritating. It's not really impacting gameplay at all, you just get a fair bit of judder in the open world at times. Which is a bit rubbish.

But it's very early days and I've barely got my eye in.

I found Skyrim to be like that too. I didn't get very far before I got bored.

9 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah that one took a while. Its the first story boss so there's a definite hike in difficulty.

I'm up to level 21 at the moment, so I'm doing decent damage to him. I think I just need to be a bit more patient and pick my shots. Also need to find how to upgrade my flasks too I think.

Outstanding game so far though. I've spent a lot of time just wandering about (accidentally wandering into areas where I have to turn around because I get battered) and there's so many places that I can't wait to come back to.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

I found Skyrim to be like that too. I didn't get very far before I got bored.

I loved Skyrim, just wondering off to do random side quests, but still having a main eye on the story quest line, I think it was perfectly pitched. Just had another run through on the Switch, and it was magnificent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

I loved Skyrim, just wondering off to do random side quests, but still having a main eye on the story quest line, I think it was perfectly pitched. Just had another run through on the Switch, and it was magnificent.

Yeah theres a reason I've finished 4 different iterations of Skyrim. Hugely replayable and immersive game.

Having put a fair few hours into Elden Ring now I think it's closer to a Skyrim/Witcher3/Soulsborne hybrid rather than the reported BOTW/Soulsborne, although there's definitely some elements of that too.

• Like 1

Stormveil done. Boss there is no joke... Interestingly it seems like there's multiple approaches to the level. I feel like I 'finished' the area without seeing half of it.

Also beat the invader in the Roundtable. Who is the hardest fight I've come across so far.

• Like 2

Well after a weeks worth of play and around  50 hours invested this is definitely in the conversation for my favourite game of all time.

It's not flawless and there are a few things I would definitely change, but overall its not so much as up my street, but rather it's sitting next to me in my living room having a glass of wine.

• Like 1

I think it's really, really, really good, but I don't love it.

They've taken the things that were always great about these titles and polished and tuned them to a mirror shine. The combat, for instance, is superb. It was always good. But now it's great, with the poise system being used in a really cool way and giving you an alternative to parrying as a way to do big melee damage. I'm not a magic user but it looks like they've simplified (or at least de-obfusticated, for want of a better way of putting it) those systems, making it much more approachable as a way to play. And that's true of a few things, the way summoning works is cleaner than it was in Souls with the whole Human/Hollow thing. And giving you the option of what is essentially a summoning spell with no real stat requirement for tough areas is great.

I don't quite love it yet. I don't think it's narrative is up to much, yet, it's not very interesting. I don't like the whole 'grafting' thing as a concept, predominately because it makes a load of the major enemies into really low end body horror stuff, which feels a bit beneath From's standards for art design - it becomes a bit 'ooh it's a big bloke with 30 arms, this time *shrug*'. And that kinda extends to the world itself, there's been areas that are visually stunning but I've not really had anything yet that grabs me as 'iconic' or one of those areas that you come to love yet. Whereas Bloodborne for instance I could play for an hour and a year later I could write a paragraph describing it.

But there's the framework of something great here.

Oh and I go back and forth on how much this game makes me think of Depeche Mode.

I bought this game today after getting sucked into the hype. I'm pretty sure I made a huge mistake. As I entered the open world I decided to try and kill some random dude, and now I'm completely stuck and can't kill him. Every time I spawn he's pretty much trying to hit me. Spent about an hour trying to win this fight but I can't. It's my first fight too 😂

• Haha 1

Â