Elden Ring

Chindie

17 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I have personally found the game rather easy. I am about 8 hours in and I've died 9 times, but a friend of mine died like 67 times in the first 6 hours he played so it's going to depend on the player in the end. 

Yeah, I haven't died to regular mobs yet. Just bosses and mini boss mobs.

• Like 1

I'm yet to play it (roll on 5) but I would still stand by my 'reservation' that this looks like a mod for Dark Souls 3, or a (very ambitious) expansion for it. A lot of the fundamental gameplay loop and mechanics seem to just be very slight riffs on Dark Souls 3, and bolted to a post-BOTW style open world.

Which may not be a bad thing, after all DS3 played supremely well. But it still looks slightly like an iteration rather than a massive step forwards.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The BOTW comparison is pretty much because it's an open world game with more organic discovery elements instead of a thousand markers on a map.

Combat wise, It's still very much a Souls game at heart.

On that basis, I'm out!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The character creator in this is pretty good.

I at first made something that looked like Harry Maguire's clone that got pressed up against the test tube for a while.

Mine looks like he should be playing bass in Paradise Lost 😄

• Haha 2

Well I've put about 3hrs in, just wandering about really. 

Not sure about it yet.

It has a bit of that Skyrim style drop into the world and go do what you want, which means it feels a little aimless. I also feel like I'm not... 'finding' much. I've not found a weapon that is more useable/'better' than the stuff I started with, same with armour. I've found some summon ashes but can't use them.

I beat a boss in a dungeon, nearly beat another, and just found I feel really, really weak.

Also the ps5 frame rate is actually staying to annoy me. I'm not usually a frame rate person, unless it's broken bad, but this is just irritating. It's not really impacting gameplay at all, you just get a fair bit of judder in the open world at times. Which is a bit rubbish.

But it's very early days and I've barely got my eye in.

Some of the boss designs are superb.

Just fought an erm...aqua based boss which was nicely creative.

Also, my tip for a good all round early weapon is the Great Épée. Not difficult to find and a very solid quality build sword.

I would love these games to have an accessibility mode. I feel like I’m locked out of all of the soulsborne games by a massive barrier to entry. I’m not asking them to get rid of the challenge for those who want it, I just want a wimp mode added so I can enjoy the worlds they have created. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I would love these games to have an accessibility mode. I feel like I’m locked out of all of the soulsborne games by a massive barrier to entry. I’m not asking them to get rid of the challenge for those who want it, I just want a wimp mode added so I can enjoy the worlds they have created. 

Tbf there are a few ways to get OP fairly early in this.  That should take away some of the initial challenge until you get used to playing. 

39 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind but what I will say is that this is by far the most accessible Soulsborne game to date. The number of QoL additions (checkpoints next to boss fights etc) and the open world nature of the setting mean that even though the combat is still very much DS at its core, the gameplay loop differs quite a lot.

Personally I think that anyone who has more than a passing interest in video games owes it to themselves to give it a go.

I can't recommend it enough and I've barely scratched the surface after about 15 hours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M_Allback_14 said:

Can’t load the game or app - this about 5 hours after waiting for the download to complete 

what a mess this console has been 

I've had that twice, once on CoD and one I can't remember 

You have to delete it and download it all again 

There's a couple of reddit forums on it so it does seem fairly common 

Well put a couple more hours in this afternoon and done a bunch of exploring. And yeah I think I like it more now.

Discovered the kind of thing that brings some magic to a game

Spoiler

Come across a strange building in a forest. Investigate further. It's a lift. Get in lift. It goes down. And down. And down. And down... And when it finally stupid discover there's apparently a complete underground environment, like a true underworld to the game. Magical.

Also had a chest teleport me to what I can only assume is some endgame area. Didn't hang about though, but seemed to be

Spoiler

this game's take on Castle Lordran

Levelled up a fair bit, now using a Greatsword which seems to have the claymore move set, but quicker. Never used a Greatsword previously but this has worked for me so far. Still can't summon mind.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

NPCs or real players?

Anything. I've picked up some summon 'magic' items which I'm lead to believe give you an NPC summon like a skill move, but I can't use them.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Anything. I've picked up some summon 'magic' items which I'm lead to believe give you an NPC summon like a skill move, but I can't use them.

Strange.

I've been using the Furlcalling Finger Remedy to show any player summon signs (there's always a shit tonne) and I've been using the Jellyfish, Skeletal Militiaman and Wolf Ashes for support quite a few times. For the latter the white icon above the bottom left area of the screen has to be flashing.

Got royally **** over here 😅. Need to put some more time in later to see how I'm gonna get out of this mess.

Spoiler

Found some nice little ruins with a very easy to kill mob of zombies there. Opened the treasure chest and got transported to an area of absolute shithouse enemies. Got pretty much one shotted

Loving it though 

• Like 2

Well put a couple more hours in.

I've basically travelled all around the south of the map, and a fair bit of the east. I've upgraded my flask a few times - number of uses and amount recovered - and upgraded my weapon. I've also resolved the summoning issue, turns out I needed a particular item which I missed getting from an NPC that somehow I didn't come across. Thankfully you can buy it. I've beaten the Tree Sentinel, and a couple of other bosses in caves and dungeons. I've also met an NPC that may be interesting...

And then I decided to fight the first big boss. And I beat him, at the third attempt. That was... a pretty intense fight. Harder than a lot of From's opening bosses, but can be made a lot easier with the right tools.

Â