Elden Ring

Chindie

47 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Playing through a lot slower than the Souls vets on here.  Just took down Margit the Fell Omen after about 5 attempts.   It turned from this can f### off to woohoo this is great!!

Nice one! Always great when they finally topple 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:
  Hide contents

Nokron?

Indeed.

Edit

I might walk away from this for a bit. I've not enjoyed playing it in the last few days at all.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

Indeed.

Haven't been there yet, only the mini version  which is reachable via the Four Belfries.

In other news the Mountaintops of the Giants is kinda epic.

Out of interest what type of build do you guys go for initially? On my first playthrough of any have like this I tend to opt for melee / strength build. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Out of interest what type of build do you guys go for initially? On my first playthrough of any have like this I tend to opt for melee / strength build. 

Strength.

Two hand weapon with armour / talismans that give me plenty of poise.

Giant Dad variation basically 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

I usually go for a glass cannon dexterity build in every Soulslike, but this time I went sorcery which worked relatively well until late-game. Magic unfortunately doesn't scale too well in Elden Ring given most enemies have some form of magic resist, and that only gets worse as the enemies get tankier. 

I started pure sorcery, but now I'm more of a dexterity mage using a very powerful intelligence/dex scaling Katana. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Strength.

Two hand weapon with armour / talismans that give me plenty of poise.

Giant Dad variation basically 

I switched to a shield / sword combo and I'd collected a few talismans but forgot to actually do anything with them so thank you!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I usually go for a glass cannon dexterity build in every Soulslike, but this time I went sorcery which worked relatively well until late-game. Magic unfortunately doesn't scale too well in Elden Ring given most enemies have some form of magic resist, and that only gets worse as the enemies get tankier. 

I started pure sorcery, but now I'm more of a dexterity mage using a very powerful intelligence/dex scaling Katana. 

I've been tempted to try a magic build before but wondered how well I'd get on in later game areas.  I usually go for strength build but thinking about changing it up once I've completed my first playthrough.

• Like 1

With the addition of the whetstone knife and Ashes of War, there are an absolute tonne of different build variations you can go for.

I've played with some ridiculously OP magic users in Co-Op who seem to be able to one-shot bosses.

I'll definitely be going in a completely different direction with my next playthrough.

• Like 2

I've got my Colossal weapon (Dragon Greatclaw) up to +9 now and am rocking the full Radahn armour set so I'm in a good place build wise.

I'm going boss trophy hunting tonight so I can start whittling down the list.

• Like 1

I invariably end up going Dex/strength (which I believe is described as a 'quality' build in the community?). Katana and shield, with a bow for distanced and aggroing.

The problem with this is you'll be **** if you come up against anything that resists slash or bleed damage. As I found out when fighting a big stone thing last night.

I think the feature that sends your summon sign to various places is really well implemented. If I'm travelling about the map I just use that and get randomly sent to different boss battles. Nice touch.

On 08/03/2022 at 22:31, Chindie said:

Decided to do the place that the game tells you to go to after Radahn.

Another sucky boss.

Beat this ****. Had to respec and grind some souls to level up a weapon and a couple of attributes.

Discovered Miyazaki has played Symphony of the Night.

• Like 2

Think I've nearly finished my first playthrough. I've inadvertently gone past the point where you can get the three different endings (I read up after the fact) so the plan is now to finish the main story and then decide when to trigger NG+.

I may decide to respec before going to NG+ so it feels like an even fresher start.

I'm glad they have gone with giving the player control over when to move on. Never really liked the DS1 way where the last boss auto triggers NG+.

Oh and **** that word removed Fire Giant. **** him **** him **** him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In case anyone needs a quick ref guide for Soft/Hard stat caps (always find it useful) then here you go:

Vigor
First Soft Cap: Level 40 (HP gain decreases from 26 to 13 per level up)
Second Soft Cap: Level 60 (HP gained is 5 or 6 per level up)
Third Soft Cap: Level 90 (HP gained is 3 or 4 per level up)
Hard Cap: Level 99

Mind
First Soft Cap: Level 20 (FP gained per level up is 6)
Second Soft Cap: Level 50 (FP gained is 8 or 9 per level up)
Third Soft Cap: Level 55 (FP gain decreases from 7 to 4 per level up)
Fourth Cap: Level 60 (FP gained is 2 or 3 per level up)

Endurance
First Soft Cap: Level 12 (Get 1 and 2 Stamina alternatively each level up)
Second Soft Cap: Level 18 (Get 2 and 1 Stamina alternatively each level up)
Third Soft Cap: Level 32 (Get 1 and 2 Stamina alternatively each level up)
Fourth Cap: Level 50 (Get 1 Stamina per three-level up)

Strength
First Soft Cap: Level 20
Second Soft Cap: Level 80
Third Soft Cap: Level 90

Dexterity

Intelligence

Faith

Arcane

Looks like they have added quite a bit more leeway in comparison to usual Soulsborne stats. I'd capped out my str at 50 until I saw these. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â