Elden Ring

Chindie

It's Dark Souls 3 x Breath of the Wild. It should be incredible.

I will say it still often looks a bit... underwhelming, very much Dark Souls 3 with a few upgrades and some of it does look a bit clunky (their solution for having a horse traverse vertical stages is naff as all **** for instance), but on the whole, this is potentially an all timer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that the additional footage coming out of this this week does really emphasise how much this looks like an ambitious mod for Dark Souls 3 with a few graphical boosts.

It also doesn't seem to feel as completely cohesive a world, from the short segments we've seen, as they have done previously, somehow. There's something about a world with so many tombs and the like so close that feels a bit artificial.

I have 9-hours in the network test and I can't say I have noticed the world feeling artificial, or lacking in cohesiveness.

Yes, there are lot of caves, tombs and catacombs, but I don't see it as artificial. The network test is only 10-15% of the map and despite that coming across a cave still felt like a surprise. Maybe others found every boss, weapon, ash of war, item and armour set in the test within 3-hours, but I certainly didn't. Now of course I have fought and found everything at this point (as far as I'm aware), but the "content" wasn't so close together that I stumbled on a cave, only to stumble on another within 5 minutes, they are decently spread apart when you're new to the world and don't know where anything is. 

I do think the open-world will be divisive though because people have their own ideas of what an open world should be these days. That said I have personally enjoyed my time with Elden Ring, I think the pre-made classes for the test are fun although I have only played Warrior, Enchanted Knight and Prophet so far. 

Edited by Daweii
I had a look at the map people have pieced together from the gameplay trailer and updated my map percentage. My initial estimate of 5% was too low. I corrected this.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm purposefully not watching any videos / clips so I can go in as blind as I did with the other Soulsborne games.

I've booked the day off work for it's release so I'll be picking up the physical copy early that morning.

Safe to say I can't bloody wait!!!

• Like 2

97/100 on Metacritic based on 37 reviews of the PS5 version.

97/100 on Opencritic based on 95 reviews of all versions.

It is harder to get a high score on Opencritic as they lump all platforms in as one. The game has to be good and fully playable on all platforms or the aggregate score will be damaged by those other platforms. It keeps developers in check, if they want a high score they need to treat all platforms with respect which is good. A 97 on Opencritic makes it one of the greatest games ever made. 

I can't wait to dive in. I was sold 100% after the network test, I just want to throw hundreds of hours at the full game now. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

A Soulsborne Breath of the Wild seems to be the overall quick take from the reviews.

If its that it will be incredible.

It will be incredible.

Gamespot are going with death of the wild

Pisses me off that I just know it's not my thing 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Apparently the PC release is a bit of a shitshow which is the only thing letting the side down really.

There is a day one patch that went live earlier that From Software asked tech reviewers to wait for which likely fixes a lot of that stuff.

That said it's a standard FromSoft release. Even the PS5/Series X versions are massively inconsistent performance wise (at least without the patch). Hovering around 50-60FPS on PS5 in performance mode won't feel super smooth either. 

FromSoft have always struggled with the technical side of game development. They nail the lore, world, gameplay, atmosphere and audio, but they rarely get the performance right. 

Â