Elden Ring

Chindie

I think I only have a few bosses to go before I get to the end.

The last few areas have been punishing but well designed and enjoyable which bodes well for future playthroughs.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

I just finished Elden Ring.

My overall thoughts on the game are positive, but I do think FromSoftware will have a lot of lessons to learn from this game. 

Elden Ring is massive and on the one hand that is a huge selling point, especially in how it handles its exploration. This is a game that from the very beginning, until the very end makes exploration feel rewarding and exciting, but that does come at the expense of pacing. The expertly crafted experience in Bloodborne and past Souls games is largely missing here. Now, this game does have moments where it gets to feel like Dark Souls with the legacy dungeons, but ultimately Elden Ring does feel like it lacks the bespoke nature of past Soulsborne games. 

My other gripes with the game are mostly around the boss fights feeling lazy at times, while I also think the balancing of the game is a bit off. I don't know how much Vigor they expected players to have going into the Mountaintops of the Giants area, but going from Leyndell to Mountaintops causes the enemies to hit 10x harder. I literally went from enemies needing 5-6 hits to kill me at 60 Vigor to enemies needing 2 hits if that, and I don't think that changed for the rest of the game. The 50% point in the story is literally a reset point where every enemy pre-Morgott is a pussy bitch, and every enemy after Morgott is gigachad supreme. It feels off to me, it doesn't feel like that was the difficulty gradient they were going for. FromSoftware make challenging games, but they don't usually go for cliff face scaling where the difficulty just goes up in a vertical line between two areas.

Overall though I enjoyed Elden Ring. It's not my all-time favourite Soulsborne game, Bloodborne still holds that crown, but Elden Ring is a very good game in its own right. 

• Like 2

Bang on re. The boss scaling.

The last half a dozen or so are ridiculous compared to what's come before.

I've spent 5 hours today on Beast clergyman (Maliketh) and still feel a while off taking him down.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

@Daweii

Out of interest, what level did you end up at for the last boss?

Did you have many trophies left?

Are you intending to go to ng+ or just mopping up misc quests and areas?

Ta.

I believe I was around Level 135 when I entered the final boss arena.

I got 31 trophies by the end so I definitely missed some bosses that the game considers important enough to assign a trophy to. I'm not much of a trophy collector though so I'm not sure I'll get them all, unless I do it by accident through playing the game enough. 

Currently the plan is to see if I missed any areas, but after that I'll probably go into NG+ to do any side quests I permanently blocked myself off from in the first playthrough. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I believe I was around Level 135 when I entered the final boss arena.

I got 31 trophies by the end so I definitely missed some bosses that the game considers important enough to assign a trophy to. I'm not much of a trophy collector though so I'm not sure I'll get them all, unless I do it by accident through playing the game enough. 

Currently the plan is to see if I missed any areas, but after that I'll probably go into NG+ to do any side quests I permanently blocked myself off from in the first playthrough. 

Thanks.

The fact that you were lvl 135 makes me feel a little better (and underlevelled 😁)

• Like 2

I’m enjoying this game a lot so far, but I’m not sure I’m enjoying the character I’ve created. Gone for a strength build, but keep getting my head turned at the potential for a mage or bleed build. Luckily I’ve not had much time to get further than Godrick so still not too bothered if I start again.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m enjoying this game a lot so far, but I’m not sure I’m enjoying the character I’ve created. Gone for a strength build, but keep getting my head turned at the potential for a mage or bleed build. Luckily I’ve not had much time to get further than Godrick so still not too bothered if I start again.

You can reroll your char, although it's unlocked by a boss, and you need a consumable item to do it. Does mean you don't have to start a whole new game to do so, though. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I've spent 5 hours today on Beast clergyman (Maliketh) and still feel a while off taking him down.

Still not down 😒

Even the usually reliable community on R/BeyondtheFog haven't been able to help. From a few vids I have watched it does look like the fight is more biased towards Magic but there you go.

Edited by Designer1

Briarknight, Rykard, Lichdragon down. Briar Knight was piss easy. Rykard is 'one of those' bosses, not too hard. Lichdragon could be a complete bastard, but there's a way to make the fight pretty trivial.

I've basically blitzed through a couple of these areas,. I'm strong enough to blow some areas away and in those cases I'm just driving through without going full on exploring, which makes it feel like the game's pace is picking. But I'm aware that the end game areas are apparently ludicrously hard, so might have to go grind a few levels and clear some places.

22 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I can highly recommend getting the Mimic Ashes of War and levelling it to 10+.

Quite the game changer.

Extremely useful in a few fights. You can basically go double damage super effective and as it has unlimited FP...

I also have headless knight summon levelled up massively that is very useful. Tanky and has decent damage output including a ranged attack, which it very useful for using him as a distraction to heal or get some cheeky damage in.

• Like 1

Little tip which im sure some people are aware of.

If you hold the directional down button instead of just pressing it to cycle through your quick use items, it automatically selects your healing potions.

Useful for when you're in the middle of a fight.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Little tip which im sure some people are aware of.

If you hold the directional down button instead of just pressing it to cycle through your quick use items, it automatically selects your healing potions.

Useful for when you're in the middle of a fight.

This actually jumps to the first item in your quick use selection, so if, for some bizarre reason, you don't put your healing as the first thing in there, it'll jump to whatever is first in the list. Might be useful if there's fight where you want to jump to a specific consumable quickly, for instance.

This also works in Dark Souls 3 :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â