Elden Ring

Chindie

38 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I bought this game today after getting sucked into the hype. I'm pretty sure I made a huge mistake. As I entered the open world I decided to try and kill some random dude, and now I'm completely stuck and can't kill him. Every time I spawn he's pretty much trying to hit me. Spent about an hour trying to win this fight but I can't. It's my first fight too 😂

You didn't attack an NPC did you? 🙂

8 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I bought this game today after getting sucked into the hype. I'm pretty sure I made a huge mistake. As I entered the open world I decided to try and kill some random dude, and now I'm completely stuck and can't kill him. Every time I spawn he's pretty much trying to hit me. Spent about an hour trying to win this fight but I can't. It's my first fight too 😂

Yeah I don't think you're supposed to attack everyone you see....... some npc are quite useful.  Start again and take your time,  if need be watch a guide to get an idea of the structure of the game. 

VaatiVidya has put this video together today which literally is a step by step guide to make you as powerful as possible in the first couple of hours of playing, if anyone's struggling.

It's surprising how much leeway the game gives you to become overpowered very quickly.

• Like 1

@Chindie I'm glad Vaati made a video like that. I had already started plotting out my own path to making future playthroughs as fast as possible, but Vaati has completely nailed it as always.

My biggest concern throughout my playthrough has been, "this game is incredible, but I don't know if I'll be able to play it again". As much I love it, I don't want every playthrough to be this 80+ hour thing. 

Very happy to see this video exists.

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

@Chindie I'm glad Vaati made a video like that. I had already started plotting out my own path to making future playthroughs as fast as possible, but Vaati has completely nailed it as always.

My biggest concern throughout my playthrough has been, "this game is incredible, but I don't know if I'll be able to play it again". As much I love it, I don't want every playthrough to be this 80+ hour thing. 

Very happy to see this video exists.

Yes I completely agree about subsequent playthroughs. I will definitely go through it a few times more (I aim to get the Plat) but there's no way I'll be doing the same amount of run throughs as the other Soulsborne games. 

It's too much of a different beast for that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, picicata said:

Is it wrong that I'm just enjoying existing in Limgrave? I'm about level 30 and still happily exploring the opening area. At some point I will give Magrit a go but I doubt it'll be for a while yet!

Limgrave is super cozy. I can totally understand just existing there for as long as physically possible. It's a small area of the overall map, but it has so much content in it that it'll probably keep you busy for a while longer. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Radahn sssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkksssssss

That's where I'm stuck too.

Best I've done is get him down to 30% health and then got one hit.

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That's where I'm stuck too.

Best I've done is get him down to 30% health and then got one hit.

Managed to do it not long ago.

That fight isn't good IMO. I've struggled with bosses in this series before where I've been relieved to complete it, but in the aftermath can appreciate the challenge of it. This I just don't feel like it's a good fight. I've gone into it with loads of health good armour a decent levelled weapon, loads of estus and levelled to heal more, and still I'm getting clocked with a combo that kills me, or get your with a magic attack that one shots me, or perhaps worst of all, the meteor attack where it is basically luck whether you spot him fast enough to get away, or die.

Nah, not a good one IMO.

• Like 1

is this any good then?

I kinda considered trying it, but....and please dont take this the wrong way if you love it......but i thought it looked a little childish.....as in the huge, final fantasy type super massive unrealistic swords etc, and no real narrative/or story ark, other than a tagged on story where really ur just going around killing "bosses" with no real.....living game......

Am i wrong?

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

is this any good then?

I kinda considered trying it, but....and please dont take this the wrong way if you love it......but i thought it looked a little childish.....as in the huge, final fantasy type super massive unrealistic swords etc, and no real narrative/or story ark, other than a tagged on story where really ur just going around killing "bosses" with no real.....living game......

Am i wrong?

It's very good.

It's the opposite of childish. It has some tropes from various fantasy genres, particularly things like the manga/anime Berzerk with the potential to use massive swords and having a very dark take on the fantasy world.

It has a story, as do all the games in its lineage, and there are invariably loads of side stories and details there for you to find, but it doesn't expressly tell you what it's narrative is. You get the most basic details to begin with and off you go. You can then go as deep with the story as you like. In prior games you've been able to get details and hints towards to bigger things from the tiniest details, or been able to flesh out elements from little things in the environment or so on.

On the face of things it is a progression of bosses, but it's more complicated than that. There's a lot of things going on, systems, techniques, approaches to play (you don't have to use a big **** off sword - I don't - but equally you don't need to use a weapon at all, you can play as a mage with a whole different style of play and focusing on different aspects of gameplay. And you can even focus on different types of magic, if you want). 

It's the latest in a very unique series.. On its face it's simple, but it's really not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think my plan now is to hold fire with the main story bosses and take a good look at the trophy guide. I need to get a feel for which storylines / secondary bosses / areas I've missed out on so far and give some of them a visit before the final push.

Not sure if I'll Platinum using this character or roll a new one but either way another playthrough will definitely be on the cards.

• Like 1

Done a fair amount of prep work and now just started to get a proper feel for the game.  Took down the first dragon near the starting location,  and a couple of mini bosses.   Really enjoying it - another classic by From Software. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Is it a hard game?

I normally get through games on the normal difficulty level, but never exceed it. Is this one tougher than most?

I find that if a game is too hard I lose interest pretty quick.

It's difficult. You are punished harshly for making mistakes, enemies can kill you easily, even early on the weakest enemies if you make a mistake can kill you. And it intentionally doesn't tell you things, it's up to you to work out what they are.

In some ways this is easier than many of the series, the open world element means you can run away from situations in many cases. However you'll still have lots of moments where you are in a fixed location and then you simply have to overcome what's in front of you.

• Thanks 1

Haven't enjoyed this today. I really don't like Caelid, it's just an unpleasant region and has irritating bits everywhere. Might leave it as an endgame area and clear it up later. It's actively making me dislike playing the game.

Playing through a lot slower than the Souls vets on here.  Just took down Margit the Fell Omen after about 5 attempts.   It turned from this can f### off to woohoo this is great!!

• Like 2

Â