The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

For sure. Tbh - even by the market inflation. You expect a return of sorts for players upwards of £15m. Potter spent close to £200m regardless. They’ve spent building a squad like we have. People act like he found gems in the lower league for a fraction of the cost. Webster cost upwards of £20m too and yet it’s Mings who’s the regular England man.

He's not the one who spends the money or signs the players but yeah the club has spent about €150m since he became manager. And another €160m or so in the 2 season before he arrived.

Would Villas Boas be a shit suggestion? ( Don't crucify as I know nothing of his record outside PL ).

Just the obvious for the cool name, and the fact that, he provided Sansons best form?

Wasn't the selling of Sanson, the reason he actually left Marseille?

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would Villas Boas be a shit suggestion? ( Don't crucify as I know nothing of his record outside PL ).

Just the obvious for the cool name, and the fact that, he provided Sansons best form?

He is a bit of a bluffer in my view talks a good game but his teams are not creative , spends as much time rally driving than coaching these days

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Thought of him myself too, can’t remember if he was horrendous in the prem or not

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why don't we just appoint Sanson ? !!! Not as if he's gonna play for us ....!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

AVB actually not a bad shout IMO, has won trophies, managed in England before, and would have a point to prove. Very much a coach who can slot into a modern footballing setup.

However, he has never stayed anywhere for long - usually seems to fall out with the people above him, and entertains offers from other clubs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Am i the only one worried that we sack smith, then throw all our eggs into the basket of a top class manager who is unobtainable, falling flat on our arse in negotiations ala ESR/JWP, then end up with frank lampard

I thought these owners were the very best we could get? Seems a bit of a void to me they're being lauded to the high heaven for spending 100m + most summers....and yet we're going to appoint a totally hopeless manager in near future (and I certainly wouldn't class Lampard in that category).

There is more to good football ownership than spending xxx every transfer window, surely we learnt all that under Lerner and Xia. You also need to make good decisions when clubs hit a bit of turbulence as Leicester have generally shown even since their title win.

I'm looking forward to what they do next actually. Will say plenty for what we want to achieve in next five years. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Part of me has always wanted AVB for the name as well, his pedigree is good but it’s all too too easy to fall into the *insert foreign sexy named Portuguese coach* trap and would be apprehensive if he was in the mix. We don’t need to, nor should we change for change sake.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is a bit of a bluffer in my view talks a good game but his teams are not creative , spends as much time rally driving than coaching these days

Sampaoli done a better job at Marseille aswell. Indeed bar his disaster year at Argentina Sampaoli would be very exciting pick up for us as he did a cracking job in his one year at Sevilla. As close to appointing Bielsa without actually getting the man himself so sure you're a huge fan of him Zat.😉

• Like 1

I quite rate AVB, but it's concerning he's only ever once hit the two year mark in a job, he's not the man you want for a project, and that's the only way we'd be able to sell a position to a more higher tier manager, the "save us from relegation and stablise us in midtable" isn't going to lure in many managers accustomed to european competition.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Sampaoli done a better job at Marseille aswell. Indeed bar his disaster year at Argentina Sampaoli would be very exciting pick up for us as he did a cracking job in his one year at Sevilla. As close to appointing Bielsa without actually getting the man himself so sure you're a huge fan of him Zat.😉

Good manager much better than Bielsa but he has had about 6 jobs since leaving Chile

23 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

This will have been happening for a while I believe. I think Smith is done the question is just if they can get who they want from another club during the season.

I think that's the stage were at from what I understand.

We've approached a club and asked about their manager, but if they don't want to let him go there's not much we can do about it.

Easier said than done in these situations without looking like Newcastle.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If anything Smith has rarely got the credit for the job he has done. It was always Wilder, Bielsa, Frank and now Potter who gets the media attention. 

As for Wilder Premier League clubs rarely hire English managers, Howe is an exception

English or British?

English, I suppose there is not much to choose from unless you dig around the old boys club of your Allerdyce's and Bruce, Redknapps etc.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Good manager much better than Bielsa but he has had about 6 jobs since leaving Chile

Bet he's right at the top of names Leeds will try for once Bielsa buggers off.

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Smith will be another Wilder, a highly touted English manager who was over feted, had his time in the limelight & media train then is forgotten when the next great hype comes through. See Wilder appointment at Middlesbrough - tactically he was being hailed  as a maverick 2 years ago but someone’s whose name isn’t in the the mix for Prem jobs and goes back down to the championship to manage. 

Remember Nigel Adkins at Southampton? No nor me. 

4 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Did I read this correctly in terms of we are discussions with a club re their manager?

Edit: meant in response to @AvfcRigo82

If we are going to be disposing of Smith then I would like to think we may have approached a club about their manager if we are avoiding the 'out of a job' crowd.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If we are going to be disposing of Smith then I would like to think we may have approached a club about their manager if we are avoiding the 'out of a job' crowd.

Yeah gotcha, I know you get some inside info from time to time so didn't know if that was the case here 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

This will have been happening for a while I believe. I think Smith is done the question is just if they can get who they want from another club during the season.

Could the target be someone not currently in management?