The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Tbh, although i think Deano's time is up, im not actually convinced we are gonna sack him.

However, if we did, my options to consider would be:

• Lucian Favre - known to play an exciting style of football, and is renowned for developing and bringing through youth players.
  • Graham Potter - His style of football alone should interest most people on this forum, he is committed to a very possession based style of football, and although he has been a little hit and miss at Brighton, they do play attractive football, and tbh, to consistently keep Brighton in the PL is a decent achievement, his consistent commitment to a lovely style of play, is worth consideration by itself.
  • Paulo Fonseca - known for his attractive style of play, is also known for that style of play being quite open and conceding a few goals, good record with Roma, although nothing mind blowing.

Other available managers, or other managers to consider, who i personally wouldn't go for:

• Koeman - not sold on him (out of work)
  • Pirlo - didnt do much of anything at Juve (out of work)
  • Nuno - heck no. (out of work)
  • Valverde - not convinced. (out of work)
  • Lampard - no thanks. (out of work)
  • Gerrard - not sure if his Rangers success, is because he is good, or Scotland is Sunday league and two team dominated, could be one or the other, or both, but i think he's unproven. (Rangers)
  • De Boer - no thanks. (out of work)
  • Gattuso - no thanks (out of work)
  • Villas Boas - no thanks (out of work)
  • Eddie Howe - dunno, but he seems to like buying Liverpool youth rejects, or general Liverpool rejects, who are terrible, no thanks. (out of work)
  • Chris Wilder - ye, no thanks (out of work)

Honourable mention:

• Steve Bruce - :trollface:

This is depressing list, even your analysis on Potter and Fonseca should put them in the no list.  I would be more negative on Potter in my analysis than your analysis but doesn’t make much difference. 

I’m in the Smith stays column anyway but if i was like some on here looking at that list after thinking Smith should be sacked, I’d be having second thoughts and stick with Smith.

48 minutes ago, useless said:

Norwich fans, or some of them, seem to think that they wouldn't have sacked Farke in the manner that they have done unless they had someone lined up that made it all worthwhile, in other words unless they had a big name lined up.

I'd be shocked if a big name went to them considering the squad they have, resources available and the position they are in. 

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and that’s 35% on the internet, where overreaction is way out of control across all forms of life. I’m guessing the 35% is a lot higher in the real world with fans.  The internet tends to bring out the reactionary commentary.

Fans are incredibly disappointed at the moment which is understandable and the minority jump on forums wanting change or focus on minute details like time of training.

As for jumping on here to defend Smith, what’s the point.  I stopped a couple of weeks ago on here because it was the same discussion repeated.  

Am I concerned with current form? Of course, we are playing poorly , no confidence, making silly mistakes and I’m struggling at seeing where the next win is coming from but I’m sure it will and then we’ll probably go on a run of results.

Do I think Smith should be sacked? No not at all, I think he’ll turn it around.  I’m not going to restate my reasons which I’ve talked about before because some on here will agree and some won’t and I’ll just be repeating myself and I’m not interested in re debating it.

I think it's gone to far this time chap. I mean it's performances not the losses, an that's before you look at the  stats, cause they look miserable. 

if it goes any longer the fans will turn and we don't want that to happen. Just above the relegation zone is the ideal time, go below and you will struggle to find a decent manager who wants to take on a relegation candidate.

For what it's worth I think it's down to the change of coaches. They have obviously upset a few of the players and their methods are just not working, I just don't think we have much more time to give him, untill we are totally in the poo poo

• Like 1

I was just looking on the Norwich forum and there seems to be a lot of talk about Lampard, apparently a lot of money going on him on the betting sites. Whoever they appoint it's going to be one less option for us should we part ways with Smith.

52 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Some people see that football is more than just the stats. Each club has different players and funding which impacts the ceiling a manager can reach. Some people actually look at the football that managers get their teams to play and understand what this means to the development of a club. 

To be fair, the current " stats " show that they are 7 points above us in the Premier League and playing better football. As well as 9 places above us.

I'm not even sure ther is anything to troll about. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

People want Smith out ....none of them have a decent replacement in mind other than a bunch of chancers, failed managers who have fancy names or new managers that have no experience in management but seem like , nice blokes , strong leaders , or natural born winners.......

We have lost arguably the best player we have ever had and replaced him with two right wingers and a striker in,  a rush.

Let's have some faith and see if Smith can turn this around , it's gonna be a close call but he deserves the chance under the circumstances and taking the other options into consideration.

If we stay calm and give him and the team a chance we can pull through this. If we painic and throw it all in the air we risk starting a 5 year relegation promotion cycle with no guarantee of another pair of sugar daddies coming in to bail us out, like the last time.

For me it's Smith or bust so we may as well get behind him and the team and try and pull this around UTV and FG the fickle wnkr.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

People want Smith out ....none of them have a decent replacement in mind other than a bunch of chancers, failed managers who have fancy names or new managers that have no experience in management but seem like , nice blokes , strong leaders , or natural born winners.......

We have lost arguably the best player we have ever had and replaced him with two right wingers and a striker in,  a rush.

Let's have some faith and see if Smith can turn this around , it's gonna be a close call but he deserves the chance under the circumstances and taking the other options into consideration.

If we stay calm and give him and the team a chance we can pull through this. If we painic and throw it all in the air we risk starting a 5 year relegation promotion cycle with no guarantee of another pair of sugar daddies coming in to bail us out, like the last time.

For me it's Smith or bust so we may as well get behind him and the team and try and pull this around UTV and FG the fickle wnkr.

This isn’t our job. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

But it's also bizarre that in the same vein, you don't think something is wrong, when losing 1 player, whether it be Prime Lionel Messi, or Jack Grealish, can cause a whole team to disintegrate. After all the money spent, at minimum your players should be able to pass to their team mates. ( And yes, Messi was papering over cracks at Barcelona as well, if that is considered as a rebuttal )

Sorry, but the " Jack left " is a copout, a fall off, a staying still, years, most of us were accepting of, but not this 

I prefer other reasoning, but this Jack hand has now been well and truly overplayed.

Maybe Jack was just papering over how shite everything else was.

Similarly to how EMI Martinez not being at superman levels has exposed the midfield, defense, and the state of our overall play.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I think it's gone to far this time chap. I mean it's performances not the losses, an that's before you look at the  stats, cause they look miserable. 

if it goes any longer the fans will turn and we don't want that to happen. Just above the relegation zone is the ideal time, go below and you will struggle to find a decent manager who wants to take on a relegation candidate.

For what it's worth I think it's down to the change of coaches. They have obviously upset a few of the players and their methods are just not working, I just don't think we have much more time to give him, untill we are totally in the poo poo

I agree we are very poor.  It wouldn’t surprise me in this day and age if he did get sacked but I don’t think he will.  I think everybody is hurting of course, I don’t think it’s beyond pulling back because fans do have short memories and a couple of wins and the doom and gloom won’t be gone but will have dissipated apart from those who aren’t fans of Smith.  When you lose a number of games then performances do suffer but a win can change that confidence, form and attitude very quickly.  We’ve seen it this season with Spurs and and Arsenal…Spurs we’re top, Arsenal bottom…a month or so later, Nuno is sacked after 4 defeats in 6 and Arteta who was bottom on zero points is now a hero flying high. Brentford, the magical team and the manager lauded have now lost four on the bounce.  Not saying we will change and if we keep losing he will be sacked but I don’t think he’s there yet, I really don’t.

As for getting another manager in, jeez the list is awful as MaVilla put together that I just commented on in the ‘the manager situation’ thread. Not sure I would want any of those if Smith was sacked, I’m not sure the grass is always greener with somebody else.  That also may play a part in the senior management/owners thinking of who out there, that we can get, could improve the situation…if it’s that list they may stick with Smith anyway,

Just now, thejoker said:

Alan Nixon (The Sun) says we are interested in Denmark manager Kasper Hjulmand if we sack Smith. Would certainly be left-field. 

Done brilliantly with Denmark. Id be a bit nervous but I think he could be brilliant

I was thinking earlier it wouldn't surprise me if we went for a random Danish manger, because of the Lange, Leth, and McPhee links. Had a look at who's managed FC Midtjylland recently the most recent being Brian Priske, there's also Ståle Solbakken who has worked with Lange and Leth before at FC Copenhagen.

Not that Nixon is very reliable.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This isn’t our job. 

But if we can’t think of anybody, you know that Purslow and the Owners would be struggling as well. It’s not our job I agree but we as fans have so much data these days and we cant see anybody decent then it would have to be somebody completely left field and a complete risk and I’m not sure any of us want that do we.

1 hour ago, kidlewis said:

tastes very similar to previous situations and we could bounce manager after manager and be Lower mid table for a decade with half of these names

Lower to mid table is better than Championship football and that is the form we are showing after 11 games of the season

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Neither is sacking Dean.  I never get that line of argument tbh, it's been trotted out before with managers or signings.  It's not much to ask to put your opinions into context.

It’s also seems like you’d want to have an idea who you want to bring in if they wanted Smith sacked.  If your only options were the likes of Bruce and Farke, you’d look at your decision to sack Smith differently compared to if Klopp told our owners he’d like to take over at Villa.  Even as fans we look whose out there that could come in to replace Smith and from my point of view I’m not impressed with the options.

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Just out of interest what's our worst run where the manager has survived ?

I remember us going on an horrendous run under houllier ? 

It really depends on your definition of a bad run. Is it solely defeats? Is a run of straight defeats 5 defeats worse than a run of 3 defeats, then a draw, then another 3 defeats?

During 1998/99 Villa lost to Fulham in the Fa cup third round, they then lost three league matches, then drew 0-0, lost the next four and drew the next two before finally winning again.

I don’t know if that was the worst with no managerial sacking, I doubt it. But considering Villa had had their best ever start to a season (12 unbeaten, top of the league) to say the form dropped off is something of an understatement.