Energy Bills

Genie

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's exactly that, focus on what will win you the election not what is the best thing to do for a country in crisis

This applies to everything we’ve seen for years.

Brexit being the headline. Is it a good idea? Hell no. Is it a vote winner? Very much yes.

10 hours ago, Genie said:

This applies to everything we’ve seen for years.

Brexit being the headline. Is it a good idea? Hell no. Is it a vote winner? Very much yes.

Well Cameron offered the referendum to take votes back from Brexit party. He didn't think they would win election let alone get a Majority at the time. It wasn't while in Government making economic decisions which will clearly damage the future of the country with the key focus on 2024 elections. 

• Like 1

Wow....wow.

My direct debit actually reduces from October.

We've been paying £250pm since the last adjustment.

Whilst our estimated annual bills are due to rise by an estimated £788 annually, we get the £400 Government help so that's effectively only £388 extra.

My assumption is that we've used less energy over the summer than expected so our surplus is mounting up more than expected hence the reduction, or they were wrong to charge us £250pm over the last few months or something.

We are high users, way over the "typical" usage they talk about for a 3 bedroom house.  Our estimated annual cost on the new rates is £3,709.  I am however confident we will use far less energy this winter than last winter.  For a start off the thermostat dial has been turned right down and on/off times shortened.  We are as I type having new double glazing to the front of the house to replace some really antiquated broken down stuff.  I've replaced a load of bulbs to LED this summer.

Hopefully we get far closer to typical consumption than where we are now and those estimates don't come to pass.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I'm about £200 in credit with Scottish Power. Using about £60 a month based on last 2 months, DD is currently £89. I know I'll start using more energy soon, when I give the heating a blast, and rates are higher from October, but thats balanced off by £400 of credit/assistance. However,  Scottish Power have emailed me and said that my payments won't cover my future usage so its going up to £111 a month. 

Cheeky words removed. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

Scottish Power have emailed me and said that my payments won't cover my future usage so its going up to £111 a month. 

You may know this, but you don’t have to consent to that. If you contact them and decline and say what you posted above, they should be fine with it, though ultimately you’ll go into arrears and have to make it up in due course.

• Like 1

One good thing today that seems to have slipped through without much notice is planning laws for ONSHORE wind may be relaxed. 

This is the cheapest way to generate electricity, much cheaper than offshore so as long as they actually carry it through this will be a good thing. 

• Like 1

There seems to be a bit of an acceptance of £1.80 a litre for Diesel now it seems.

Supermarkets are definitely holding the prices up. Opposite of the old days.

Theres an independent garage near me that was always pricey, 8-10p a litre more than the supermarkets but it’s on a par these days.

On 22/09/2022 at 19:09, blandy said:

You may know this, but you don’t have to consent to that. If you contact them and decline and say what you posted above, they should be fine with it, though ultimately you’ll go into arrears and have to make it up in due course.

I'll go with it for a month or so and see how it goes. My usage historically has always ramped up in September, but i'm a lot more careful now. I'll monitor it and if i'm paying too much i'll amend around November time.

Just had the message to say my bills are going up, i was expecting to be paying over £700 a month, but got a nice surprise, they said;

"We've run the numbers, and based on your recent meter readings it looks like we need to increase your monthly payments from £356.52 to £413.04. We'll use this new amount for your next payment."

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the things that cheer you up thread or not... it's going to be non-stop party in the Bielesibub household, at least until they announce the increase to mortgage interest rates. 

• Like 2

Heating automatically came on early this morning and will probably come on this evening as well.   

What's the average daily cost for a house nowadays? We paid around £4 a day last December for gas heating and gas hot water, plus £2 a day for electricity. 

We are 4 people in a 4 bed house, so i think our usage is probably higher than the average.

Is it about double the rate from 1st Oct compared to last Dec? 

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Heating automatically came on early this morning and will probably come on this evening as well.   

What's the average daily cost for a house nowadays? We paid around £4 a day last December for gas heating and gas hot water, plus £2 a day for electricity. 

We are 4 people in a 4 bed house, so i think our usage is probably higher than the average.

Is it about double the rate from 1st Oct compared to last Dec? 

Dunno but ours came on for a while last night and was on this morning.  I've turned the dial down a couple of notches since last year.  It seems to only need an hour or so to trip the thermostat back to off so far though.  I'm hoping to see more of that as we've just had new double glazing to the front including 2 bays that must have leaked heat like a sieve last year.

I’ve been paying a lot over the last 6-8 months, and I’m expecting to pay a whole lot more even with the lesser increase. The Octopus predictor is still showing crazy numbers (£1100+ a month), albeit that was based on the 80% hike and not guaranteed to be accurate. 

However I’ve just logged in to see where I’m at with my latest payment, I’m £850 in credit and they’re going to reduce my monthly payments by £90. 

That’s great, but I’m still not confident it will be enough to cover the increase. Do I trust octopus to know what they’re doing here? Or should I keep paying the same higher amount?

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve been paying a lot over the last 6-8 months, and I’m expecting to pay a whole lot more even with the lesser increase. The Octopus predictor is still showing crazy numbers (£1100+ a month), albeit that was based on the 80% hike and not guaranteed to be accurate. 

However I’ve just logged in to see where I’m at with my latest payment, I’m £850 in credit and they’re going to reduce my monthly payments by £90. 

That’s great, but I’m still not confident it will be enough to cover the increase. Do I trust octopus to know what they’re doing here? Or should I keep paying the same higher amount?

£1,100 is crazy money.  We're heavy users, way over average but wouldn't have got close to that.  Something wrong with that predictor I think, or something seriously wrong with something within your house.

Edited by sidcow

Â