Energy Bills

Genie

1 minute ago, blandy said:

It’s not Murdoch’s. It’s owned by a Japanese co. I think

Ah - The people that said the output of their nuclear power stations was safe, and could even be consumed.

No prizes for guessing what happened when someone provided a politician an example, so they could show everyone just how safe it was to drink?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ah - The people that said the output of their nuclear power stations was safe, and could even be consumed.

No prizes for guessing what happened when someone provided a politician an example, so they could show everyone just how safe it was to drink?

I saw that 😂

• Like 1

Questions the Truss plan has yet to answer. How will we repay the debt or is it just added to the mountain we already owe and it will be funded by more cuts to public services. Interest rate repayments on the national debt are growing along side the size of the debt. 

Also the Energy companies, are we going to fix the cost of oil and gas price we buy? So energy suppliers buy gas at market rate and we have set our fixed price which keeps bills at the level stated, that is say at 60% of the current market rate. Do we rebate the energy suppliers for the difference and then tax the energy companies the same amount? or do they just sell it at the fix price we've agreed and thus we don't need to tax them for it. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I've not heard what happens in 2 years.  Are they just hoping that Putin is dead/overthrown? 

What's going to fundamentally change the market in the next 2 years so we're not just equally screwed in 2 years? 

Their pet nuclear projects will still be a speck on the horizon. What's the medium term plan? Lose the election and let someone else sort it out? 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What's the medium term plan? Lose the election and let someone else sort it out? 

Yep, that’s my suspicion. If the win it they’ll probably have a different leader by then so also, someone else’s problem.

There seems to be absolutely no talk about fast tracking projects to generate power in the next couple of years.

Edited by Genie

Im sure there must be some good reason.

But I thought by now that all new build houses would have needed to have solar panels installed, surely that would help.

I'm sure they could even find a good donor who runs a solar panel supplier 

6 minutes ago, phily85 said:

But I thought by now that all new build houses would have needed to have solar panels installed, surely that would help

There was a standard set, called “zero carbon” I think, for all new homes to be built to, where they’d be really low energy, well insulated…etc.

Cameron binned it in 2015 to “get rid of all the green crap”.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2022 at 07:58, sidcow said:

I keep going on about this channel but some of those points are raised on here but they also make the point that Britain has so many leading tech companies in this sector. It should be a no brainer. 

Maybe we need some senior Tories and families to buy some shares in some of our best renewable energy / tech firms. 

The rant from Robert Lewellyn on 6 minutes will strike a chord on here 😂😂😅

Thanks. It's  a good channel. Watched  from 6 minutes from the end.

The presenter made a point about us already having the technologies - and this is very much true.  New breakthroughs  help of course, and technologies are always being developed and maturing, but broadly, we have everything  we need. 

So when politicians (mostly Tory) make out that technology will ride to the rescue and dig us out of a hole, it's  a load of bollocks. 

The guy on the right (Dan? Don't  know him) also makes a very good point about the complexity  of retrofitting homes. Every home and household  is different, and requires a mix of technologies,  so integration is really important.  At the moment, sorting out your home energy efficiency is a bit like buying a car, only you buy the chassis from one place, engine from another, transmission from another etc, and then you have about 20 different choices for the steering. And then you are expected to organise along that, make the right choices and hope it all holds together to drive to work every day. 

Problem is, no suppliers are really taking on thos challenge. It's really fragmented and needs a lot of investment in innovation  and the commercial side of things.  Until then, a lot of people are stuck at "where do I start"

Yay, the Green Levy has been abolished meaning less money for renewables and insulation and more uncertainty for companies working in those areas.  That'll help the move away from fossil fuels.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

There seems to be absolutely no talk about fast tracking projects to generate power in the next couple of years.

Scrub that, shale gas is going to be flowing within 6 months… where there is local support. 

3 hours ago, phily85 said:

Im sure there must be some good reason.

But I thought by now that all new build houses would have needed to have solar panels installed, surely that would help.

I'm sure they could even find a good donor who runs a solar panel supplier 

On a technicality, for all houses to have solar panels, and those solar panels to pay for themselves in a decent timescale (a lower time period than their warranties lifespan), then all house roofs would have to point in the same direction, or be flat.

Nothing that can’t be worked out with a little thought. But there is an optimum direction for PV, and not all housing developments face the same way.

Alternatively, every housing estate could have a central combined heat and power unit, with PV, air source heat pumps and ground source heat pumps. Bigger better kit, sharing that power across the housing estate. Now that really would be good.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

On a technicality, for all houses to have solar panels, and those solar panels to pay for themselves in a decent timescale (a lower time period than their warranties lifespan), then all house roofs would have to point in the same direction, or be flat.

Nothing that can’t be worked out with a little thought. But there is an optimum direction for PV, and not all housing developments face the same way.

Alternatively, every housing estate could have a central combined heat and power unit, with PV, air source heat pumps and ground source heat pumps. Bigger better kit, sharing that power across the housing estate. Now that really would be good.

Not only that.  Our roof is perfect, South facing, slightly west, but it slopes inwards from the side, has a Chimney and an Apex above the bay window.   I was very pro getting Solar panels despite it ruining the look of the house, but the more I look at it the more I am not sure I will be able to fit more than 3 or 4 panels on which won't create huge amounts of power.

The side slope won't be much good either as its West, slightly North and the neighbours that side have had a loft extension with Gable that would block evening sun.

So despite being apparently perfect I don't think we can fit a really decent solar array.  I may wait for panels to get more efficient so 4 panels generate more power.   In 2 or 3 years when hybrid silicon and Perovskite solar panels hit the market there is going to be a massive uplift in efficiency.

I'm really hoping someone in the vicinity with the same roof takes the plunge so I can see how many they fit on. My thoughts are you really need 5 or more to make a decent array,

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm really hoping someone in the vicinity with the same roof takes the plunge so I can see how many they fit on. My thoughts are you really need 5 or more to make a decent array,

Or you could get a professional around to measure up.

20 minutes ago, limpid said:

Or you could get a professional around to measure up.

Yes, I know.  Not got to that stage of thinking/planning yet.  Still need Mrs Sidow to come round to it.

Â