Energy Bills

Genie

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I know its not ideal and it shouldnt be the case, but if it meant people were limited to only using x amount of gas/electricity a day or at certain points of the day they get a major discount then couldnt this be a option instead of people getting stupid increasses that no one can afford

There is talk about a new tariff being introduced with much cheaper electricity for everyone using it off peak.  These are quote common for people with electric cars and the like but they are taking about bringing it out for everyone automatically.  if they can even up the load it makes things easier for the utility companies to deal with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

How do you determine what X is for each household?

I guess the eneergy companies would look at yoir bills see your usage on days/hours and see if your more of a peak or off peak user. Similar to how mobile phone companies do with your data.  Ehen you choose a tariff they usually see how many minutes/ data you use up. They may come up witha  scheme like that but difference being your gas and electric 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is talk about a new tariff being introduced with much cheaper electricity for everyone using it off peak.  These are quote common for people with electric cars and the like but they are taking about bringing it out for everyone automatically.  if they can even up the load it makes things easier for the utility companies to deal with.

Yes this would be good for the current situation we are in along with some more help from the government (i wont hold my breath for that)

But if it meant people being affordable plans then its definitely a option

The trial with Octopus asked people to reduce consumption duyring 9am-11am and 16:30-18:30. The average customer reduced their bill by under 50 pence per day. It's deckchairs on the titanic stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The trial with Octopus asked people to reduce consumption duyring 9am-11am and 16:30-18:30. The average customer reduced their bill by under 50 pence per day. It's deckchairs on the titanic stuff.

That saves you like £15.50 a month. Not really great

Just now, Demitri_C said:

That saves you like £15.50 a month. Not really great

Funny thing is, a year ago, that'd have been a quarter of my bill. I'm scared to look at what it would be in a year's time. 3-4% maybe? 

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I guess the eneergy companies would look at yoir bills see your usage on days/hours and see if your more of a peak or off peak user. Similar to how mobile phone companies do with your data.  Ehen you choose a tariff they usually see how many minutes/ data you use up. They may come up witha  scheme like that but difference being your gas and electric 

How does that equate to the bedridden cancer victim who needs the heating on all day?

It would also disproportionately affect those working from home etc

EDIT: Also those that were generally wasteful in normal existence would get a greater benefit than those that were frugal in their consumption anyway.

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

How does that equate to the bedridden cancer victim who needs the heating on all day?

It would also disproportionately affect those working from home etc

EDIT: Also those that were generally wasteful in normal existence would get a greater benefit than those that were frugal in their consumption anyway.

Cant answer each case by case scenario there is many different kind of scenarios. 

Thats for the energy companies to decide how they would manage that kind of scenario 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Cant answer each case by case scenario there is many different kind of scenarios. 

Thats for the energy companies to decide how they would manage that kind of scenario 

No Dem, thats for the government to fix, not the energy companies. The energy companies cannot do anything without Government intervention, it is impossible for them to fix. The Government needs to lead on this, all the energy companies can do is what they are told to do by government

Octopus have offered various peak/off peak and even change by the hour tariffs for several years, IF you have a smart meter that can report back every 30 mins, its nothing new or groundbreaking (I used to be on a tariff that went into the minus when there was excess energy on the grid, excessive winds/storms usually the cause). The big 5/6 energy companies haven't really led the way on "smart" tariffs, instead happy to continue ripping off Joe Public for years.

Problem now is that there really isn't a off-peak period, its peak 24/7 due to the rates hitting the cap. Greg Jackson the CEO of Octopus keeps saying the wholesale energy market needs rebuilding from the ground up as its not fit for purpose. THAT does need a functioning government to sort. I don't see this current bunch of Donkeys doing anything about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's almost as though that pure free market dynamics are not suitable for utility services. 

Isn't that why we have regulators? Why aren't the regulators using their powers to force the utility companies to meet certain criteria?  

Have they been bought by the billions flowing through utility companies?

Who regulates the regulators?  A bit like VAR.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

So i was on holiday for a week.  Whilst i was away i used just over 4kw per day in electricity.  Is that normal?

On a normal day when i'm in the house, i use 15-21 kw of electricity per day.

A quick look online seems to suggest fridges use between 1.4kwh and 4kwh per day. 

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

So i was on holiday for a week.  Whilst i was away i used just over 4kw per day in electricity.  Is that normal?

On a normal day when i'm in the house, i use 15-21 kw of electricity per day.

Seems a little  high. But the 15-21 kWh of electricity per day seems huge  - what's that used on? Is your hot water and cooking (including  hob) electric?

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

Isn't that why we have regulators? Why aren't the regulators using their powers to force the utility companies to meet certain criteria?  

Have they been bought by the billions flowing through utility companies?

Who regulates the regulators?  A bit like VAR.

They’re terrified of having another situation where a bunch of these companies go out of business which would lead to them actually having to do work to help those customers, so they’ve decided the best thing they can do is let the energy companies rip off every UK household.

3 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Seems a little  high. But the 15-21 kWh of electricity per day seems huge  - what's that used on? Is your hot water and cooking (including  hob) electric?

Gas heating, gas hot water, gas cooking.

But i do work from home and there are 2 adults & 2 kids so maybe that makes a difference? 1 load of washing, 1 load of tumble dryer, 1 load of dishwasher per day.
Multiple kettles boiled for coffee, 5 tablets/laptops charging, 3 mobile phones, at least 1 TV on most of the day, lots of use of air-fryer, microwave, hairdryers, etc.

Edited by ender4

Â