Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

11 hours ago, brommy said:

I remember that like it was yesterday. I still can't believe one person involved in arranging the festivities at Villa Park that day thought it was a good idea, let alone it making through any planning meeting. Crazy.

Me too.

I knew the guy well, at the time,  He told me in the Aston Social after the game, he was under orders from HDE.....His red face lasted hours, poor soul.

He was told to do it, and when he told him/them it would go down like a lead balloon....He was reminded, he was being employed...do as your told.

Ps his pink suit, didn't help either.🤣

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Me too.

I knew the guy well, at the time,  He told me in the Aston Social after the game, he was under orders from HDE.....His red face lasted hours, poor soul.

He was told to do it, and when he told him/them it would go down like a lead balloon....He was reminded, he was being employed...do as your told.

Ps his pink suit, didn't help either.🤣

Poor bloke. I bet he replayed that unfortunate moment over and over again.

Amazing that HDE thought it was the right thing to do. What a Muppet.

• Like 1

I thought the atmosphere was decent in the last 15 mins as we started going for it and simplified our game, getting it out wide and crossing instead of trying to play through the middle which was congested most of the time, why we didnt start doing that earlier i dont know! Brentford kept it simple and direct and it worked for them, some very poor lapses of concentration and defending from us making it too easy though...I also googled the dave chance you'll never walk alone thing and realised ive seen that guy in the north stand a few times haha! Crazy how that got given the green light, but he seems like a character!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

You should have seen his face and our reaction, when he walked in to the lounge, pink suit and all.....we said "what was you thinking".....that's when he told us.

To be fair, Dave was a villa fan, so he knew what reaction from the crowd, was coming, but had hobsons choice.

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

wouldn't be the first time he cocked up, would it....bless him.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I thought the atmosphere was decent in the last 15 mins as we started going for it and simplified our game, getting it out wide and crossing instead of trying to play through the middle which was congested most of the time, why we didnt start doing that earlier i dont know! Brentford kept it simple and direct and it worked for them, some very poor lapses of concentration and defending from us making it too easy though...I also googled the dave chance you'll never walk alone thing and realised ive seen that guy in the north stand a few times haha! Crazy how that got given the green light, but he seems like a character!

Precisely.....I think its linked to how we play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Precisely.....I think its linked to how we play.

So do we just accept that as good enough then? I think herein lies the problem...

In my opinion, it's easy to vocally support the team when things are going well on pitch, I'd argue the team need boosting more (I strongly believe the crowd can boost the players) when things aren't.

I'm watching PSG v Barca and the PSG ultras just do not stop from minute one. They conceded and weren't playing well and it was irrelevant, they just carried on, and have no doubt helped drag their team up who have now turned it around and are winning 2-1.

• Like 1

I’ve said it before but I personally think we don’t get on the backs of the opposition enough. A bit of booing when they have possession, cheer and mock every error or misplaced pass, Cheer every Villa challenge etc.

We can give our players a lift but we can also impact the opposition. Ultras in Europe are great when they sing all game but it can sometime get too separated from what’s going on on the pitch, like a concerts going on next to a game. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve said it before but I personally think we don’t get on the backs of the opposition enough. A bit of booing when they have possession, cheer and mock every error or misplaced pass, Cheer every Villa challenge etc.

Agreed, hostility isn't a bad thing, this isn't tiddlywinks after all!

• Like 2

Final reminder from me - but supporters who already hold a season ticket or a Bournemouth match ticket and who wish to stand/sing/help with flags and banners for the Bournemouth game on Sunday 21st April 3pm KO in a rail seating area (block P9 Upper Doug Ellis) to hopefully have a very positive impact on the VP atmosphere - please email lee.preece@avfc.co.uk BEFORE 5PM TODAY THURSDAY 11TH APRIL preferably from the email account associated with your FAN ID with your name and FAN ID expressing your desire to be relocated as a one off to block P9 to join the 1897 Group for the Bournemouth game.

Hope to see as many VT'ers there as possible, all welcome!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wedge said:

So do we just accept that as good enough then? I think herein lies the problem...

In my opinion, it's easy to vocally support the team when things are going well on pitch, I'd argue the team need boosting more (I strongly believe the crowd can boost the players) when things aren't.

I'm watching PSG v Barca and the PSG ultras just do not stop from minute one. They conceded and weren't playing well and it was irrelevant, they just carried on, and have no doubt helped drag their team up who have now turned it around and are winning 2-1.

I don't know if we have ever, been like that....are they like that all the time, or just playing Barcelona?

Newcastle fans do seem to be noisy, but they do play with high intensity too.

I think how a team plays, has a lot to do with it......Arsenal fans do see to have found their voice too, and Liverpool have always been high intensity traditionally.

I am not sure props will work....I think it has to be natural....but hey ho, just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, wedge said:

Agreed, hostility isn't a bad thing, this isn't tiddlywinks after all!

It's a fine line for me. I'll boo opposition players and incorrect decisions by the ref, but I don't join in with personal or overly offensive insults. Kind of like booing the villain at a pantomime is acceptable but shouting the actor is a clearing in the woods, isn't.

15 hours ago, wedge said:

I find the English atmosphere to be reactive and when your team is playing well its great but the rest is poor. The famous Anfield "atmosphere" isnt there for Palace 3pm on a Saturday

Fans abroad cheer more for the team until the end win or lose and usually engage with each other at the end. Contrast the silence if we concede a goal followed by grumbling

English stadiums are all about the spur-of-the-moment vibe, with fans reacting on the fly to what's happening on the field. Chants can pop up out of nowhere, adding some laughs or cleverness to the mix. But, when things aren't going well for the team, that energy can die down. It's always been like that.

Meanwhile, over in European football and Ultras culture, it's more like a well-oiled machine. They plan everything way in advance — chants, tifos, pyro etc. They've got Capos keeping the chants going for the full 90 minutes.

Basically, it's like comparing a spontaneous jam session to a fully rehearsed gig. There's something to appreciate about both styles. In English stadiums, that silence after a mistake can really hit the players hard. But in places like Serbia, Germany, Poland, Turkey etc. the fans keep the chants going no matter what, which can really boost the team's morale. 

We don't need to completely alter our fan culture or mirror European ultras, but there are certainly insights we can draw from their practices.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

When you watch the Inter Milan game back you are struck by how hostile we were. The constant booing of Bergkamp etc.

Great atmosphere and yes it was hostile too back in the 90s

Â