Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

On 01/10/2023 at 14:03, sne said:

As a comparison

Now that's what you call an atmosphere and something Villa Park could only dream of being!

I don't buy the excuses by some of " depends the opponent" b****ks. It shouldn't matter who the opponent is or what competition it's in, it should be a lions den and intimidating for teams to play there.

Ssdly, Season by season we appear to be turning into Old Trafford. I'm not sure if it's to do with more corporate/hospitality infrastructure being introduced in the stadium or that our fans are just not what we used to be anymore.

The game on Saturday, the atmosphere was largely dull. The game last night, the atmosphere was dull.

It won't remain much of a fortress when the stadium is largely quiet as a cemetery during most parts of games.

All imo of course.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Are you on about terrace view? The advert for the holte suite got boo’d on Saturday, funny as one off. But why should we boo it? That hardly helps the atmosphere, they are still Villa fans.

Yeah terrace view. I’m not saying to boo it, just something I observed from hearing it last time to nothing this time. It’s counter productive to boo it imo, it’s happening anyway so what’s the point 

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Yeah I was in my usual seat in the upper holte last night and can confirm TV and LG  adverts were resoundly booed and jeered.

Mental in the Holte when SJM scored. Night match at VP and a last minute winner - one of lifes truely wonderful unforgettable moments !

Made the 2 hr journey home to Newmarket much easier than it would have been if it had been 0 - 0, or 0 - 1.........

Credit to the opposition and their fans.

Did someone post something before the game that their keeper was their weak link? thought he played well to be honest.

I wouldn't credit their fans, given what I've seen of them waving nazi salutes last night and apparently singing neo nazi chants.

• Like 2

I was in the upper Doug Ellis, in P3. The atmosphere died in the first half after the first 10 mins or so, but I think that was reflective of how flat the game was. To be fair to Mostar, I think the executed their game plan perfectly - they stood off and let us try and break them down, but our movement off the ball was pretty much non-existent so it made for a pretty dull affair. Second half was much better from where I was sitting. We woke up after we made the changes and it definitely gave the crowd a big lift. 

It'd be brilliant if we could keep the intensity in the stands even when the game's gone flat, as you see with the European teams. As other posters have said, it seems to just be a thing in English football generally, not just a Villa thing. 

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

It'd be brilliant if we could keep the intensity in the stands even when the game's gone flat, as you see with the European teams. As other posters have said, it seems to just be a thing in English football generally, not just a Villa thing. 

Over just the last few weeks, I’ve seen Villa fans praise Hibs fans, Legia fans and Zrinjski fans, many wishing we could get that kind of atmosphere going at VP. 

Yet whenever people try to introduce anything resembling continental ultras culture to England, they are invariably ridiculed, harassed and threatened by fellow fans. There is little to no understanding of the ultras culture, both among the average fan and certainly among clubs. 

I do wish Brigada 1874 had been allowed to flourish and grow. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Over just the last few weeks, I’ve seen Villa fans praise Hibs fans, Legia fans and Zrinjski fans, many wishing we could get that kind of atmosphere going at VP. 

Yet whenever people try to introduce anything resembling continental ultras culture to England, they are invariably ridiculed, harassed and threatened by fellow fans. There is little to no understanding of the ultras culture, both among the average fan and certainly among clubs. 

I do wish Brigada 1874 had been allowed to flourish and grow. 

how has this happened? do you have examples?

i work with a palace fan who wasn't happy that their ultras got tickets for the fa cup final before all other fans and were allowed first pick of which section they sat. that's a valid grievance IMO that just because you make a bit of noise that you're somehow given more rights than other fans

i guess each to his own, but the atmosphere doesn't bother me. i'm in the upper holte and when songs start i of course join in, but i don't sit there grumbling when it's not. you'd have never thought we were beating a good side 6-1 last saturday based on the atmosphere but who cares? it was brilliant

we don't understand the ultras culture because we don't want to. it looks cool yes, and it's fun to go to stadiums and see/hear something a bit different rather than original terrace bangers such as "chelsea, chelsea, chelsea" but in practice, it's not for us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

how has this happened? do you have examples?

i work with a palace fan who wasn't happy that their ultras got tickets for the fa cup final before all other fans and were allowed first pick of which section they sat. that's a valid grievance IMO that just because you make a bit of noise that you're somehow given more rights than other fans

i guess each to his own, but the atmosphere doesn't bother me. i'm in the upper holte and when songs start i of course join in, but i don't sit there grumbling when it's not. you'd have never thought we were beating a good side 6-1 last saturday based on the atmosphere but who cares? it was brilliant

we don't understand the ultras culture because we don't want to. it looks cool yes, and it's fun to go to stadiums and see/hear something a bit different rather than original terrace bangers such as "chelsea, chelsea, chelsea" but in practice, it's not for us.

Brigada were forced out, and Project B6 routinely receive threats. 

If it’s for you or not is up to you, obviously, but I find it slightly odd to see people praising visiting ultras one minute and then actively resisting ultras culture at home the next. And saying it’s ‘not for us’ is almost a bit arrogant, isn’t it? Like, the English football going public isn’t one homogeneous static size. 

I also think it’s completely fair to give your more active fans ticketing privileges, but that’s another debate entirely. 

Edited by El Zen

8 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Brigada were forced out, and Project B6 routinely receive threats. 

If it’s for you or not is up to you, obviously, but I find it slightly odd to see people praising visiting ultras one minute and then actively resisting ultras culture at home the next. And saying it’s ‘not for us’ is almost a bit arrogant, isn’t it? Like, the English football going public isn’t one homogeneous static size. 

I also think it’s completely fair to give your more active fans ticketing privileges, but that’s another debate entirely. 

what threats though? and from whom?

it wasn't intended to come across as arrogant, more that the only PL side to successfully create an ultras group is palace and even that's nothing compared with european ones so it just goes to show that the appetite isn't there

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

what threats though? and from whom?

it wasn't intended to come across as arrogant, more that the only PL side to successfully create an ultras group is palace and even that's nothing compared with european ones so it just goes to show that the appetite isn't there

Threats of violence, on twitter. 

And even if ultras culture hasn’t been established in England yet, doesn’t mean it can’t be if clubs and fellow fans are open to it. Look to Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Scotland and how far the culture has developed in just the last few years. The imrpovement is incredible. 

20 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Threats of violence, on twitter. 

And even if ultras culture hasn’t been established in England yet, doesn’t mean it can’t be if clubs and fellow fans are open to it. Look to Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Scotland and how far the culture has developed in just the last few years. The imrpovement is incredible. 

and that's the point i'm making. i don't think clubs and fans are open to it.

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I'm a fan of an ultras culture, and I am open to varied support.

But the football audience in England is a reflection of society. It's a very mixed bag. Old, young, small, big, all thrown together in a stadium. Which is great. 

But it doesn't always translate to vocal support. Wembley is the same. Just a melting pot of society. 

However the European ultras culture is mainly guys who are happy to jump up and down for 90mins.

The best solution is to advertise a section of the lower holte as a 'Supoorters' section. The club could work with them to create flags, banners. Get something going for 90mins non stop, and I guarantee many would join in. All you need is 2-3 thousand people who want a bit more from the experience. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jbvilla909 said:

I wouldn't credit their fans, given what I've seen of them waving nazi salutes last night and apparently singing neo nazi chants.

I was too far away to hear them and even with my glasses on I couldn't see what they were doing 😉

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Neither were my club in Norway and the majority of our fans ten years ago. Things change. I wasn’t much of a fan either, to be honest, and lo and behold now I’m an active ultra.

48 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm a fan of an ultras culture, and I am open to varied support.

But the football audience in England is a reflection of society. It's a very mixed bag. Old, young, small, big, all thrown together in a stadium. Which is great. 

But it doesn't always translate to vocal support. Wembley is the same. Just a melting pot of society. 

However the European ultras culture is mainly guys who are happy to jump up and down for 90mins.

The best solution is to advertise a section of the lower holte as a 'Supoorters' section. The club could work with them to create flags, banners. Get something going for 90mins non stop, and I guarantee many would join in. All you need is 2-3 thousand people who want a bit more from the experience. 

Zackly this. 

I was thinking last night from the perspective of an Eastern European fanbase in the away end, it must look pretty pathetic an English football team atmosphere/match experience. They chant constantly and have that really close relationship with their players. They basically talked to and chanted at eachother, their fans and team, for about 10 mins after the game.

We score a last minute winner, a few chants of "who are you" and the stadiums completely empty about 7 minutes later. 

And that's not a Villa criticism, that's just English football, it's so different culturally. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I was thinking last night from the perspective of an Eastern European fanbase in the away end, it must look pretty pathetic an English football team atmosphere/match experience. They chant constantly and have that really close relationship with their players. They basically talked to and chanted at eachother, their fans and team, for about 10 mins after the game.

We score a last minute winner, a few chants of "who are you" and the stadiums completely empty about 7 minutes later. 

And that's not a Villa criticism, that's just English football, it's so different culturally. 

I wonder what the players think too?  Players that have played in front of  mental crowds in South America, Germany, Eastern Europe etc.

Obviously the pull of the Prem trumps all but they must think it's a bit lame at times.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I wonder what the players think too?  Players that have played in front of  mental crowds in South America, Germany, Eastern Europe etc.

Obviously the pull of the Prem trumps all but they must think it's a bit lame at times.

It's increasingly more expensive to attend games at a time when people have less money to spend so it's a changing demographic of fan. 

I think they probably think it's a bit tame. But like you say, the money and the quality/prestige of the league is the big pull.

• Like 1

I think an ultra style or singing section would be a good shout that way people can choose to buy their season ticket there or game ticket and get stuck in.

The Scot’s are British and they have some amazing ultra groups / general mint atmospheres and they certainly ent “continental” 

Would love the club to encourage it. One small singing section of the lower / upper Holte would in no doubt help the rest of the ground get going

• Like 2

It's all about the booze.  Pre-match pint or three and everyone is fired up for kick-off.  Then the buzz wears off about 15-20 minutes in unless we get an early goal.  Half-time pint gets everyone going again except those who stood in a queue for the entire break to go to the bog, and they are thoroughly p**ed off and blame Leon Bailey..

😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â