Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

I sit Trinity Lower, bloke near us just rages for every minute of every game. At the Villa players, at the opposition players, at the officials, at Roy Hodgson today. Nothing racist, homophobic etc just constant negativity, very loud constant anger. Does it even when we play well. He sits close to the pitch as well, players must be able to hear him screaming at them. I know some people say it’s better to have fans like that than those who don’t make much noise but it’s hard work sitting near him never mind playing in front of him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I sit Trinity Lower, bloke near us just rages for every minute of every game. At the Villa players, at the opposition players, at the officials, at Roy Hodgson today. Nothing racist, homophobic etc just constant negativity, very loud constant anger. Does it even when we play well. He sits close to the pitch as well, players must be able to hear him screaming at them. I know some people say it’s better to have fans like that than those who don’t make much noise but it’s hard work sitting near him never mind playing in front of him. 

Literally hate going to football games because of this, and it’s REALLY bad at VP. Hard to enjoy the game or want to get involved when someone coked out of their mind is screaming and purple in the face for 90 mins 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Literally hate going to football games because of this, and it’s REALLY bad at VP. Hard to enjoy the game or want to get involved when someone coked out of their mind is screaming and purple in the face for 90 mins 

Think it’s more personality than coke with him.  But, yeah, not fun sitting near him and I love noisy football matches, don’t mind swearing particularly, expect emotion but jeez the rage all the time, too much. There was an elderly lady who used to sit behind me on the Holte in the 90s who was a bit like it too. Definitely wasn’t coke with her. Funnily enough the people who go with the ragey types are pretty quiet. 

17 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

The fans are never held to account. Whereas the players are abused weekly depending on which ones are in the bad books.

No singing after like 10 mins today. It's embarrassing.

And how exactly would they be held to account?

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

We had one behind us yesterday, it was totally silent then he starts screaming "Mings you c****, every f'ing week, f*** off" 

Mings was about ten yards away... 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Think it’s more personality than coke with him.  But, yeah, not fun sitting near him and I love noisy football matches, don’t mind swearing particularly, expect emotion but jeez the rage all the time, too much. There was an elderly lady who used to sit behind me on the Holte in the 90s who was a bit like it too. Definitely wasn’t coke with her. Funnily enough the people who go with the ragey types are pretty quiet. 

Probably because they know how unhinged the individual screaming is and they're embarrassed enough already.

I'd find it very hard to bite my tongue tbh in that situation and I hope the next time I make the pilgrimage to VP I don't get stuck near some absolute Representative for Wellingborough.

I've got to say, I've noticed a lack of atmosphere for a while now. I spent a few years away from Villa Park, started going back when we were in the Championship and my lad started showing an interest. I couldn't believe how much quieter it seems(or am I going deaf as I get older?😁) and its getting worse. The number of different songs has dwindled, and there's not as many songs aimed at individual players as there used to be. 

I find it hard to believe that the odd rendition of 'Holte Enders in the Sky' is going to inspire a group of young lads, most of whom have no sentimental attachment to the club. And I'm sorry (tin hat on), but I cringe every time I hear that bloody Allez song, especially as it usually fizzles out into a damp squib. The loudest noise you hear now is the groans and moans when we pass the ball sideways or backwards too many times for some people's liking.

Yesterday was SO quiet. I know there wasn't much to cheer about, but it was quiet from the start. 

Best I've heard us in recent times was the semi final against Leicester, and the play off semis. 

Our forum is discussing exactly the same issues of certain fans shouting abuse at players who are out of favour. It, unfortunately, is part of the modern game ( especially in all seater stadia) with the crowd only really getting loud when something on the pitch gets everyone out of their seats or the team are playing really well and the stadium gets going with singing and chanting. If things aren't going so well then everybody sits back in their seats, starts to look at their phones and these abusive fans can be heard. Most of it is frustration with their side ( as all fans will feel) but this is no excuse for ranting especially when the player is close by as Mings was yesterday.

Bad news if they have a  Season Ticket next to you.☹️

Perhaps safe standing will bring back a strong core of vocal song and support which can get the atmosphere raised a notch or two throughout the game and drown a few of these clowns out. Certainly works at Celtic Park.......mind you they are usually winning😂

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

This really pisses me off because I’m finding it so hard to get tickets these days (it wasn’t even this hard when we were flying High in 6th place every year) and yet people like this get to go every week. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

This really pisses me off because I’m finding it so hard to get tickets these days (it wasn’t even this hard when we were flying High in 6th place every year) and yet people like this get to go every week. 

Can I ask, do you have a membership? I set a reminder for when they go on sale and can honestly say we never struggle, usually get the same two seats most games

3 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Can I ask, do you have a membership? I set a reminder for when they go on sale and can honestly say we never struggle, usually get the same two seats most games

Not got a membership sadly - always try at 5pm when they go on sale but they always seem to be sold out by the time I get to the tickets. I got lucky for the Brentford game but every since then they either don’t get to general or sell out super quick. Only games that stayed on sale for a while were games I couldn’t get to :( but I shall keep trying! Why is it so hard to get a ticket these days? Has there been an increase in season tickets and memberships? 

2 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Not got a membership sadly - always try at 5pm when they go on sale but they always seem to be sold out by the time I get to the tickets. I got lucky for the Brentford game but every since then they either don’t get to general or sell out super quick. Only games that stayed on sale for a while were games I couldn’t get to :( but I shall keep trying! Why is it so hard to get a ticket these days? Has there been an increase in season tickets and memberships? 

Yeah, my brother bought a membership too and he's managed to get quite a few tickets. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, my brother bought a membership too and he's managed to get quite a few tickets. 

To be fair, I didn’t think it was down to a huge surge in memberships. It’s mad how demand is so high these days but not even this high when we were playing under MON! I could get tickets lift right and centre back then and we were doing much better!

2 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

To be fair, I didn’t think it was down to a huge surge in memberships. It’s mad how demand is so high these days but not even this high when we were playing under MON! I could get tickets lift right and centre back then and we were doing much better!

I think football in general has just taken off since then. Maybe generation FIFA have boosted interest. 

I cannot believe people are slagging fans or trying to justify footballers poor form with verbal they must hear. The football is poor, they are getting paid huge sums of money to do a job most are not doing. They need to try harder. When you are actually at the game, you can see the players not fighting for the cause, you can see Watkins not chasing the ball, McGinn not making runs and even dare I say Coutinio just standing still after a pass. This does not make for a great atmosphere at a big football stadium like VP. You watch and think, "what the hell are these boys doing? It was embarrassing to walk away from VP yesterday, an that was down to the players yet again not putting in the graft. Fans are getting bored of it, we have capable players, there is no excuse not to see a performance that gets bums off seats and singing at the top of our voices.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Yeah I think it's the amount of season ticket holders we've got, I'd imagine if they all take up their seats it only leaves a few thousand. Then members have priority after that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I cannot believe people are slagging fans or trying to justify footballers poor form with verbal they must hear. The football is poor, they are getting paid huge sums of money to do a job most are not doing. They need to try harder. When you are actually at the game, you can see the players not fighting for the cause, you can see Watkins not chasing the ball, McGinn not making runs and even dare I say Coutinio just standing still after a pass. This does not make for a great atmosphere at a big football stadium like VP. You watch and think, "what the hell are these boys doing? It was embarrassing to walk away from VP yesterday, an that was down to the players yet again not putting in the graft. Fans are getting bored of it, we have capable players, there is no excuse not to see a performance that gets bums off seats and singing at the top of our voices.

People not giving or appearing not to give 100% really annoys me. Mistakes or missed passes can be forgiven but blatant lack of effort is unforgivable.

I've been to a few different areas of the ground over the years and my favourite will always be K4 at the back, that's where my season ticket was. In recent visits I've noticed a distinct lack of interest, there's plenty of familiar faces but also lots of new ones. The abuse tends to come from the new ones

Anyone who watches football, an watches Wolves, Brighton, Southampton, with us having arguably better players, there is no wonder half the fan base are p***** off at what they see every weekend at VP.

The results against Brentford, Leeds, Newcastle were atrocious, lost by players not playing to the best of there ability, an it continued with Watford yesterday. We have billionaire owners spending big money, sometimes it's left to the players to perform once a week in front of the fans that pay big money to see them. The play at the moment is inept, us fans are not stupid, we are seeing players not performing past 50%.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

Â