Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

He's improved in a role as a sub to freshen things up and cause trouble for the opponents' backline.

The revisionism is a little hard to swallow though. Next time he starts a game and struggles, it'll be back to "Leon's shit".

As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Like 2

Just now, est1874 said:

He's improved in a role as a sub to freshen things up and cause trouble for the opponents' backline.

The revisionism is a little hard to swallow though. Next time he starts a game and struggles, it'll be back to "Leon's shit".

It’s not. He’s usually good at home from the bench and shit whenever he starts home/away.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Wingers are traditionally moments players, because it is harder to create, than negate.

Its hard for a wide player to be "At it" for 90 odd minutes like a central midfielder.....maybe us as spectators need to adjust our expectations, and appraise the players accordingly with their role.

Flair players need a contrasting appraisal to a more Agricultural type of player, who invariably is involved more.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s not. He’s usually good at home from the bench and shit whenever he starts home/away.

I'd say he's always been decent at home,  whether starting or from the bench. And yes, coming off the bench against tired opposition he's looked better still than when he starts.

Whereas away from home he's always been poor whether starting or off the bench (Hibs match probably the only exception in his time here).

It does at least seem as though Emery has worked out a way to get the best out of him. His goal contributions per minute ratio is sky high and long may it continue.  If he keeps playing roughly half our minutes and scoring/assisting the rate he is ill be ecstatic.

The rotation option he provides to keep our other options fit, is working wonders for us at the moment,  and the quality doesn't seem to suffer when he's being used the way he is. 

If he gets some confidence from it, and it means he can play more, wouldn't that be wonderful.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

No offense but I really find it hard to take anything you say seriously given the amount of times you've expressed the view that Emi Buendia is a shit footballer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

No offense but I really find it hard to take anything you say seriously given the amount of times you've expressed the view that Emi Buendia is a shit footballer.

Buendia isn’t good enough for us. If I’ve called him ‘shit’, I’ve not meant it, but he isn’t very good. 

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

This is pretty much where I sit, I honestly do not think he is a starter - far from this in fact.

His goal on Sunday was a terrific one and all credit for this, and as others have said - I too think his best role is coming off the bench at home.

I’m not a huge fan tbh - however if he can continue to contribute in this manner, this has got to be a good thing all round for everyone. 

4 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

This is pretty much where I sit, I honestly do not think he is a starter - far from this in fact.

His goal on Sunday was a terrific one and all credit for this, and as others have said - I too think his best role is coming off the bench at home.

I’m not a huge fan tbh - however if he can continue to contribute in this manner, this has got to be a good thing all round for everyone. 

Having him as a squad player is very handy. I remember Man U in their prime late 1999 having a couple of super sub strikers and a winger too. Solskjaar, Sheringham, and Blomqvist. The value of impact subs cannot be understated.

I think Buendia is a player that has major weaknesses in his game, but he also has a niche that we can exploit to good effect in certain games.

If Bailey and Buendia can find a role they can play to contribute to the team then great. As quite frankly they aren't worth what we paid for them right now, and the squad needs the depth they add.

3 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I’d like to see Bailey starting against Luton, let’s get into them from the off!

I agree, he probably deserves it based on his current form which I'm glad to see.

No doubt about it though Bailey has struggled to find consistency, he does seem to prefer the home games.

Against AZ Alkmaar I think Villa should field the same line-up we saw against Wet Spam.

Â