Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

As I’ve stated on numerous occasions previously Emery clearly sees something in him , Traore  despite his vital contributions couldn’t get a sniff while Bailey was out injured and Bailey was straight back in the starting 11 post injury.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

As I’ve stated on numerous occasions previously Emery clearly sees something in him , Traore  despite his vital contributions couldn’t get a sniff while Bailey was out injured and Bailey was straight back in the starting 11 post injury.

I think it's called making do with what you've got.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Id give him one more season 

What strikes me as odd. Bailey gets belters near eniugh every game and buendia doesnt. I think buendias been equally as disappointing 

People have been around the houses on this one a hundred times. Buendia is twice the footballer Bailey is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Is he ? His stats dont show that

I do agree that Buendia is a better footballer as in he’s better spotting a pass, effectiveness Bailey should be because of where he plays. 

Bailey probably is more effective but both are erratic. I think it’s why Goncalves and Williams seemed to be our top targets, immediate replacements for both. 

Edited by Nicho

Just now, Nicho said:

I do agree that Bailey is a better footballer as in he’s better spotting a pass effectiveness Bailey should be because of where he plays. 

Bailey probably is more effective but both are erratic. I think it’s why Goncalves and Williams seemed to be our top targets, immediate replacements for both. 

Agree. Both are erratic. Very inconsistent 

Id give both one more season with us and if they have poor seasons again it might be time to let one or both go.  Definitely in favour of bringing in competition 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Is he ? His stats dont show that

What stats are you looking at?

If all you're fixated on is goals and assists, that's a very narrow way of judging a footballer's contribution to a team.

Buendia's pass success rate is 78.6% over 2423 minutes of football in the league last season, compare that to Bailey's 69% over a lot less minutes (1984 to be exact). 

Bailey consistently gives the ball away and ruins Villa's attacks running into dead ends or, even worse, running the ball out of play or falling over it. 

Buendia gives the ball away less, and when he does it's usually trying a magical through ball or some other kind of progressive work to unlock a teammate or create an opportunity.

All Bailey ever seems to do is selfishly try and fail to show off and make himself look good. He's awful.

His defensive output also rates lower than Emi's. In terms of their footballing ability and what they bring to our setup overall, there's no contest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, est1874 said:

If all you're fixated on is goals and assists, that's a very narrow way of judging a footballer's contribution to a team.

Buendia's pass success rate is 78.6% over 2423 minutes of football in the league last season, compare that to Bailey's 69% over a lot less minutes (1984 to be exact). 

Bailey consistently gives the ball away and ruins Villa's attacks running into dead ends or, even worse, running the ball out of play or falling over it. 

Buendia gives the ball away less, and when he does it's usually trying a magical through ball or some other kind of progressive work to unlock a teammate or create an opportunity.

All Bailey ever seems to do is selfishly try and fail to show off and make himself look good. He's awful.

His defensive output also rates lower than Emi's. In terms of their footballing ability and what they bring to our setup overall, there's no contest.

Goals and assists there really isnt that much in it

Buendia 5 goals 2 assists last season 

Bailey 4 goals and 4 assists (slightly less games than buendia aa well)

Both not good enough stats for me for two players who cost us 70m

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Love to see how many players in the 30-35 mil bracket are banging in goals and assists for other teams, can't believe there are many, especially ones brought in from abroad or whose success was mainly in a lower league.

Buendia has a lot of supporting stats that show his overall contribution is pretty decent even if he should get more assists and goals, as someone pointed out on another thread golden age Grealish didn't actually deliver that many goals and assists, didn't mean his influence was rubbish. Not saying Buendia is at his level, not even close but he def does more than he gets credit for.

After a really awful spell under both Stevie G and even early days of Emery, Bailey -  started to show he is capable of a cut back, pass or cross that would lead to goals in the last embers of the season - he has the attributes, he's just been woefully inconsistent and lacking in confidence. Buendia gets too easily riled and needs to find space/positioning better. Both can hopefully push on with Emery coaching them.

I accept we need to rely less on both and both can certainly contribute more, but the constant criticism of both players is tedious and boring, both can do a job for us and both will be needed as we want to add to this squad not replace everyone.

We need better attacking options, Watkins is too isolated. I think we will sign another two attackers - if we sell Buendia or Bailey I won't be upset but perfectly relaxed about them getting another season also.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah so you just ignored everything else I said, and the stats which demonstate Buendia is better, okay great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, est1874 said:

Totally different players one is a winger the other is a creative attacking midfield so on the stats front it isn’t a fair comparison Buendia’s skill set suggests he should excel at ball retention. No doubt you will reply in a defensive manor I’m not suggesting your stats are wrong both players need to improve but I do believe Emery will persevere with Bailey.

Edited by gwi1890

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Yeah so you just ignored everything else I said, and the stats which demonstate Buendia is better, okay great.

Eh?

Assists and goals are the most important elements for attacking players

Would you say those two states for those two players is impressive?

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If you ignore Buendia defensive and pressing game than he's useless but so is ignoring that

• Like 1

I expect every player who hangs around to be even better under Unai’s management next season, that includes Leon Bailey.

We can’t just discard and write off players so quickly, we need a squad, we need options and we have had disruption with managers… Unai is here now and everything is on track. He’s more than likely going to be a bench player anyway and we could do with options, our squad was exposed as weak/light/thin last season…

Despite our frustrations, it’s easy to overlook his contributions. Still got some goals and assists at important times e.g. set up goals vs Man U and Spurs toward end of season. No doubt he can do a hell of a lot better, let’s see… like a few of our other players, hopefully he can avoid the disruption of injuries…

On 25/06/2023 at 20:11, gwi1890 said:

Agreed, usually played/started him when he was fit (something that needs addressing).

As much of a fan as I am of Berty (his technique more than anything), I was hugely disappointed by his poor showing when he was given a start and major opportunity vs Wolves. Bailey is capable of making an impact in games, plus we’ve invested a lot in him and need a greater return…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Â