Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

Bailey is not exactly, blessed with beating his man, is he?

No Bailey doesn't beat a man, he attempts to beat too many men, he needs to learn when to release the ball, has a tendancy to hold onto to it far to long rather than using the space he has created by attracting opposition players.

I'm taking a fresh look at my assessment of Gnonto after fresh evidence has surfaced.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

No Bailey doesn't beat a man, he attempts to beat too many men, he needs to learn when to release the ball, has a tendancy to hold onto to it far to long rather than using the space he has created by attracting opposition players.

I'm taking a fresh look at my assessment of Gnonto after fresh evidence has surfaced.

Gnonto is irritating but very good, there’s no denying it.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I'm very impressed with his numbers since Emery has come in. He's at 0.42 xG per 90 he's had total 2.7 xG and has scored 2 goals. 

Overall he has quality attacking numbers on fbref in the PL this season. He's doing well

Forget the numbers, have you watched his overall performance in every game? Just because you're finishing your chances/getting opportunities, doesn't mean you're not hindering the team as a whole. He has to step up and that's a fact.

On 06/02/2023 at 19:12, TRO said:

We seem to be good at signing wingers....where was we when Gnonto and Tete was being released.

I think the scouts need to be shown, what good ones resemble.

Leon seems incapable of beating a man, not a good trait for a winger.

Yeah Tete was impressive, Gnonto is relentless as well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A bit of both IMO.

He hasn't really been great, but he hasn't been as horrific as some would have you believe.

He actually started the game quite well, then it all went down hill.

Kamara and Emi are more liable than anyone for us losing the game, but the least favourite/ appointed scapegoat will always get the wrath.

He needs to do something though, whether that be bulk up and be more determined or it won't work for him here.

Seems to be one who plays well, when the team is playing well, but when it's a fire fight he shrinks.

Extremely frustrating because at his best he's a menace.

Needs to be taken out of the firing line for a while IMO.

Might be better as an impact sub.

When’s Traore is fit hopefully he gets a run in the teams. Trust me when I say fans will be begging for Bailey to come back after that ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, tinker said:

So what, you need a player to deliver on the day not in 4 years time, on that day Bailey delivered. In 4 years time Gnonto might be good enough or he might be still the same, loads of bling that doesn't translate to end product.

The fact he is Italys youngest ever goal scorer suggests he has something about him.  Have you even watched him play beyond the game against us?

Anyway back to Bailey. He’ll find some consistency I’m sure of it.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The fact he is Italys youngest ever goal scorer suggests he has something about him.  Have you even watched him play beyond the game against us?

Anyway back to Bailey. He’ll find some consistency I’m sure of it.

I have, i watched him against Cardiff in their cup game.

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Bailey is the new El Ghazi for me.

Will score plenty of good goals, but doesn't offer enough in general play, and you need to be scoring big numbers if your game is just goals.

He is better than El Ghazi, but I think I'd prefer Traore to get a run of games. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

El Ghazi would have been better if he had any sort of aggression in him, and didn't look to get a shot off all the time. He was also panicky on the ball. A shame as technically he's very sound.

El Ghazi was terrible.

• Like 1

My advice to all new signings would be to make sure they have an ordinary debut as possible, so expectations are not raised too high, or they'll have those expectations hanging around their neck forever and a day.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

He is better than El Ghazi, but I think I'd prefer Traore to get a run of games. 

He is, but we're also better than we were then, and he has cost us significantly more.

I didn't mean they were identical players, just have a similar kind of output and fan reaction. I like both players, and when they have good games, they're both capable of winning a match, but someone like Buendia is just doing so much more over the 90 mins usually.

• Like 1

He needs some competition and rotation/rest and that really goes for all wingers unless you're one of the elite ones.

Because their game is so high leverage (minimal touches and need maximal output) - only the elite ones do it over the course of a prem season (and rarely more than a few).

He does need better output though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think he's doing pretty well. We didn't lose on Saturday because of Bailey or Watkins. Our attacking game was good. 

I think he’s doing ok certainly not worthy of the abuse he gets on here, it was a combination of poor defending and not taking our chances, it’s not wrong to say Bailey should have buried his chance from the cut back and same of Ollie when Coutinho put him through on goal. Either way I think Bailey will be close to double figures goals and assists combined by end of the season.  

Â