Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

32 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Leon Bailey thread people...

Can see him scoring a hattrick if he starts against Bournemouth.

Do we think he'd be more dangerous starting in the PL or coming on against tired legs? 

Depending on how Rennes goes, I think he can be effective as both.

However, whilst it appears he is growing in confidence I think we should start him anyway.

Obviously he thrives off the wing, but don't underestimate him as a 10 either or further inside, he has quick feet and a great snapshot on him.

Plus a threat from set pieces and corners.

I think he'll be well up for it and we very well could see a strong full 90 from him.

So I'd say the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to starting him.

I mean, SG was insisting on starting him at a point where I didn't feel he deserved it, so I don't see why he wouldn't now, but stranger things have happened.

In all truth, Coutinho has had a quiet pre season.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Depending on how Renned goes, I think he can be effective as both.

However, whilst it appears he is growing in confidence I think we should start him anyway.

Obviously he thrives off the wing, but don't underestimate him as a 10 either or further inside, he has quick feet and a great snapshot on him.

I think he'll be well up for it and we very well could see a strong full 90 from him.

I mean, SG was insisting him at a point where I didn't feel he deserved it, so I don't see why he wouldn't now, but stranger things have happened.

I think I agree.

I think I would start him, especially against Bournemouth,  but there maybe some games I'd be less inclined to use him from the off.

Hoping we see more of the same against Rennes that confirms he's back to something like his best. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Depending on how Rennes goes, I think he can be effective as both.

I mean, SG was insisting on starting him at a point where I didn't feel he deserved it, so I don't see why he wouldn't now, but stranger things have happened.

Could have easily had 2 assists vs united from corners. Put in a beauty of a ball that bounced over Konsas leg and obviously the cross for the 2nd goal

5 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

At least all the ridiculous 'Bailey is rubbish now' chat has ended. That really just highlighted how so many people's opinions are utter garbage.

It was more that he apparently wasn't fast that had me stunned. Said with so much confidence too.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

At least all the ridiculous 'Bailey is rubbish now' chat has ended. That really just highlighted how so many people's opinions are utter garbage.

It shows that football is emotive and people react to what they see. Yes at times it’s over the top, but it doesn’t mean their opinion is garbage. 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It shows that football is emotive and people react to what they see. Yes at times it’s over the top, but it doesn’t mean their opinion is garbage. 

People saying Bailey is slow--that is garbage, to be fair.

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

People saying Bailey is slow--that is garbage, to be fair.

If Bailey is slow,then all I can say is that his slowness caught ManUre off guard at Optus stadium.

The only people saying he was slow were factually correct at the time they said it. He was slow. He had no pace following his injury,  and despite being played (suggesting he was recovered from injury), he wasn't hitting anything remotely close to his previous speed.

I said at the time,  I think he's still either injured (and we shouldn't be playing him) or he's got no confidence in his hamstrings. Whichever of those it was, looks like it was correct and thankfully his pace had returned. 

Tough to call people out for being factually correct at the time the said something. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

The only people saying he was slow were factually correct at the time they said it. He was slow. He had no pace following his injury,  and despite being played (suggesting he was recovered from injury), he wasn't hitting anything remotely close to his previous speed.

I said at the time,  I think he's still either injured (and we shouldn't be playing him) or he's got no confidence in his hamstrings. Whichever of those it was, looks like it was correct and thankfully his pace had returned. 

Tough to call people out for being factually correct at the time the said something. 

Can you show me the factual data to confirm this please? Someone's opinion isn't a fact.

11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I didn't call anyone out, just said I was stunned to read it. It was only a week or so ago and not with anything factual to back it up, more so just saying people were delusional to believe otherwise lol. I too was concerned about how much he appeared to be running in quicksand, but the notion that he wasn't fast or that it didn't matter that he was proven to be rapid previously because it was in a different league was...interesting. 

50 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

They weren't factually correct. People were claiming he'd lost his pace. 

It was utter nonsense. 

46 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Can you show me the factual data to confirm this please? Someone's opinion isn't a fact.

Alas no "stats" to prove this,  but he was beaten for pace by distinctly average footballers when we played Wolverhampton,  and again two weeks later when we played Leicester. This was 8 and 10 games after he'd supposedly come back from injury. 

Alas, the extended highlights aren't available that show where the ball was played to him and he couldnt beat his marker to the ball, or run past them with it. 

At that point,  he should have been fit. And yet he couldn't beat that well known speed demon Dewsbury-Hall in a foot race.

He was slow.

He isn't slow now.

• Like 2

Just now, MrBlack said:

Alas no "stats" to prove this,  but he was beaten for pace by distinctly average footballers when we played Wolverhampton,  and again two weeks later when we played Leicester. This was 8 and 10 games after he'd supposedly come back from injury. 

Alas, the extended highlights aren't available that show where the ball was played to him and he couldnt beat his marker to the ball, or run past them with it. 

At that point,  he should have been fit. And yet he couldn't beat that well known speed demon Dewsbury-Hall in a foot race.

He was slow.

He isn't slow now.

As I thought, cheers.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I didn't call anyone out, just said I was stunned to read it. It was only a week or so ago and not with anything factual to back it up, more so just saying people were delusional to believe otherwise lol. I too was concerned about how much he appeared to be running in quicksand, but the notion that he wasn't fast or that it didn't matter that he was proven to be rapid previously because it was in a different league was...interesting. 

Agree with this.  I'm defending those that said it when he was playing 90 minutes against Leicester, 10 games after coming back from injury. It was a concern at the time and your quicksand analogy is accurate.

Thankfully,  this preseason he seems to have come back a different person (or at least the person we signed). Gerrard himself commented that he now "trusts his body more".  If that isn't clear to you that there was an issue I can't help you.   It also seems pretty clear there isn't an issue since pre season started. Long may his injury free streak continue. 

And I still want him to start against Bournemouth. 

Not sure why people are starting to argue about this.  Against Everton he looked like dynamite - following his injury he appeared nowhere near as fast however and dare I say it, in some matches 'slow'.

However, he's clearly over that and now looks fast again which is good for everyone.  I'd imagine he will start against Bournemouth as things are at the moment.

• Like 2

Â