Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He also scored 3-4 in europa league so given that's a competition we want to be in next 2 years I'd say that's a better guide.

Pretty sure he actually scored v Rangers in the knock out rounds so I think Gerrard does want him to succeed but can't see it being in this formation tbh, he needs to stay out wide with some space to run into.

He played wide right yesterday and then moved wide left when Emi came on. Wide right is supposed to be his most favoured position. The formation was not the reason for his poor performance yesterday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt think bailey was that good but he wasnt as bad as some suggest on here. He certainly was better than coutinho was yesterday.

I dint understand though what the hells happened to his pace? He looked slow at points yesterday. He even got beaten for pace by bloody dewbury hall!

I think this is a case of how poor (or rather absent) Coutinho was rather than how not shit Bailey was.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

He played wide right yesterday and then moved wide left when Emi came on. Wide right is supposed to be his most favoured position. The formation was not the reason for his poor performance yesterday.

I actually posted a graphic on here the other day mate.

His best ratings over the past few years, have come as a CAM or CAM right, funnily enough.

• Shocked 1

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually posted a graphic on here the other day mate.

His best ratings over the past few years, have come as a CAM or CAM right, funnily enough.

I did see that. Selective memory! 😂

16 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Am I imagining it, or has Bailey lost some pace?

He looked like he might challenge Usain Bolt when he first arrived but not recently.

He couldn't beat any of the Leicester defenders for pace even though they had played 3 times in 6 days and their manager said were knackered.

Edited by AshVilla

On 23/04/2022 at 21:08, Genie said:

How so we consistently keep buying players for big money that don’t cut it at our club?

The enigma rolls on......

Maybe if we bought players we need, might help.

On 24/04/2022 at 18:23, lexicon said:

He's out of form and confidence - it's plain to see.

He's a quality player, though, and needs to be supported as he finds those things again. 

does form and confidence, stop you running fast.....just asking?

He is missing his Bratwurst, the sausage, that makes you run fast....especially if someone is waving one at you with a smiley face.🤣

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Am I imagining it, or has Bailey lost some pace?

He looked like he might challenge Usain Bolt when he first arrived but not recently.

Knowing our luck the injuries have probably done him in! 😂😢

• Sad 1

He's a quality player, though, and needs to be supported as he finds those things again. 

I'm really concerned. Pace isn't something that generally comes and goes and comes and goes. One day it is there and the next it isn't.

Will he be the player he was without the electric pace he once apparently had. That's the concern.

I think already we're looking at a player who may have already lost a main asset and as a result a huge chunk of value.

Edited by rodders0223

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Knowing our luck the injuries have probably done him in! 😂😢

That was my own conclusion.

It always seems that the closer to peak performance athletes get the more vulnerable they get.

Muscle-tears seem the most common result.

I heard some retired old pro say the other week, that he never suffered a hamstring injury because he never ran fast enough.

It rang true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

does form and confidence, stop you running fast.....just asking?

He is missing his Bratwurst, the sausage, that makes you run fast....especially if someone is waving one at you with a smiley face.🤣

I'd say it can stop you from performing at your best, sure, and that would extend to running at full tilt - you might ask why don't runners always perform consistently in their events too - psychology no doubt plays a part.

No to mention with injuries that lay a person up for a long time, you're going to suffer from muscular atrophy to a degree and it'll take to get it back.

There are many factors at play, surely?

Exactly. What I find rather amusing is many of our fans want to sign younger players and help develop them but wont give a player who was one of the most highly rated youngish wingers last season time to settle. With comments like, we should have signed Bissouma before he joined Brighton and save £30m.. He would never develop here, with how impatient we are.

Bailey is low on confidence, match sharpness and still hasn't had the chance to put in a run of games because of injuries. He joined us late'ish, meaning he got basically no pre-season with us and players need time and games to get used to the Premier league. We must be more patient.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I'm really concerned. Pace isn't something that generally comes and goes and comes and goes. One day it is there and the next it isn't.

Will he be the player he was without the electric pace he once apparently had. That's the concern.

I think already we're looking at a player who may have already lost a main asset and as a result a huge chunk of value.

Confidence will absolutely make a massive difference in how quick a football player is. Confidence will affect factors such as self belief and self efficacy, it is the belief that you can an execute action. If he hesitates or doubts if he'll can beat another player or reach a ball, then he'll struggle to do so. Even Usain Bolt wouldn't look as quick with low self-efficacy (his "cocky" attitude, is proof of ridiculous amounts of confidence and high self-efficacy).

In Bailey's case, he'll also be struggling for match sharpness and fitness, which will contribute both physically and mentally.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

To who?

Good question.

I’ve had a bad feeling about Bailey since the weird day he signed. Sometimes it just feels off, and this has felt off from the start. My hunch is he is another in a long long listed of wasted big money signings. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That was my own conclusion.

It always seems that the closer to peak performance athletes get the more vulnerable they get.

Muscle-tears seem the most common result.

I heard some retired old pro say the other week, that he never suffered a hamstring injury because he never ran fast enough.

It rang true.

I watched a YouTube interview with Owen saying this happened to him pretty early in his career, and he basically stopped trying to reach full speed and stopped running on to balls. It's crossed my mind too. Having said that though, one of my first impressions of Bailey was being disappointed at his lack of pace back in his first few games. Then I think the only time he's really got some speed going was when he injured himself. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I watched a YouTube interview with Owen saying this happened to him pretty early in his career, and he basically stopped trying to reach full speed and stopped running on to balls. It's crossed my mind too. Having said that though, one of my first impressions of Bailey was being disappointed at his lack of pace back in his first few games. Then I think the only time he's really got some speed going was when he injured himself. 

Michael Owen is the perfect example.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'd say it can stop you from performing at your best, sure, and that would extend to running at full tilt - you might ask why don't runners always perform consistently in their events too - psychology no doubt plays a part.

No to mention with injuries that lay a person up for a long time, you're going to suffer from muscular atrophy to a degree and it'll take to get it back.

There are many factors at play, surely?

fair enough.

Â